BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Linux-Gourmet Search Option-Time and Accuracy
Update Regarding search criteria:
re:
*Linux/(Windows) Gourmet Recipe Manager (Gourmet AKA)
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-recipe-manager-gourmet-aka.html#post15079453

Search function appears to working properly. If I add "CA Vanilla Custard" , I receive a list of all recipes that contain the phrase CA Vanilla Custard for the specifier "Everything"
If I search specifier "ingredients", I receive all the recipes that contain CA Vanilla Custard in the ingredients only.
If I search "TFA sweetener 2.5 %" only in the notes section (the search parameter will not work for % specifier), I placed a copy of the ingredients in the notes section by copying the ingredients section in block form. This allows me to search in the specifier "notes" section and find all the recipes that contain "TFA sweetener 2.5 %" with the % parameter. This is a workaround step for the ingredient search % parameter. This workaround is necessary in this case because Gourmet was written with respect to cooking type recipes.

If I'm doing a 7 different flavor e liquid DIY, I can work with 7 different bottles and one syringe filled with a flavor concentrate and find only those bottles/mix recipe that require that particular flavor concentrate. This saves me a lot of time searching recipes and washing out the syringes between mixing. This time saver also improves accuracy of mix and tends to eliminate mistakes.
As was said before in the first post,
this program appears to be near completely scalable

Note:
"This thread is for Linux folks who do not want to mess around with Wine*

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Found it...

Note:
"This thread is for Linux folks who do not want to mess around with Wine*

Is it OK if I am using Xenix? j/k

Good points have been made. Gourmet could probably be branched off to create a different version more in-tune with what we are looking for. There is also an ECF member here who started one of the web based juice calcs... I'll grab their name again as they may be interested in having a terra version of their cloud app.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Gourmet could probably be branched off to create a different version more in-tune with what we are looking for

I agree.

There is also an ECF member here who started one of the web based juice calcs... I'll grab their name again as they may be interested in having a terra version of their cloud app.

Many many thanks.

Definition:
terra version = all in one hooked up Calc. and Recipe manager that is a separate downloaded program from the Linux package manager? This sounds like a real challenge.
The terra version would be the best of all worlds. If this is your thinking -- outstanding! If not, a thought. This terra version could be incorporated under the Gourmet name or called something like Vape Gourmet...a decision for Gourmet.

If the terra version is a no go, another workaround is feasible but not clean.

This workaround would go something like this: Contact the ecigvape (cloud calculator which I'm familiar with, but not necessarily the best one out there to my knowledge) developers to see if they can export the data file with the import " File>file" request command rather than the "File> import webpage" file command to fit the Gourmet dump and fix/scale procedure as in load raw data and manipulate.

Gourmet commands from file>:
import file = data is automatically massaged/manipulated to fit a fix format for almost no user data manipulation required. This procedure for short could be called a Cloud handshake. The second most desirable Linux solution.

import webpage = data has to be manually manipulated by the user to accomplish basic use of the Gourmet features. This form is being used now because ecigvape cloud calculator is not set up to download seamlessly to Gourmet.

The "import file command" from whomever s calculator would be the key desire here which would require a cloud handshake between the Gourmet-GitHub and Calculator-ecigvape folks.
The Gourmet-GitHub folks would have to allow % values.
Calculator-ecigvape folks would probably package the values in the "import file" format.

I'm really not sure of what precisely which of the two proposed solutions (Terra or Cloud handshake) is best.

That being said, any question suggestions/interest will be appreciated.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
I agree.

Many many thanks.

Definition:
terra version = all in one hooked up Calc. and Recipe manager that is a separate downloaded program from the Linux package manager? This sounds like a real challenge.
The terra version would be the best of all worlds. If this is your thinking -- outstanding! If not, a thought. This terra version could be incorporated under the Gourmet name or called something like Vape Gourmet...a decision for Gourmet.

If the terra version is a no go, another workaround is feasible but not clean.

--- truncated ---

That being said, any question suggestions/interest will be appreciated.

The 'terra' reference is basically just what I call non-cloud versions. So, basically.... web sites/apps are cloud apps and something I run local is a terra app. This reference can die out here if preferred.

Do you have a direct link to the ecigvape calc you are talking about? The only thing I knew of from them was the web page, which I didn't think actually had a recipe database, but instead put the information in the bookmarked URL.

I agree, recipe importation is key, no matter where you import from. I also agree that the less end user interaction required, the better! My main concern with easy importation of recipes is that it might tick off other recipe calc sites, etc. I see a lot of the online calc are generating revenue via ads/etc. I figure the easiest way to smooth out that concern would be to offer an easily parsed/digested export option and that any 'import from' option should include a matching 'post to' option. Then it's a two-way street that can benefit everyone. How much of the 'export to' work is performed by the linux users app versus by the recipe site is up in the air though. It would be really easy for an app to have a standard method of exporting recipe information... include information on that format within the app help and if a site wasn't to accept that information, then they could follow some simple instructions to add that to their site. I really think a simple standardized format for recipes should be in play, and I figure multiple people have already suggested this over and over again.

I can add '%' or 'perc' to Gourmet as a default option, no problem there. However, I am now wondering if this software is the 'right' software to modify and am going to spend a bit of time looking around to see what else is available.

I figure the goal of using Gourmet was to find something specifically useful for offline linux use without having to install too many pre-requisites... without the aid of WINE... which gives us a wide array of technologies to choose from.

For me, a main objective is to take a list of flavors on-hand and use that as search criteria for what recipes I can make with only one or more of those flavors. I know the use case of the software will be considerably different for the various types of end-users, and I would be interested to see a list of features everyone would like and/or interesting features available at other calcs/databases even if we don't use them (like flavor inventory management).

In discussions with others, the idea of end price was brought up and someone stated they didn't like nor use that feature... I agree that I 'probably' wouldn't fill in the cost portion... but it seems like I can see this being used and how nice would it be if at certain inventory levels the user was warned and if the warning included a previously stored link the user entered for where they buy that flavor from...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
All statements from last post --right on.

Do you have a direct link to the ecigvape calc you are talking about? The only thing I knew of from them was the web page, which I didn't think actually had a recipe database, but instead put the information in the bookmarked URL.
Negative.

Next step to post a new thread requesting email contact for ecigvape.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread