liquid crackling/popping in toptank

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Today my toptank started crackling when I vape and I get sharp "popping" on my tongue sometimes- from eliquid? Not sure. I am using I believe a 60/40 eliquid, I have read this could be causing the coil to flood or something, something about the liquid being too thin and flooding the cotton? Can someone verify this? Should I switch to a vg-dominant eliquid? I don't have any vg-dominant eliquid right now, since I am just switching from a refillable cigalike. Is there anything I can do to stop it from doing this right now?

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Yes, a thicker juice (higher vg) will help resolve that coil flooding/crackling/popping issue.

What tank are you using? And are you using stock coils, or rebuildable?
What type of mod?
Thanks! I'm using a Kanger toptank nano, ssocc 0.5 ohm coils, on a subvod.
Stinks I need higher vg because I lovelovelove the flavor I am using now but the company doesn't make it in higher vg.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Yes, a thicker juice (higher vg) will help resolve that coil flooding/crackling/popping issue.

What tank are you using? And are you using stock coils, or rebuildable?
What type of mod?

No, the wicking will support Max Vg or 70/30

Op, do you keep your tanks upright or lay them Down(Don't!) on one side?
Do you have the Air Flow partially closed off?
Do you take Strong Draws?
Does the Mod sit for Long periods of time?

Excess Fluid can build up it the air tube - Both e-liquid and Condensation - This is common but not Flooding.
Excess build up -( ignore and hope it it clears ) - can lead to flooding by reducing clear air passage.
Simplest solution is tip tank base high and gently blow through the Air inlet.
Any excess will move out the drip tip
Wipe and proceed to vape.

*There is no magic, it is a balance of several little things that make a tank work properly*

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
No, the wicking will support Max Vg or 70/30

Op, do you keep your tanks upright or lay them Down(Don't!) on one side?
Do you have the Air Flow partially closed off?
Do you take Strong Draws?
Does the Mod sit for Long periods of time?

Excess Fluid can build up it the air tube - Both e-liquid and Condensation - This is common but not Flooding.
Excess build up -( ignore and hope it it clears ) - can lead to flooding by reducing clear air passage.
Simplest solution is tip tank base high and gently blow through the Air inlet.
Any excess will move out the drip tip
Wipe and proceed to vape.

*There is no magic, it is a balance of several little things that make a tank work properly*
I leave it upright. I did have the air flow partially closed off initially, I was used to a less airy draw but I do find on the full air setting it helps the popping a bit and I enjoy it now. I may be taking too strong of draws, will have to try different things. I have partly cleared out the air passage, I removed the base with the coil and base of the tank and have blown it out and dabbed the inside with paper towel and gotten some liquid. I would take the top of the tank off and clear out the upper air passage but I can't get the darn top off the thing. It is supposed to be both top and bottom fill... I tried a wrench and couldn't get it, and scraped some paint, so I am just doing bottom-fill. I haven't taken the whole tank apart to clean all the passageways since I only have a little liquid on hand, can't afford more right now, and don't want to dump any out... so the top passageways have not been cleared out. I do find liquid in them, though. I don't know. Maybe I need to draw more gently. I am finding that when it is popping it is not producing much vapor, but if I use it a bit more with longer draws it helps a bit with both the popping and vapor production.

Being broke af is not fun when you have to conserve every ml of liquid. lol. Long story but my husband and I have had some changes in income and we won't be living comfortably until we move at the end of the month.

And thank you, everyone who has offered help :)

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Being broke af is not fun when you have to conserve every ml of liquid. lol. Long story but my husband and I have had some changes in income and we won't be living comfortably until we move at the end of the month.

Wish you best of luck with supply. Moving to a well designed tank always results in higher consumption(per use) There are several excellent prices suppliers with acceptable e-liquids is larger quantities.
Always a good idea to have a little stash for emergencies.

120 mL Ejuice - Only the Finest Premium flavors - $15 Each
Steal of the Deal - Yaeliq
and others.

So, you got the Topcap Nano or topcap Mini tank?

11:10 into video

I prefer rubber grip Gloves to Pliers.
First time disassembly on many tanks is difficult. Soaking in Hot water helps free stuck parts. Freezing also works.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Thanks for the tip! Will have to get me some rubber grip gloves. I wonder if regular latex medical gloves would work at all? I know they help with unscrewing "stuck" piercing jewelry, lol. But a tank may require real gloves. :) I got the Toptank Nano with it as part of a kit... Kangertech SUBVOD Starter Kit $34.95
I took it apart and blew it out real good, there was some liquid in the air passage, including in the top air passage, but as soon as I use it it is popping again. Yesterday after some use the popping ceased and went to the normal slight crackle... no sure what is going on exactly. Maybe I just have to work on my vaping draw technique. Not sure.

Reactions: wvducklady

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Make sure you always leave a little air space in the tank when filling. It needs the bubble to set pressure balance. Otherwise, yes, you can have a mess on hand.
If first use is sort of wet(over wicking) Fire before inhaling to remove(vaporize) liquid from the coil. After a few times it should start to clear up. 1 second should suffice.
Keep the AFC full open for now, until you get comfortable in use.

Found you a few other decent vendors for price/quality - nothing PREMIUM - but good liquids
Vape Caviar

Ejuice
Check their specialshttps://www.ejuicemafia.com/

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
I honestly cannot even figure out how to fill this thing more than half-way, I can only get the bottom off to bottom-fill and filling any more than half way and it'll just go down the air passage. I am an idiot. lol
I found a vapor shop that markets almost solely to dripping and stuff and they carry almost entirely vg-dominant liquids, the lowest vg liquids they carry are the 60/40 moon mountain which is what I got as they are clearancing it out for cheap, in order to replace it with the higher-vg (70/30?) moon mountain. This shop has a reputation for carrying quality stuff. I expect I can buy some decent high-vg stuff there. I find the staff are hit-or-miss, some of them are like, unless you are making your own coils and dripping and all this they virtually ignore you. The other day I had the sales guy deliberately ignore me and walk away when I tried to make some small talk. They're some trendy pretentious vape hangout where the "cool kids" go that also sells beer and kratom. I think it's a neat idea, since I like beer and kratom, but I don't find them generally very welcoming or friendly. But I will make quick stops to buy liquid, and the guy there tonight was actually really helpful and friendly. Thanks for suggesting vape caviar, I will check them out. I love tasting before buying though, but would be open to ordering based on reviews and reputation.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I honestly cannot even figure out how to fill this thing more than half-way, I can only get the bottom off to bottom-fill and filling any more than half way and it'll just go down the air passage. I am an idiot. lol
I found a vapor shop that markets almost solely to dripping and stuff and they carry almost entirely vg-dominant liquids, the lowest vg liquids they carry are the 60/40 moon mountain which is what I got as they are clearancing it out for cheap, in order to replace it with the higher-vg (70/30?) moon mountain. This shop has a reputation for carrying quality stuff. I expect I can buy some decent high-vg stuff there. I find the staff are hit-or-miss, some of them are like, unless you are making your own coils and dripping and all this they virtually ignore you. The other day I had the sales guy deliberately ignore me and walk away when I tried to make some small talk. They're some trendy pretentious vape hangout where the "cool kids" go that also sells beer and kratom. I think it's a neat idea, since I like beer and kratom, but I don't find them generally very welcoming or friendly. But I will make quick stops to buy liquid, and the guy there tonight was actually really helpful and friendly. Thanks for suggesting vape caviar, I will check them out. I love tasting before buying though, but would be open to ordering based on reviews and reputation.

I suggest looking for additional shops near by. Good to have more than one local source anyway in an emergency. Someone will likely be geared more to mainstream Vapers. They may be able to help with that top too.;)

Bottom filling Will leave space. If you get the top working, remember to leave a bubble.

@GPC2012 said he got in touch with you about sending out a few e-liquids? We have a few groups around here so I set off a Bat Signal(LOL)
We also have a Pay it Forward (PIF) section if you need or decide to offer anything.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
So I took apart my tank today and cleaned it out... When I removed the coil I decided to clean around the little metal pin thing underneath the coil and there was a bit of eliquid on it.... it didn't seem like it was supposed to be there? Anyone?

Almost every bottom air will accumulate a little e-liquid on the lower structure. Your wicks are directly above with the Air channel running through. Gravity brings collected liquid and condensation down.

Reactions: EBates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread