List of Government Officials, Agencies and Organizations to send our letters of concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yvilla, for putting me back on track. Here's a message I just sent to the committee at help_comments@help.senate.gov :

Dear Committee Members,

As a member of the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, you will soon be considering a bill related to FDA oversight of nicotine and tobacco products. I am writing as a concerned citizen and a case study in the effectiveness of the new so-called e-cigarettes, an electronic vapor-delivery system that may or may not contain nicotine. And I am one of the many "accidental quitters" who happened upon this safer alternative and abruptly quit smoking after a 30+-year, pack-a-day habit. I used to shush doctors when they'd start to talk to me about quitting. "I don't even want to hear it, you're wasting your breath and my time." I had NO intention of quitting smoking less than 2 months ago -- until I received my first e-cig. Since then, I've quit tobacco cold turkey, and it's been nothing but positive. No more losing sleep from lying awake at night hacking. No more waking in the middle of the night and going on the porch for a smoke. No more fire hazard from lighters. No more ashes, burn holes, smelly butts to discard.

Dear Congressmember, my story is typical of thousands of others. Finally a way to give up all those toxic chemicals and quit polluting the atmosphere, and still satisfy a craving we're going to yield to one way or the other. Scores of doctors and scientists have come out in support of e-cigs. The only thing their prohibition would do is keep lining Big Tobacco's pockets.

Joel Niztkin, MD, MPH, DPA, FACPM, Chair, Tobacco Control Task Force, American Association of Public Health Physicians says of this product, “We have every reason to believe the hazard posed by electronic cigarettes would be much lower than 1% of that posed by (tobacco) cigarettes. The testing guidelines in the current tobacco act (circulating through Congress) would represent a ban on electronic cigarettes, (yet) if we get all tobacco smokers to switch from regular cigarettes (to electronic cigarettes), we would eventually reduce the US death toll from more than 400,000 a year to less than 4,000, maybe as low as 400.”

Jacob Sullum, senior editor at Reason magazine, says, “Telling smokers they may not use electronic cigarettes until they’re approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.”

William T. Godshall, MPH, Executive Director, Smokefree Pennsylvania, says, “Smokefree Pennsylvania strongly urges the FDA to consider the enormous public health disaster the agency would create by banning electronic cigarettes. Denying 45 million (tobacco) cigarette smokers access to this exponentially less hazardous alternative would result in millions of preventable deaths among smokers and millions of nonsmokers continuing to be exposed to tobacco smoke pollution. It is absurd to even contemplate protecting the deadliest nicotine products (tobacco cigarettes) from market competition by these less hazardous nicotine products.”

With these points in mind, I respectfully urge you to amend the Kennedy FDA tobacco bill to allow e-cigarettes and other smokefree tobacco/nicotine products to remain on the market and to be reasonably and responsibly regulated as a separate category of tobacco products. Do not impose an outright ban on them or allow them to be seized at customs. Allow entrepreneurs to go into business developing and distributing them during the testing process. The market for e-cigs is exploding now, with supply struggling to keep up with demand, as generations of hard-core smokers seek an alternative they can literally live with.

Please don't force me to go back to tobacco! I haven't gotten rid of my loose tobacco and cigarette-stuffing supplies in the event that e-cigs be officially banned in the U.S., but I would love to toss them for good, once I know the government will not prevent me from using this safer alternative.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Very respectfully,
I will now send the same message, substituting each individual's name, to all the members. Feel free, one and all, to adapt and personalize my message and send your own!

Cheers,

~~Cheryl

Committee members, again, from their website:

Democrats by Rank

Edward Kennedy (MA)
Christopher Dodd (CT)
Tom Harkin (IA)
Barbara A. Mikulski (MD)
Jeff Bingaman (NM)
Patty Murray (WA)
Jack Reed (RI)
Bernard Sanders (I) (VT)
Sherrod Brown (OH)
Robert P. Casey, Jr. (PA)
Kay Hagan (NC)
Jeff Merkley (OR)

Republicans by Rank

Michael B. Enzi (WY)Judd Gregg (NH)
Lamar Alexander (TN)
Richard Burr (NC)
Johnny Isakson (GA)
John McCain (AZ)
Orrin G. Hatch (UT)
Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Tom Coburn, M.D. (OK)
Pat Roberts (KS)

Congressmembers get a ton of email every day. And phone calls are answered by staffers who will transmit a message in shorthand, perhaps even as a checked box on a form. Since I believe faxes stand out more (being rarer) and may actually even be read by the addressee, I have customized the message in my previous post and faxed it to each HELP committee member when possible. In case anyone else wants to do likewise, here's a list of fax numbers. Area code in all cases is 202. These are their DC offices. Hope this helps!

~~Cheryl

(Chairman) Edward Kennedy (MA) 224-2417
Christopher Dodd (CT) 224-1083
Tom Harkin (IA) 224-9369
Barbara A. Mikulski (MD) 224-8858
Patty Murray (WA) 224-0238
Jack Reed (RI) 224-4680
Bernard Sanders (VT) 228-0776
Sherrod Brown (OH) 228-6321
Robert P. Casey, Jr. (PA) 228-0604
Kay Hagan (NC) 228-2563
Jeff Merkley (OR) 228-3997
(Ranking Member) Michael B. Enzi (WY) 226-0359
Lamar Alexander (TN) 228-3398
Richard Burr (NC) 228-2981
Johnny Isakson (GA) 228-0724
John McCain (AZ) 228-2862
Orrin G. Hatch (UT) 224-6331
Lisa Murkowski (AK) 224-5301
Tom Coburn, M.D. (OK) 224-6008
Pat Roberts (KS) 224-3514

No fax #:
Jeff Bingaman (NM)
Senator Jeff Bingaman: Legislative Issues E-Mail Form
Judd Gregg (NH)
Phone: (202) 224-3324 (does not respond to non-NH email)

A really great letter Cheryl! Thank you.
Thanks, yvilla! I really hope people take the time to do this -- I guess it's coming up for a vote on Tuesday! Wow, they're really ramming this one through. Let's make sure they have all the facts before they cast their votes!

~~Cheryl

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Here are names and phone numbers of Senate HELP staff dealing with FDA Tobacco Bill

All phone numbers begin with (202)-224

Senator Staffer Phone #
Kennedy Jeff Teitz 4-0767
Dodd Tamar Magarik Haro 4-2823
Harkin Daniel Stevens 4-3254
Mikulski Brigid Houton 4-4654
Bingaman Fred Isasi 4-5521
Murray Paula Burg 4-2621
Reed Seth GersonTopher Spiro 4-4642
Brown Jessica McNeice, Robert Downing 4-2315
Casey Morna Murray, Gillian Mueller 4-6324
Hagen 4-6342
Merkley 4-3753

Enzi Amy Mulberg 4-6770
Gregg Elizabeth Wroe 4-3324
Alexander Mary Sumpter Johnson 4-4944
Burr Josh MartinChris Wall 4-3154
Isakson Tyler Thompson 4-3643
McCain Talal Mir 4-2235
Hatch 4-5251
Murkowski Amanda Makki 4-6665
Coburn Stephanie Carlton, Evan Feinberg 4-5754
Roberts Alison Anway 4-4774

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Senate HELP Cmte fax numbers are listed at beginning of this thread.
I don't think staff have individual fax numbers, but they do have individual phone numbers.
Any calls made to Senate HELP Cmte should ask for these staff, as the receptionists who answer the phones have no influence over the Senators (but these staffers so).

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
"Accidental quitters" is a clever description, and catchy. I suggest we use it more often in this campaign.

I also don't know why this bill is related to government pensions. These are two separate and entirely unrelated issues. Two different bills? yvilla???

I like "accidental quitters" too.

I'm far from in the know on the legislative process, but I do think congresspeople sometimes package even unrelated issues into one bill as a tactical matter. Sometimes support for one thing is expected to be high enough so that it's thought that the other tacked on issue will benefit (inertia?).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I do think congresspeople sometimes package even unrelated issues into one bill as a tactical matter. Sometimes support for one thing is expected to be high enough so that it's thought that the other tacked on issue will benefit (inertia?).
That's exactly right, yvilla. That's how we get so much pork. Let's say a "Bridge to Nowhere" in Alaska wouldn't have a prayer of passing all on its own. Well, they just tack it onto the budget or something, that basically HAS to pass, and rather than bog Congress down arguing for months over every little nickel and dime amendment, they just let it slide.

~~Cheryl

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The Senate HELP Committee has postponed its scheduled markup sesssion on Kennedy's tobacco bill until next Tuesday (May 19) at 10AM.

So we have an additional week to urge Senate HELP Cmte members to support amendments that would keep e-cigarettes on the market and prevent the FDA from banning them as drugs or drug-devices.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
This is something I've been wondering about too. In lieu of anything else, I guess it's something we can independantly collect. Several years ago I was with an org. that handed out a collection of insider emails that were updated regularly but I recently checked and couldn't find an updated collection of emails (email blast). Until someone with resources like that shows up, it's looking them up from publicaly available information.

Wow, the last post in here is from 2009!

Who can provide more recent phone numbers, email address, and Twitter accounts?

Or, give me a hint on how to collect those, and I will give it a try myself.

Ellyson4

Moved On
Mar 28, 2020
  • Deleted by classwife

Ellyson4

Moved On
Mar 28, 2020
  • Deleted by classwife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread