Little help with a lung issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stayinwonderland

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Seattle
So I've battled with this for longer than I can be bothered getting too into too much. Posted in lots of places seeking answers and not really getting anywhere. Thought I'd try here. In fact, when I more recently started to google my issues, the only thing that came up was my own post from a few years ago that I'd forgotten I even made.

I just want to know if ANYONE else experiences lung discomfort from vaping, or even KNOWS anyone else that does. I can go into my set up but it's quite pathetic how safe I already am, relatively speaking.

I generally get lung discomfort no matter what I try. But more recently have been getting a pain in the back of my lungs (doc appointment due soon, don't worry). It's got nothing to do with smoking, I can assure you, don't ask why, it just doesn't. Of that I'm sure. It's vaping.

But it makes no sense because I'm on 2mg DIY or 3mg when I purchase juice. I vape around the 1ohm mark, rarely higher than 20w and get through 1ml of juice on a good day. When my lung issues are worse I might get through a couple of hits while staring longingly at my set up. I try to never use diketones and only buy from companies who get tested.

So far the only slight lead I have is my DIY nicotine. For example, I recenlty vaped without much bother on Milk & Honey by Cosmic Fog which is 50/50. But when I went back to my DIY the pain came back. But then bought G2 Mr Cookie (max VG) and that wasn't great.

Anyway, without trying to diagnose the specifics, I just want to know if anyone else gets this kind of issue? I feel like everyone is just vaping away happily and healthily while I'm watching from the poolside with my arm in a sling.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Hmm, high VG. Well, I was tryin 50/50 the first time I noticed issues. But I tried vaping pure VG unflavored and that was quite fine. I do MTL.

I won't vape without inhaling as that's the same as not vaping for me.
well, you get the nicotine either way, even if you don't lung inhale. Just offering a suggestion. I know if I were doing something that caused me pain, I'd stop doing it.

Reactions: m1ke

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
e liquid vapor causes some irritation however slight. It's never zero. I was getting mouth irritation with the pre mix I was using. I went to DIY and 1.5% flavoring, a reletively low amount, and that problem went away. You could have some pre existing condition or sensitivity that's not common. You haven't disclosed your daily ml's or power settings.

stayinwonderland

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Seattle
well, you get the nicotine either way, even if you don't lung inhale. Just offering a suggestion. I know if I were doing something that caused me pain, I'd stop doing it.

but certain kinds of vaping don't so much, and seeing as I appear to be the only person in the world who gets this, I want to figure out if anyone at all can relate. Makes no sense.

e liquid vapor causes some irritation however slight. It's never zero. I was getting mouth irritation with the pre mix I was using. I went to DIY and 1.5% flavoring, a reletively low amount, and that problem went away. You could have some pre existing condition or sensitivity that's not common. You haven't disclosed your daily ml's or power settings.

I did disclose my daily ml's and my power settings (see OP), but didn't want to get bogged down in all that because I'm mainly focused on trying to find out if I'm the only one who gets, not just a tickle, but a dull ache.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
There's a whole pile of "who knows?" that could be underneath that.

Were you a long term smoker? Were you diagnosed with any smoking related lung disease prior to starting vaping? History of asthma? Allergies? Stuff like that.

Have you done any elimination test yourself: Tried a high VG and then a high PG liquid in your ususal nic level - both unflavored - to see if the problem improves or (hopefully not) worsens with either?

Some people have adjustment issues while switching over from smoking to vaping, and a few people will have sensitivities or allergies to certain ingredients that they need to sort out and eliminate. But if lung discomfort or irritation was a common long-term problem no one would be vaping.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
But if lung discomfort or irritation was a common long-term problem no one would be vaping.

That's a huge jump. Many of us smoked for 20 years, had lung discomfort and irritation but kept on smoking.

I disagree hugely with your statement. Unless the person is vaping 0% nic. Because you have left out the whole issue of nicotine dependency, which obviously, keeps people doing certain behaviors....

stayinwonderland

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Seattle
I mentioned in my OP that it's not smoking related. No asthma. Only thing is I have some auto-immunity that affect my skin, guts, bladder. So it might be making my lungs unhappy too.

I did all the experiments, yes. VG, no nic etc. I guess I haven't get tried high PG. Maybe because all I hear are people with PG issues, not VG issues. And I did sort of narrow things down to my own DIY 2mg seeming to cause issues vs vendor-bought. Maybe. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the lungs are already unhappy, you might vape something that was previously fine but exacerbates the issue, causing you to think that the most recent configuration is also bad. Currently I'm vaping DIY no nic to see how I get on with that.

Reactions: Rickajho

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
That's a huge jump. Many of us smoked for 20 years, had lung discomfort and irritation but kept on smoking.

I disagree hugely with your statement. Unless the person is vaping 0% nic. Because you have left out the whole issue of nicotine dependency, which obviously, keeps people doing certain behaviors....

Since we aren't discussing smoking here and the OP cited his nic level as 2 mg/ml... what's your point?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
but certain kinds of vaping don't so much, and seeing as I appear to be the only person in the world who gets this, I want to figure out if anyone at all can relate. Makes no sense.

I did disclose my daily ml's and my power settings (see OP), but didn't want to get bogged down in all that because I'm mainly focused on trying to find out if I'm the only one who gets, not just a tickle, but a dull ache.
Might as well ask the doc. You can tell him you vape an unusually small amount of liquid. Try some unflavored and see if that is irritating.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I mentioned in my OP that it's not smoking related. No asthma. Only thing is I have some auto-immunity that affect my skin, guts, bladder. So it might be making my lungs unhappy too.

I did all the experiments, yes. VG, no nic etc. I guess I haven't get tried high PG. Maybe because all I hear are people with PG issues, not VG issues. And I did sort of narrow things down to my own DIY 2mg seeming to cause issues vs vendor-bought. Maybe. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the lungs are already unhappy, you might vape something that was previously fine but exacerbates the issue, causing you to think that the most recent configuration is also bad. Currently I'm vaping DIY no nic to see how I get on with that.

Welp, I would try the high PG option as you really don't know yet. And it sounds like you are being plenty careful enough to know how to do it cautiously and to stop as soon as a problem should appear.

Since you have a history of autoimmune disorder perhaps it's time to ask your MD about interstitial lung disease (ILD) to check if that might be what is going on. Specifically, hypersensitivity pneumonitis where inhalation of certain substances can cause inflammation. Unfortunately autoimmune disorders can be a cause of ILD.

stayinwonderland

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Seattle
Hmm, I doubt it would be ILD coz I don't have shortness of breath, nor do I have a cough. And the ache only happens when I vape... certain things (still trying to find out what).

Today I was largely vaping 70/30 home made custard, zero nic. Haven't had that ache at all. Then tried a few other things. Max VG vendor-bought 3mg, still not ache. Then some of my own home made with a little nic in. Still no ache. Bit scratchy, which is normal for me. So it can be a little erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread