List of vendors Age Verification requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It would be extremely easy to determine the location of the server. View the email headers and then look up the IP address of the originating server.

It's unlikely that the actual server is in Columbia. It doesn't matter if it states COT, EDT, etc. It's still UTC -5.

Vadi

Feb 5, 2015
It would be extremely easy to determine the location of the server. View the email headers and then look up the IP address of the originating server.

It's unlikely that the actual server is in Columbia. It doesn't matter if it states COT, EDT, etc. It's still UTC -5.

Good. Then maybe someone that gets an email from them can do so.

Is it unlikely for the server to be in Colombia if they are outsourcing the manual verification to a Colombian call center?

Vadi

Feb 5, 2015
So why are you posting an unverified image from Imgur if that's not your email?

Another person posted it publicly elsewhere. I posted it here to show the reasoning behind my asking if other people had received similar emails.

If they have, we can easily find out where the originating server is located, as you said above.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Again, it.. does.. not.. matter.

For example. ECF's main office is in London, UK. The servers are located in the United States, and the emails sent from the servers reflect Western Hemisphere time zones. They could all easily be changed to display Eastern Hemisphere time zones. The time zone does not reflect the actual location of the server. Never has. Never will.

You cannot go by the time zone displayed on an email as the company's location, nor can you use it to claim something is outsourced.

Vadi

Feb 5, 2015
But if someone has the email, they can then check where the originating server is through the header, right? That's all I want.

retired1 said:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
So here is my opinion, NO to ss#, BUT as long as I am able (allowed) to take the photo of my ID and block out the DL# and unneeded info, I don't mind... BUT (again) if they want an undoctored ID photo, NOPETY NOPE!

There was a time, before debit cards came into use, when every time you shopped in a store & paid by check you had to present a valid drivers license issued by the state you were shopping in, & showing a local address, h a valid credit card in your name. Your license # & DOB, credit card # & brand were recorded on the ffront top of the check. If those requurements were not met you could not pay with a check. As debit cards came into use, checks have fallen away. Enter online shopping & age verification. I don't have a problem with the requirements Blue Check asks for. DL#, DOB, & last 4 of SSN. I do have a problem with that info being made available to anyone other than BC by them without my specific consent or knowledge. My answer would be no everytime. If I want someone to have that info I will give it to them myself when I want them to have it.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Never mind the below info. Let's all go nuts. Now ATT is sending old emails after they send new emails.. Sorry about this.
Yea well, look at this now:
This Just In, A Flip-Flop

The old way was a pain, the new way is a breeze!
If you've shopped for e-liquid or coil heads with us in the past three months, you've likely had to deal with a fairly clunky age verification process. It used to take up to a full business day or more to be verified. That is no longer the case with BlueCheck. We've been hunting for an elegant solution that is non-invasive, yet firmly affirms identity & age at checkout for age restricted products FAST, and we believe we've found it.

The process is simple and streamlined. Enter your first and last name, date of birth, mobile number, and last 4 of your social. Your age will be verified within 20 seconds, and you are off to select your shipping option and complete checkout. If for any reason their system fails, please let us know, and also contact help@bluecheck.me.

See? Can't trust nobody. It's a yo-yo.
See, I have a problem with giving out my phone #.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
If Veratad does not store information identifying you, how could they ever offer evidence to the vendor and/or the FDA (more important) that you were in fact verified, and here's the info we used to verify with?

That's a really good question and while Veratad states (in writing) they don't store a customer's personal information I wonder if that also includes the customer's name (not that I would care one way or the other). In any case I'm sure they keep a coded transaction record that at a minimum indicates;
  • Date/time a request for age verification was submitted by a client;
  • Client's (vendor's) ID#;
  • Transaction# assigned to the verification request;
  • Type/category of age restricted item being purchased (tobacco product);
  • Type/category of personal information supplied by the client or customer;
  • Databases searched/used for age/ID verification;
  • Document #s where legally accepted verifiable data is/was located;
  • Date/time verified "approval" was relayed to client and etc....
However they do it, for the past decade the feds have accepted/approved their verification methods as meeting all federal legal/regulatory requirements for online tobacco purchases, even without them storing personal information. Let's hope it stays that way.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
See, I have a problem with giving out my phone #.
Aw Gee, @Kenna, rejected already and I haven't even asked ya for yer number yet...Darn! :D

Seriously though, I have a problem giving them any data.
The only thing they need from me is money.
That at this stage in my life I should
have to prove my age
to anybody
sucks
The silver hair hiding in my jeans should be enough!
I'm still angry about childproof caps.

Regards,
Hazy

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
That's a really good question and while Veratad states (in writing) they don't store a customer's personal information I wonder if that also includes the customer's name (not that I would care one way or the other). In any case I'm sure they keep a coded transaction record that at a minimum indicates;
  • Date/time a request for age verification was submitted by a client;
  • Client's (vendor's) ID#;
  • Transaction# assigned to the verification request;
  • Type/category of age restricted item being purchased (tobacco product);
  • Type/category of personal information supplied by the client or customer;
  • Databases searched/used for age/ID verification;
  • Document #s where legally accepted verifiable data is/was located;
  • Date/time verified "approval" was relayed to client and etc....
However they do it, for the past decade the feds have accepted/approved their verification methods as meeting all federal legal/regulatory requirements for online tobacco purchases, even without them storing personal information. Let's hope it stays that way.

There must be a way to reconstruct the approval process. With the information you listed, the identity of the person could be extracted, although you may very well need both halves, Veratad and the vendor. Besides, your personal information is far more likely to be compromised on the vendor side by an employee with access rather than some giant hack of Veratad to harvest all that information.

Every transaction relies on trust between the buyer and seller, especially in an online purchase. If you truly want to avoid any possibility of having your personal information compromised, you would essentially have to make all your purchases in person and pay in cash. There are folks who do that, and it's their choice. But if you choose to engage in commerce using credit and certainly with an online order shipped to you, there is always some small weakness somewhere in the chain that can make you vulnerable. My individual preference is for the convenience of online shopping using a credit card. I try to use common sense as to where I shop, and I take whatever steps I can to regularly check my bank's activity. I also have my credit reports frozen unless I release them for a specific creditor, avoiding the likelihood someone will go buy a car or boat without my knowledge. That's the balance in financial security that works for me. YMMV.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Aw Gee, @Kenna, rejected already and I haven't even asked ya for yer number yet...Darn! :D

Seriously though, I have a problem giving them any data.
The only thing they need from me is money.
That at this stage in my life I should
have to prove my age
to anybody
sucks
The silver hair hiding in my jeans should be enough!
I'm still angry about childproof caps.

Regards,
Hazy
Marry me Hazy! ([emoji6] [emoji6] I have mods, a bunch of KF's & Magmas, & I build my own coils, can bait a hook but refuse to remove the fish or clean it)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
There must be a way to reconstruct the approval process. With the information you listed, the identity of the person could be extracted, although you may very well need both halves, Veratad and the vendor. Besides, your personal information is far more likely to be compromised on the vendor side by an employee with access rather than some giant hack of Veratad to harvest all that information.

Every transaction relies on trust between the buyer and seller, especially in an online purchase. If you truly want to avoid any possibility of having your personal information compromised, you would essentially have to make all your purchases in person and pay in cash. There are folks who do that, and it's their choice. But if you choose to engage in commerce using credit and certainly with an online order shipped to you, there is always some small weakness somewhere in the chain that can make you vulnerable. My individual preference is for the convenience of online shopping using a credit card. I try to use common sense as to where I shop, and I take whatever steps I can to regularly check my bank's activity. I also have my credit reports frozen unless I release them for a specific creditor, avoiding the likelihood someone will go buy a car or boat without my knowledge. That's the balance in financial security that works for me. YMMV.

^^^^^Amen!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Marry me Hazy! ([emoji6] [emoji6] I have mods, a bunch of KF's & Magmas, & I build my own coils, can bait a hook but refuse to remove the fish or clean it)
This must be the second or third time you have asked him.....iirc.....:D:lol:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I don't mind being carded somehow but I demand it be unintrusive (Ha! Beat the spell checker again!) into my personal data. I'm weary of identity theft.

tmcase...I realize there was a discussion awhile back as to what to label the Unknown category.

When I send your EXCELLENT List to friends...some seem confused when Unknown is listed after a vendor (especially if the definition of Unknown is overlooked at the top of the List).

Trying not to reopen an old can of worms...but how about replacing Unknown with the (spell checker accepted) much more descriptive Unobtrusive...(but leaving its definition at the top of the List unchanged)???

I've removed Misthub from the list to keep the list US only. Misthub won't ship to the US so don't do what I did and spend time shopping just to find this out.

I would think that removing Misthub from the List would make it more likely that someone would "spend time shopping just to find" that they don't ship to the US...

Also...in the past 3 years...about 50% of my orders have been with FastTech, 3FVape, Efun.top and Gearbest.

So...not listing foreign sites...would make the List about 50% less valuable...(to me)...

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
tmcase...I realize there was a discussion awhile back as to what to label the Unknown category.

When I send your EXCELLENT List to friends...some seem confused when Unknown is listed after a vendor (especially if the definition of Unknown is overlooked at the top of the List).

Trying not to reopen an old can of worms...but how about replacing Unknown with the (spell checker accepted) much more descriptive Unobtrusive...(but leaving its definition at the top of the List unchanged)???

I would think that removing Misthub from the List would make it more likely that someone would "spend time shopping just to find" that they don't ship to the US...

Also...in the past 3 years...about 50% of my orders have been with FastTech, 3FVape, Efun.top and Gearbest.

So...not listing foreign sites...would make the List about 50% less valuable...(to me)...

I agree that international vendors should go on the list also,
including those who don't ship to US.

Not sure about unobtrusive. That a vendor or their age verification policy doesn't attract attention
isn't the same as the fact we have no clue what it may be.
un·ob·tru·sive
ˌənəbˈtro͞osiv/
adjective
adjective: unobtrusive
not conspicuous or attracting attention.
"corrections should be neat and unobtrusive"
synonyms: inconspicuous, unnoticeable, low-key, discreet, circumspect, understated, unostentatious

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
If I had known when we met that the Texan I was talking with
is a chick I wouldn't have wasted so much time... :)

I'll clean the fish... ;) But you gotta roll.
Regards (and Hugs),
Hazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread