Lithium battery failure = boom (I'm okay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully the "boom" failure mode is the most common these days. Back in the late 90s, when I worked full time for a company called "Battery Works" (no longer in business) we did everything from tiny 3 gram silver oxide watch batteries up to multi-ton forklift and floor scrubber batteries. Those were the days when lithium batteries had 2 modes of failure. I called them "firecracker and road flare" Road flare was more common. Basically it was just elemental lithium reacting with atmospheric water in a very bright and hot manner. Firecracker is what this thread is about. But always remember: It could be worse!

Personally whenever I get around to building/modifying things, I'm actually going to stick to Ni-CAD and Ni-MH cells. They can put out nearly inifnite current when needed, and love to be drained fully. Also cheaper. I could probably vape for a month on a stack of 3 8500mAh SAFT D-Cells. 3.6v@8500mAh :)

And don't get me wrong. Li-Ion and Li-Poly are great systems. I just prefer that they are designed and implemented in a controlled system by a team of paid engineers who know exactly how they're going to be used and charged.

MaryMarcelle

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
Okay fairly new to all of this, but after a month of scouring this forum this is the first I've heard of exploding batteries! WTH?

I have no idea about the difference between a protected and unprotected battery? I vape a KR808 portable batteries (as well as the usb passthrough) ~ do those of us using this model need to be concerned about this issue?

And BTW Very glad that OP was not injured ~ very, very frightening indeed!

TWalker

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
NM
The copper was my first mod bought and it came with green CR2's (unprotected) ad I noticed the design of the copper dents in the - side of the batt.

I also usually drain them completely before charging. Granted it is a stout unit of brass and screw on caps but does that make it worse? Are the batts explosive enough to make shrapnel out of the brass?

Should I drill the vent hole larger? I have p-CR2's on the way though.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Okay fairly new to all of this, but after a month of scouring this forum this is the first I've heard of exploding batteries! WTH?

I have no idea about the difference between a protected and unprotected battery? I vape a KR808 portable batteries (as well as the usb passthrough) ~ do those of us using this model need to be concerned about this issue?

And BTW Very glad that OP was not injured ~ very, very frightening indeed!

Mary--All Commercal e-cigs that I have encountered have protected batteries and come with the "CE Seal" of Apporval. You only find this issue with Mods.

Sun

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
I bought several of these 10440p from Janty USA - STICK which they claim to be protected because there is a "P" at the end of the number, but I do not see any kind of PCB on them, just what appears to be vent holes on either side of the + button top. Are these protected? If not, how can they claim them, and sell to be protected batteries? I have a laser mod that the regular 10440 PCB batteries just don't want to fit inside, they are too long. The ones from Janty fit perfect. I did drill 2 vent holes on the end cap that the + side of the battery is facing, just in case, but I don't feel very comfortable using these. Do the 10440 explode as often as some of the larger ones I have seen mentioned on the forum?

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Wait.. why is this stick-eed?
I'm not sure I understand your question.
It's stickied because there are lots of people here that don't understand the risks involved in using unprotected batteries, or even protected batteries in a homemade circuit.
They hear high voltage is good, mods are good, I'm not smoking....... it's all good.
There are risks involved and users need to be aware of them. Your cell phone and laptop have protection circuits built in, mods often don't.
It just isn't worth burning down your house, blowing out an eye, or injuring a child.

savagemyth

ECF Veteran
that's a major reason these things will be banned , having an unstable power source so close to the users face.
I wonder what kind off safeguards and standards mobile phones have with their batts.

Still , glad your all ok Eskimoroll. I'm guessing the failed battery was un-protected ?

and don't forget a protected batt will be a millimeter or two longer than the un-protected variety.

speaking of which, you just hit on something there: does anyone have a cellphone battery mod? They're 3.7v (in my samsung) and readily available in quantity for fairly cheap, and compact.

/wheels spinning now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread