List of durable cheapish mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I am ABSOLUTELY over iSticks, the last istick 40W mini didn't last a long. Getting an EVIC Mini VTWo now. Besides, I absolute dislike when the button is on the other side, opposite of the RTA. It gives me an "awkward" feeling holding the device. Ironically, my much older istick 30W still works like on the 1st day. Nevertheless, I think those are cheap devices and there is better than iSticks.

Reactions: Marst

xwarp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Tucson AZ
After using a Sigelei 100w Plus at 28-30 watts for a year, I decided it was time to look at something that was a single cell unit.

The Kanger Kbox Mini Platinum caught my eye.

I've been using the 1st one I bought for about 3 weeks now I think and it's been a great little unit so far. The stainless steel case is no joke considering the 30 dollar price tag on it.

Due to my hoarding of some things that I particularly like, I now have 6 spares.

Vaporbeast has these for 28.97 and if you use the coupon code VAPEON , the price drops to 24.62

Here's a tear down video of this mod:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Catfish (focus on authentic new atties, and right this minute swamped rolling out a DNA200 squonker mod) or Apex (clones, and mostly out of stock right this minute) or Reosmods.
Some atties lately come with a BF pin, too...

Wheres a good place to get attys for a reo, or just the center pins for other attys?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Figuring out a reliable, smart, cheap stockpile for me has become part of the hobby. I picked 10 years for psychological reasons. I don't want this to become neurotic.

Phase 1. 3 liters of nic should last me 11.5 years ($160 including shipping and amber glass for the freezer). I could vape the SV rda clone from fasttech for the rest of my days so 5 of those ($46). I like the Pico so 5 of those ($130 from FT). Atomizers, mods, and nic are the essentials and I've covered it for--$336. Because they are literally dollar store items I'll have enough redundant o-rings, drip tips, rebuilding tools and wire to go the distance, can't be more than $50-75 for several of everything, like Noah's Ark.

Then I'll procrastinate and see how things develop with the gangsters in Washington. May be the courts will give us an injunction that delays the rules so there will be lots more time. If things get really grim I'll try to do phase 2 which is redundancy in the form of another batch of nic from a different supplier, 5 more mods from a different manufacturer in case there are shelf life problems with the Picos. I'd pick 5 vtc minis if I had to decide right now. Then 5 more SV rda's because I really do like them, what the hell. Now my chances of lasting 10 years are looking pretty good and may be a lot more and I'm still far from spending $1,000.

I got one of my brothers vaping and he's not responding very well to the stockpile idea so far but I won't freeze him out no matter what so may be Phase 2 will get more priority so I can cover him (and never let him hear the end of it).

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I've had one of my Joyetech VTC Minis for about 7 months with zero issues. I am an all-day chain vaper, and I don't even want to know how many times I've pressed the fire button on this thing. :thumbs: Another one has seen about 6 months of use, though less frequently. No issues with it either. I've heard of loose 510 connector troubles on these from some people, but I haven't had a problem with either one. The only complaint I have is that the 510 connector is pretty shallow and requires a spacer of some kind on certain atomizers. I use the POM heat insulation gaskets from Fasttech, which work great, though they may require a slight adjustment of the center pin on your atty. The Mini can be had on its own, sans the matching atty (which I don't like anyway) for around $40 or so.
I second this!! I use my eVic Mini everyday for 6 months with ZERO issues

Reactions: TVC70

Marst

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Austria
50W Heatvape Invader Mini 18650 VW MOD Express kit
Rubber coated.
water resistant, dust resistant and shock proof.
Normal 39$ but clearance at http://www.heavengifts.com/Heatvape-Invader-Mini-VW-MOD-Express-Kit.html with -70%.
I have it for two years don't ask me how often I dropped it, (several tanks ruined) and on a diving trip it's been over an hour drowned in saltwater. Blowed out with compressed air from my bottle, and it worked again.
Only problem sometimes after the automatic shut down it jumps back to 10W on turning it on again.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Just wanting to chime in again, got two Evic VTWos. They're definitely "ok", affordable, simple etc. but have all features you could need.
The only issue I had with ONE of them is that my wife has the habit to constantly DROP them from the desk when they're connected to the USB on our stone floor, so the USB port inside one of them got lose and "came out" when I pulled the wire. However it was a total piece of cake to disassemble it (unlike the isticks which are a pain) and I soldered this part quickly back on. Internally, the PCB seems to be of much better quality than the isticks. The device itself, for the price, although I wouldn't call it "military quality", is "ok quality" and I cannot complain.

The included clear silicone sleeve I think is crappy, but the common available 3rd party silicone sleeves (ebay etc.) are very good. They are not slippery as the included one and feel as good as a leather sleeve. (For me it's important that mods are protected and give a good grip so I always get sleeves or cases)

What I like:
Size and weight are "just right".
Button on the "right" side. (Where the connector is)
OK build quality
Stupidly simple to disassemble if necessary for whatever reason
Holds charge a LONG time with LG 18650 compared to istick, but then we almost always vape connected to USB.
No flimsy etc. buttons
Clock on the display
Goes up to 75W

There may well be better "cheapish" mods but I can't complain.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Reos (for the umpteenth time) and tube mechs (clones or authentic). I have used many regulated mods and have never killed one but most of my mods currently in use, and in my stash, are mechs.

No reason to "stay away" from direct connect mods as long as you follow a few simple rules, like making sure the 510 connection on your atty extends far enough past the threads of the 510 connector, knowing Ohm's Law, and using the right batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread