Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Last edited:

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Just wondering...is it MEAN like the original full-sized 20W...or RMS like the 30W and 50W?
Best I can tell it must be MEAN, because it sure feels hotter than the 2 (high-end) devices I compared it with. It feels hotter than my original iStick 20w, too!...but that could be because it's all new and shiny! :laugh:

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
My biggest issue is its size: 4"L x 1-3/4"W x 7/8"D (101.6*44.5*22.2mm), which I'm sure is required for its (probably) higher quality Li-Po battery. This is easily a 3-4 year device before the battery dies. Everything in vaping is still a tradeoff. An individual should purchase what is important to her/him. :vapor:

The device itself is easily a 3-4 year device, it's built like a brick jailhouse, but I think the only way any Li-Po is going to last 3 years is if it's babied and discharged less than 10%, and even then, you're still going to lose 10% capacity a year just from oxidative breakdown. Some links you might find interesting:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University (Figure 1 and Tables 2 and 3)
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries subheading: THE 80% RC LIPO BATTERY RULE TO THE RESCUE!
http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/ subheading: LiPo Packs versus NiMH Batteries

I personally don't like built-in batt devices, especially those that employing 2 or more batts that take the Jaws of Life to get to. There's so much involved in keeping batts married I don't want to be bothered with it. And I don't trust device electronics to do it well either. Single removable batts I can toss every year for fresh ones are definitely my cup of tea. But that preference is my own paranoia, and, of course, to each his own.
:)

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
The device itself is easily a 3-4 year device, it's built like a brick jailhouse, but I think the only way any Li-Po is going to last 3 years is if it's babied and discharged less than 10%, and even then, you're still going to lose 10% capacity a year just from oxidative breakdown. Some links you might find interesting:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University (Figure 1 and Tables 2 and 3)
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries subheading: THE 80% RC LIPO BATTERY RULE TO THE RESCUE!
http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/ subheading: LiPo Packs versus NiMH Batteries

I personally don't like built-in batt devices, especially those that employing 2 or more batts that take the Jaws of Life to get to. There's so much involved in keeping batts married I don't want to be bothered with it. And I don't trust device electronics to do it well either. Single removable batts I can toss every year for fresh ones are definitely my cup of tea. But that preference is my own paranoia, and, of course, to each his own.
:)

Agreed. I do believe however that many users would get 2 days of vaping out of the 4500mAh Li-Po. With the really good Li-Po batts showing litttle degradation for up to 1000 charge/discharge cycles, that's as many as six years. Taking account of the oxidative breakdown, I figured 3-4 years to be reasonable. Many have their three(?) year old original MVPs still performing flawlessly.

BTW, it is my understanding that Li-Po oxidative breakdown is much more of a problem in high charge/discharge use such as RC vehicles. Oxidation should be much less of a problem for us as we charge and discharge them much more slowly.

I prefer exchangeable/replaceable batteries myself. However, I much prefer Polymer technology to IMR/Hybrid. It's just much better chemistry for our purpose. Most Li-Po use in APVs has it "built-in" however. The biggest problem is current Li-Po batteries are not generally available in form-factors ideal for an APV. I hope to see that change soon.

ETA: I wish I could purchase a good charger for less than $50 that allowed me to set the target voltage at 4.1 instead of 4.2. Our APVs already limit discharge to 3.2-3.5v. Li-Ion specs are usually 2.5v for max discharge. We're pretty easy on batteries with our regulated devices. Many mech users, OTH, not so much. Most should stick with IMR/Hybrid technology.

Last edited:

Todai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
Thanks, Todai. This mod looks interesting. Uses a 26650, right?

We decided early on to limit this discussion to regulated mods.

Not, it's a tiny 18350 box. Not regulated, but does offer USB charging. I have one of their Mustang SX350 mods, and it's great, but have no experience with the Ice Candy.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California

You make excellent points, thanks! I really hope China listens to us about wanting to use our own batts. Looking at the pricex10000units it just doesn't seem there's much wiggle room for them to be installing top of the line batts themselves.

two ideas from Soshine Co. - you can pull the batt when the green light flashes at 90% :
Four Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh batteries, and Fast 18650 Lithium-ion battery charger (four charging bays) It has an auto-shutoff.

charger only no batts here: Amazon.com: Soshine 4-Slot Li-ion 18650 Battery Smart Fast Charger w/ 2-Round-Pin Plug Adapter / Car Charger: Electronics

review here (don't use slot #1 and don't use with closed lid - see photos):

Test/Review of Charger Soshine S1 max V3

or, go cheap, and watch the digital readout for it to hit 4.1: http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-chargers/universal-battery-charger-with-lcd-display-for-li-ion-18650-18350-18500-14500-14350-rcr123-ni-mh-aa-aaa

( With this little guy you'll need to charge on a flat surface as the batt will fall out if it's moved around, but it's a great little travel charger )

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Awww shucks. :blush:

It was truly a collaboration in the honest sense of the word. I played faithful secretariat. Enjoy it, dbirdb. And make yourself a copy!

Modesty from our fearless leader, OP, secretariat, referee and Queen Tootle Puffer!

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
This is the best $22 I've ever spent...I just ordered another one!

b9bd72fc-085f-4917-884f-9f4d678502a3.jpg

d0f55810-2f1c-44ca-9b0b-05c2ed53d1ec.jpg

Please link me to that tank!

Is that a mini Fogger?

Reactions: Nanny22

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Please link me to that tank!

Is that a mini Fogger?
Yes it is. I had to modify the crap out of it to suit my lazy lung hit habit, but it performs marvelously now. Believe it or not, that tank has the best flavor of any tank I own! I guess it's because of the super tinny chamber. (micro-chamber doesn't even describe how small this thing is) A 28awg x 2.2mm coil just barely fits between the screws!

YiLoong Mini Fogger - YiLoong - RTA’s & RDA’s

beware: the draw is extremely tight right out of the box. We're talking old school carto-tight!

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
There's more data on Innokin's Cool Fire IV and it's MSRP is about $45.

Just saw a review at Innokin's FB page AND noticed their new ad shows more colors -- an actual red, silver, black, blue, purple (probably istick red) and amethyst (a lavender).

Looking for a preorder on the amethyst. :w00t:

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There's more data on Innokin's Cool Fire IV and it's MSRP is under $45.

Just saw a review at Innokin's FB page AND noticed their new ad shows more colors -- an actual red, silver, black, blue, purple (probably istick red) and amethyst (a lavender).

Looking for a preorder on the amethyst. :w00t:

That amethyst is pretty. So is the red... :)

TY for the heads up, Rose!

Reactions: aldenf

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Kanger recently announced their new Subox Mini. The starter kit comes with a matching SubTank Mini and is available in black, white or silver. $82.90 MSRP; replaceable 18650. No size specs published but should fall within our "itty, bitty" definition...

SUBOX_Mini.jpg

Cirrusx1

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2014
Buffalo Grove , IL, USA
If someone had told me year ago that Innokin would release a 60W device that fires down to 0.2Ω, with a built-in 4500mAh battery for under $80, I would have called BS! Since the release of the iStick series and other competition, it's much more believable however. It's still on the big side and more expensive than much of the competition, but Innokin has always made quality products. How much are people willing to spend for Innokin's quality? Where will the Coolfire 4, at 40W, fall in line?

Innokin MVP3Pro, in stock for $79.50 here:
Innokin iTaste MVP 3.0 Pro 60W - Starter kit
Here's your answer on the Coolfire.
Cool Fire IV by Innokin - Box MOD / 20W +
I just pulled the trigger on the Mini Jedi 50W and got a tiny bit of buyers remorse after seeing them post this lol!

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
Kanger recently announced their new Subox Mini. The starter kit comes with a matching SubTank Mini and is available in black, white or silver. $82.90 MSRP; replaceable 18650. No size specs published but should fall within our "itty, bitty" definition...

SUBOX_Mini.jpg
Got an email from VaporTekUSA on this. They have a pre-order for $69.99 with 5% off.

Kanger Subox Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread