List of vendors Age Verification requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
tmcase...I realize there was a discussion awhile back as to what to label the Unknown category.

When I send your EXCELLENT List to friends...some seem confused when Unknown is listed after a vendor (especially if the definition of Unknown is overlooked at the top of the List).

Trying not to reopen an old can of worms...but how about replacing Unknown with the (spell checker accepted) much more descriptive Unobtrusive...(but leaving its definition at the top of the List unchanged)???

I would think that removing Misthub from the List would make it more likely that someone would "spend time shopping just to find" that they don't ship to the US...

Also...in the past 3 years...about 50% of my orders have been with fasttech, 3FVape, Efun.top and Gearbest.

So...not listing foreign sites...would make the List about 50% less valuable...(to me)...

I had to edit this post because my response didn't show up inside of your post so I put it outside your post.

If people don't read Unknown at the top of the list, there isn't much I can do about it. I can't very well say "Unobtrusive because I don't know that. :(

Check your inbox in a few for your 2nd concern.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have to start paying more attention...I mean, I do play hard to get but
the third time!? What's wrong with me? :facepalm:
I do think it was you but only Kenna can really answer that. There may have been others as well...... not sure......
@ Kenna - just playing with ya......no harm intended.....
:)

Mrmik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2014
Ellicott City, MD, USA
Got an email from RTS vapes that they are having technical difficulties with AV. Did not check what method they are trying to use but said that I should call them to get through with my order.
I am sorry for them as I went with ecig express and got the order today.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Are you ok with them then storing all the info they've collected (including pic of dl and selfie holding it)? What if they're outsourcing the manual verification of photo Id?
    Well They can't get my DL # so I don't see the problem. They can already get other pics of me off the internet. Like Facebook.

Anywhere I order that might do these checks, though, I might just see if they let me order over the phone or email. At least til December when I turn 27.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    There was a time, before debit cards came into use, when every time you shopped in a store & paid by check you had to present a valid drivers license issued by the state you were shopping in, & showing a local address, h a valid credit card in your name. Your license # & DOB, credit card # & brand were recorded on the ffront top of the check. If those requurements were not met you could not pay with a check. As debit cards came into use, checks have fallen away. Enter online shopping & age verification. I don't have a problem with the requirements Blue Check asks for. DL#, DOB, & last 4 of SSN. I do have a problem with that info being made available to anyone other than BC by them without my specific consent or knowledge. My answer would be no everytime. If I want someone to have that info I will give it to them myself when I want them to have it.
    YES!!! This ^^^^ I agree. :thumbs:

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    There was a time, before debit cards came into use, when every time you shopped in a store & paid by check you had to present a valid drivers license issued by the state you were shopping in, & showing a local address, h a valid credit card in your name. Your license # & DOB, credit card # & brand were recorded on the ffront top of the check. If those requurements were not met you could not pay with a check. As debit cards came into use, checks have fallen away. Enter online shopping & age verification. I don't have a problem with the requirements Blue Check asks for. DL#, DOB, & last 4 of SSN. I do have a problem with that info being made available to anyone other than BC by them without my specific consent or knowledge. My answer would be no everytime. If I want someone to have that info I will give it to them myself when I want them to have it.

While this is true, the Internet wasn't a huge thing back then, either. Nor was electronic storage of your information. Sure, you had the odd employee doing nefarious things with the information on the check, but it was one individual.

Now, when your data is compromised, it's accessible by hundreds or thousands of individuals if posted to the various underground clearing houses that specialize in the sale of stolen data.

Personally, I have issues with providing an unproven company with that type of data, especially if they're going to store it.

DebiK

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2014
    Georgia
    They didn't say how they were verifying?

Hi Debi,

We do not use Blue Check. Your age is verified by the initial prompt to confirm your age when you visit our website. If you are not having us ship to California, then your order will proceed just like it did with your previous orders.

Best Regards
    Team 101

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Hi Debi,

We do not use Blue Check. Your age is verified by the initial prompt to confirm your age when you visit our website. If you are not having us ship to California, then your order will proceed just like it did with your previous orders.

Best Regards
    Team 101

Hmmm...sounds like they are disregarding the FDA regs.

DebiK

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Hmmm...sounds like they are disregarding the FDA regs.
    I dunno. I really think it's because I have purchased multiple times before.

Age Verification
    We reserve the right to use third party age verification systems, in accordance with federal law. If necessary, we reserve the right to ask for identification if necessary. You must be 18 years of age or older to obtain and use a credit card and to purchase electronic cigarette products. In instances in which credit card verification is not enough, we may require to review your identification card. You will be asked to fax or email a legible copy of your identification clearly showing your age and shipping address. We will require a signed authorization note along with a legible copy of your identification card. We will cancel the order if proper identification cannot be given in an appropriate amount of time.
    All fraudulent orders may be reported to the local authorities within your vicinity.

Vadi

Feb 5, 2015
    I dunno. I really think it's because I have purchased multiple times before.

Age Verification
    We reserve the right to use third party age verification systems, in accordance with federal law. If necessary, we reserve the right to ask for identification if necessary. You must be 18 years of age or older to obtain and use a credit card and to purchase electronic cigarette products. In instances in which credit card verification is not enough, we may require to review your identification card. You will be asked to fax or email a legible copy of your identification clearly showing your age and shipping address. We will require a signed authorization note along with a legible copy of your identification card. We will cancel the order if proper identification cannot be given in an appropriate amount of time.
    All fraudulent orders may be reported to the local authorities within your vicinity.

It sounds like they're using the credit card to verify age (Authorize.net). It's word for word what Vapor Beast has as their policy.

Age Verification

Coldrake

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    The beautiful Puget Sound
    Thank you for pointing out my mistake about Bluecheck and SSN. That has been changed.
    Thanks, but you're only half way there. ;) You didn't mention that the last 4 digits of your SSN are not saved.

I don't have time to monitor each AV service for changes nor each vendor. I reply on people like you to correct me and help me to keep the list up to date.
    That's my point. There's no way to consistently keep the list correct and updated in a timely fashion. How many people will stop buying from some vendor because the information on the list is either wrong or outdated? How many vendors will unfairly lose money and customers because the information on the list is either wrong or outdated? We need to be fair to both customers and vendors.

We all know that things could change daily.
    We in this thread know that, but what about the people who come into this thread, see the link to the list and don't continue reading? What about people who share the list with others who won't know the list could be inaccurate, or may change?

How do you know that Sweet-Vapes is not using Bluecheck?
    I placed an order with them. No asking for the last 4 digits of my SSN, cell phone #, or birthdate, and no 4 digit code. Just checkout as usual.

I'm honestly not trying to get on your case, (no pun intended, ;) ) I think the list is good idea in theory, it just doesn't work in practice at this point. Maybe in a few months when things have settled down would be a better time to make a list.

The thread itself I think is a good idea, it has a lot of information about the requirements of the various age verification companies, and as a result people have contacted some vendors and some of those vendors have or will change their age verification company to one that people prefer. Good for customers, good for vendors.

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks, but you're only half way there. ;) You didn't mention that the last 4 digits of your SSN are not saved.

That's my point. There's no way to consistently keep the list correct and updated in a timely fashion. How many people will stop buying from some vendor because the information on the list is either wrong or outdated? How many vendors will unfairly lose money and customers because the information on the list is either wrong or outdated? We need to be fair to both customers and vendors.

We in this thread know that, but what about the people who come into this thread, see the link to the list and don't continue reading? What about people who share the list with others who won't know the list could be inaccurate, or may change?

I placed an order with them. No asking for the last 4 digits of my SSN, cell phone #, or birthdate, and no 4 digit code. Just checkout as usual.

I'm honestly not trying to get on your case, (no pun intended, ;) ) I think the list is good idea in theory, it just doesn't work in practice at this point. Maybe in a few months when things have settled down would be a better time to make a list.

The thread itself I think is a good idea, it has a lot of information about the requirements of the various age verification companies, and as a result people have contacted some vendors and some of those vendors have or will change their age verification company to one that people prefer. Good for customers, good for vendors.

You make some good points, some that have already been addressed. The issue about SSN is highlighted in the following document by Bluecheck. They don't mention anything about last 4 of SSN. They say they collect your SSN but do not store it. You are correct about not storing it but frankly...I don't trust anybody that says that but I will put that on Bluecheck's description. There's a link to this complete document on this thread and when I find it I will post it in case you didn't see it.

I don't feel like you are getting on my "case" ;) but I think this list is helpful to many members now. I'm doubtful that the list is hurting any vendors, in fact it has helped a few that were posted here. Member's have told vendors their preference and they have changed their AV service. I'm doing the best I can and don't want to hurt anyone's business.

From Bluecheck:

Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It

We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website and API, including information: • By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth,
    social security number or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (”personal information”); and/or • About your Internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.

As you progress BlueCheck, Inc. Privacy Policy 3 through the verification process, you will be requested to enter personal information, including but not limited to, your name, date of birth, telephone number, and
    social security number, which BlueCheck uses to compare against commercially available databases regularly used for the purposes of age and identify verification. After the verification process is complete, your social security number will be removed from our system, but we will continue to retain your name, date of birth, and telephone number for purposes of providing a more enhanced and streamlined identify verification process during your subsequent use of the Website or API.

We may retain personal information as necessary from you, with the exception of your social security number, for a certain period of time and use it in a manner consistent with our practices under this privacy policy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread