List of vendors Age Verification requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Everybody should read this .pdf file. They say in plain language that they collect SSN, not last 4 of SSN (page 2). It also say what else they collect which I've already included at the top of the list. As far as I know most Bluecheck vendors are only asking for last 4 of SSN.

What good is the last 4 of the SSN if they don't have the whole SSN? :blink: Can any of these AV services get our whole SSN? :w00t:

The last 4 numbers are frequently used as a cross check for identity. It's just one more data point to see if you have the right John Doe born 1/1/1960. People move, people change phone numbers, people don't change the last 4 numbers of their SSN. Even Veratad will collect it in certain situations, although it sounds like they don't necessarily keep it on file with your other information.

They should not retrieve your full SSN unless you give them permission, for example in a credit application.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
So here is my opinion, NO to ss#, BUT as long as I am able (allowed) to take the photo of my ID and block out the DL# and unneeded info, I don't mind... BUT (again) if they want an undoctored ID photo, NOPETY NOPE!

Hey celti :) I'm with you, but no photo ID/driver's license unless I can black out my photo and driver's lic # but I doubt THAT would fly. :blush:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
The last 4 numbers are frequently used as a cross check for identity. It's just one more data point to see if you have the right John Doe born 1/1/1960. People move, people change phone numbers, people don't change the last 4 numbers of their SSN. Even Veratad will collect it in certain situations, although it sounds like they don't necessarily keep it on file with your other information.

They should not retrieve your full SSN unless you give them permission, for example in a credit application.
Yeah, they shouldn't but hit happens .. Tell ya a quick story. The next door neighbor used to work for the FL Dept of Children and Families. In her position using only my old lady's name and address she was able to access 'Gita's social security and bank information.
With that info she went to Target and opened a debit account which she test used
to buy 20 dollars worth of stuff. She got popped only because they were doing a log check and found she had accessed info not pertaining to her job. especially since my old lady isn't a client of DCF.

'Gita got free ID and credit protection out of it and the neighbor lost her job..but wasn't prosecuted.
It ain't supposed to happen but it does.
My old dentist's assistant bought herself a pair of Italian high heel sneakers with my credit card..and on and on.
Ya have to be paranoid, trust no one, and assume anything is possible.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would think not but it still makes me nervous. I'm not very trusting where a buck could be made.

If you have ever had a credit card or bank account, all that information is already available from the three big credit rating companies in the US. And they sell all that information, although typically aggregated, to marketers for an idea of average income based on where you live to people with credit cards from Michael's would probably like targeted mailings for craft supplies.

They also can provide identity verification on individuals based on the headers of your file, namely name, address, DOB and the last 4 numbers of your SSN (big surprise, huh?) without providing any credit information along with that info. And they charge a small fee for each inquiry as well, which likely is paid by the actual age verification service.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Yeah, they shouldn't but hit happens .. Tell ya a quick story. The next door neighbor used to work for the FL Dept of Children and Families. In her position using only my old lady's name and address she was able to access 'Gita's social security and bank information.
With that info she went to Target and opened a debit account which she test used
to buy 20 dollars worth of stuff. She got popped only because they were doing a log check and found she had accessed info not pertaining to her job. especially since my old lady isn't a client of DCF.

'Gita got free ID and credit protection out of it and the neighbor lost her job..but wasn't prosecuted.
It ain't supposed to happen but it does.
My old dentist's assistant bought herself a pair of Italian high heel sneakers with my credit card..and on and on.
Ya have to be paranoid, trust no one, and assume anything is possible.

If you have ever had a credit card or bank account, all that information is already available from the three big credit rating companies in the US. And they sell all that information, although typically aggregated, to marketers for an idea of average income based on where you live to people with credit cards from Michael's would probably like targeted mailings for craft supplies.

They also can provide identity verification on individuals based on the headers of your file, namely name, address, DOB and the last 4 numbers of your SSN (big surprise, huh?) without providing any credit information along with that info. And they charge a small fee for each inquiry as well, which likely is paid by the actual age verification service.
I'm already paranoid but now I'm beyond paranoid. Is there a name for that? :facepalm:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Lightning Vapes, they were Bluecheck and I just got an e-mail from them apologizing and saying that they got some feedback regarding customer concerns about that, and that they are going to be looking into going with Veratad.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Lightning Vapes, they were Bluecheck and I just got an e-mail from them apologizing and saying that they got some feedback regarding customer concerns about that, and that they are going to be looking into going with Veratad.
That makes 3 of us.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011

Thank you. :)

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
I'm already paranoid but now I'm beyond paranoid. Is there a name for that? :facepalm:
The definitive symptom is anxiety. Neurotic tendencies are common and may manifest themselves as acute or chronic anxiety, depression, an obsessive–compulsive disorder, a phobia, or a personality disorder. Neurosis should not be mistaken for psychosis, which refers to a loss of touch with reality.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
LOL..I think it's a combination and vape related.. Take your pick, either or both

par·a·noi·a
ˌperəˈnoiə/
noun
noun: paranoia
  1. a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
    synonyms: persecution complex, delusions, obsession, psychosis
    "her husband had concocted a cruel scheme to inflict her with paranoia"
    • suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.
      "the global paranoia about hackers and viruses"

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

There is no specific name for programs like that, but here's an example Identity Verification Services | Online Identity Verification System | Precise ID for Identity Screening by Experian from Experian. Note it's for non-lending situations, just identity verification. Easy to see database like that as one path (among many) for a Veratad or Bluecheck or whoever, to verify you. And they're not the only company out there with this kind of info.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Gee thanks Hazy. :D

Never mind the below info. Let's all go nuts. Now ATT is sending old emails after they send new emails.. Sorry about this.
Yea well, look at this now:
This Just In, A Flip-Flop

The old way was a pain, the new way is a breeze!
If you've shopped for e-liquid or coil heads with us in the past three months, you've likely had to deal with a fairly clunky age verification process. It used to take up to a full business day or more to be verified. That is no longer the case with BlueCheck. We've been hunting for an elegant solution that is non-invasive, yet firmly affirms identity & age at checkout for age restricted products FAST, and we believe we've found it.

The process is simple and streamlined. Enter your first and last name, date of birth, mobile number, and last 4 of your social. Your age will be verified within 20 seconds, and you are off to select your shipping option and complete checkout. If for any reason their system fails, please let us know, and also contact help@bluecheck.me.

See? Can't trust nobody. It's a yo-yo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread