List of vendors who re-label & sell eliquid made by someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
well that's what i was asking initially, are they copying the recipe and ripping off the name or just selling FA and not mentioning where it comes from...hypno mist has been around for years...either way in my eyes it's deceitful. i've tried it from 2 diff't vendors and they were both the exact same as the stuff i get from fa. all i can speak from is my experience.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
I'll look later but I do remember him posting that it's his recipe for hypnotic mist so it may be very different from the hm you're vaping. Might be his version of hypnotic mist. I have never tried it although I'm curious to now. Is it fruity?

it's slightly fruity/lemony but more exotic, not too sweet and perfectly balanced - no overwhelming flavor of any one particular ingredient. been my "adv" for like 5 months now.

MayLovesMetal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No. He's posted that it's his own recipe. He doesn't use Hypnotic Mist flavoring.

OT but I always thought Hypnotic Mist was based on Hpnotiq french liqueur. I could be 100% wrong about that.

I think it is based on Hypnotiq..would lay my husband's paycheck on it.
Even if Vapor Bomb *had* used the flavoring from FA, how would it be any sort of rip-off? Again, is it a "rip-off" to call your juice
chocolate, juicy peach, cinnamon roll if you used a flavor named that in your recipe? A rip-off is a company changing one letter in a well known juices name to trick consumers into thinking it's the popular version, something like that. Fa sells butter flavor, they aren't ripping off the product of cows.

Darkhood, rebranding is taking a companies e-liquid..not a flavoring, but a juice made by another company and relabelling it/representing it as your own. I don't know of any reputable vendors who do it, though almost certainly there are places reselling Dekang/maybe other chinese liquids and maybe not labelling it as such. I don't know much about that market or their standards.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
ok ya that was my original question, what exactly do you mean by rebranding...I don't see how anyone would make $ rebranding juice the way you're defining it though, what would be the point?

I get what ur saying about u can't rip off chocolate, etc but hypnotic mist or something similar is diff't - it's an established name, sort of like a brand only maybe not copyrighted (idk)...some companies have started calling their version HPNO like the knock-off on ecx though so idk maybe it is copyrighted...if you're selling "hypnotic mist" and it's FA but you make no mention of that on ur site then ur misleading ppl into thinking u created it and are the only ones carrying it...I've seen many ppl on here asking questions like ____ is all sold out of hypnotic mist, does anyone else make it, etc - they don't want u to know they're just "rebranding" a condensed flavoring they bought at wholesale - totally understandable but misleading. All I was rly saying.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
"Ripping off", unless you're just referring to the name of the juice, is kind of a misnomer I think. If a vendor is just re-labling already mixed wholesale-bought juices, or dumping Dekang pear into a bottle of Dekang raspberry and calling it Peary Berry Poo that's unimpressive, like calling Rum and Coke a Last Croak and not telling anyone what's in it, and being all mysterious, but not precisely a ripoff.
If I buy a vg/pg mixed nic base, which anyone can do, and simply add FA cinnamon bun flavoring and surose, which anyone can buy, I can surely sell it as My Secret Sticky Buns, and people will love it or hate it.
If I use a recipe that combines food flavoring from several flavoring companies from the DIY recipe book I can surely give it whatever name I want to and sell it - there's no copyright. Arguably, everyone should get to taste this previously unnoticed wonder.
If I make up my own amazing combination, I'm still just using flavoring and ingredients that I've purchased - it's not exactly "my" Bavarian Creme Bacon Bwaha if I just mixed those flavorings (and names) together and add 'Bwaha'. But it also kind of is. Just because some flavorings have straightforward names, like 'chocolate', and some don't, like hypno, doesn't seem to make any difference to me.
Now, if I extract my own flavorings, which a few vendors say they do (they refer to "my manufacturer" when discussing that process - I don't think they're in the kitchen with a copper boiler and cheesecloth and orange peels) and doing all sorts of calibrations to test and balance all ingredients, then no one will say I'm ripping anyone off. I'm currently really, really impressed with a juice that's produced that way.
I may be stating the obvious here, but there's a lot of fun mystique around this process and when people find out that it can be awfully simple they feel cheated, I think.
That said, I'm a terrible DIYer and nobody would or should buy the guk I've assembled thus far. With all of this legislation looming, I'm thinking mebbe time to get that act together. darkhood's Super Easy method encourages me greatly.
So hm, did I miss the point here entirely?

Last edited:

MayLovesMetal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
ok ya that was my original question, what exactly do you mean by rebranding...I don't see how anyone would make $ rebranding juice the way you're defining it though, what would be the point?

I get what ur saying about u can't rip off chocolate, etc but hypnotic mist or something similar is diff't - it's an established name, sort of like a brand only maybe not copyrighted (idk)...some companies have started calling their version HPNO like the knock-off on ecx though so idk maybe it is copyrighted...if you're selling "hypnotic mist" and it's FA but you make no mention of that on ur site then ur misleading ppl into thinking u created it and are the only ones carrying it...I've seen many ppl on here asking questions like ____ is all sold out of hypnotic mist, does anyone else make it, etc - they don't want u to know they're just "rebranding" a condensed flavoring they bought at wholesale - totally understandable but misleading. All I was rly saying.

I guess I don't see Hypnotic Mist as any more of a unique flavoring name than say Swedish Fish or butter or ecto. I drank Hypnotiq multiple years before I ever vaped, and FA (who is my preferred flavoring company too) makes a good flavoring based on it- which it
obviously is- if you've seen both FA's picture of their flavoring and a Hypnotiq bottle, and if you've had the liqueur it's unmistakeable.
Those people asking don't know what you do about the flavorings, so it's good that you can help them out and take the time to do it..but I don't think the vendors are misleading anyone, anymore than they are if they call their Raspberry juice Raspberry. Though they could
possibly be more creative with naming, I don't see any deceit involved.

MayLovesMetal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ecblends offers rebranding for dummies.
You pay 'em, send a jpeg, and pick a flavor.
They send you a bottle of "dummy brand" ejuice.

Sorry, while it's low level eliquid manufacturing..it's not rebranding. If they take the FA label off the flavor concentrate bottle and
stick one on that says ECBlends Own etc- that's rebranding. If they take a bottle of Pluid and stick a ECBlends Own Blue Liquid label
on it, that's rebranding. I don't know why anyone would bother rebranding since low level mixing would be more profitable- but that was
what the OP was asking about. I've seen it purported that there are vendors who sell chinese liquids without clearly acknowledging the manufacturer or stating dishonestly that it was made by them- and *that* would be rebranding.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Ecblends offers rebranding for dummies.
You pay 'em, send a jpeg, and pick a flavor.
They send you a bottle of "dummy brand" ejuice.

That's not rebranding.

I assume the OP means which vendor peels the label off someone's liquid and puts their own label on the bottle.

PRIMER

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
DENVER 303
That's not rebranding.

I assume the OP means which vendor peels the label off someone's liquid and puts their own label on the bottle.

I'll stand corrected,

BUT

In my eyes selling the exact same ejuice as another vendor, just with a different label, is rebranding and lazy to boot.

If you can't mix your own juice, which is ridiculously easy, you have no business having an ejuice "brand"

That's only my opinion and $0.02

McGarnagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
If you have a problem with this, then you have a problem with the majority of products sold. Most products are just a combination of supplier products or simply selling something they bought wholesale.

Not many companies vertically integrate, and many final products manufacturers are simply combining and packaging already existing products. Some do give credit to the suppliers (like computers when they state they have Intel processors and the like), but those are rare cases where the subcomponent is so important they either want to or have to inform the consumer.

BigErn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2012
Georgia
I thought the question was: does anyone know of vendors that order cheap Chinese (or elsewhere) e juice and put their own "unique" label one them, then resell them for an up charge. Like if I ordered some bulk menthol dekang brand "X" and called it "BigErn's BigBoss Menthol Freeze." I'm not sure if OP is asking about trademark/copyright infractions, like someone mentioned the liqueur "Hypnotiq" vs. people using the name Hypnotic Mist. It seems to me that EVERYBODY would have to be giving credit for everything from Banana's Foster e liquid, hamburgers from McDonalds or Burger King, etc.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I thought the question was: does anyone know of vendors that order cheap Chinese (or elsewhere) e juice and put their own "unique" label one them, then resell them for an up charge. Like if I ordered some bulk menthol dekang brand "X" and called it "BigErn's BigBoss Menthol Freeze." I'm not sure if OP is asking about trademark/copyright infractions, like someone mentioned the liqueur "Hypnotiq" vs. people using the name Hypnotic Mist. It seems to me that EVERYBODY would have to be giving credit for everything from Banana's Foster e liquid, hamburgers from McDonalds or Burger King, etc.

You're right, I do think that's what he meant. You can blame me for keeping the thread off topic. :blush:

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
FA isn't even the only maker of Hypno flavoring:
Hypnotica Liqueur -HPNO Flavor (TFA)
That's just one example, I think there are a couple others.

There are some vendors relabeling juices. I'll give two examples and I'll add that I don't think they are doing anything wrong and its probably a mutual agreement between the companies.

Totally Wicked's Patriot Range line of juices contain some Halo Juices, Tobacco Americanno = Torque56, American Red Mix= Freedom Smoke...there are others in the line. The line was only Halo but it seems they've added a bunch of different juices now. They even sold the flavor concentrates until, it is said, Halo made them quit.

Indy Vapor Shop's Standard Mix line of juices are Hangsen juices, they use Hangsen's bottles and names but they are branded IndyVaporShop. It seems to be common knowledge and done to get their name out there rather than deception.

These are just a few cases, I wouldn't consider them underhanded or dishonest. Seems to be mainly a marketing ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread