Little itty bitty mods under $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS stingray

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
Port Charlotte. Florida
I would love to hear more about this after you work with it a while. I love the unique button and look of this one.
So far with her using this for 24 hours, she loves it. The feel in your hand and ease of pushing the button . It seems solid like a Cloupor mini. I predict many will be sold. My only concern will be how long that button lasts. The ergonomics will be hard to beat . It just feels nice in your hand.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Bought A Presa anyway
I know I said I wouldn't but I was interested in the small size and unique button. My wife is doing chemo and she has neuropthy. She was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at the Wismec Presa. She said she wanted to replace the crappy istick 20 , which the 510 is a pain. Anyhow Discount Vapers had the Presa in black in stock ( now sold out ) . I got it yesterday. She loves it !! It seems heavier than a cloupor mini but not sure if it is. It is defiantly heaver than an istick 20. The shape is great in your hand. This mod blows out any istick. Sorry Istick lovers, I bought 5 20's and most are in trash cans. To me this would be perfect if it would have a replacble 18650 battery. However as built is really nice.
That looks really good. Very thorough review by The Vapor Chronicles here

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Bought A Presa anyway
I know I said I wouldn't but I was interested in the small size and unique button. My wife is doing chemo and she has neuropthy. She was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at the Wismec Presa. She said she wanted to replace the crappy Istick 20 , which the 510 is a pain. Anyhow Discount Vapers had the Presa in black in stock ( now sold out ) . I got it yesterday. She loves it !! It seems heavier than a cloupor mini but not sure if it is. It is defiantly heaver than an Istick 20. The shape is great in your hand. This mod blows out any Istick. Sorry Istick lovers, I bought 5 20's and most are in trash cans. To me this would be perfect if it would have a replacble 18650 battery. However as built is really nice.

I'm glad she likes the mod. Best wishes for your wife.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
That DNA30 price is definitely sweet! That's about 70% cheaper than it was last Oct/Nov. With my PC upgrades, I try to stay 6-12 months behind the bleeding edge curve to try and save money. I might just have to start doing something similar with mods.:)
For all those that want to buy an Istick, now is the time to get a VS DNA30. So much better quality and vape experience over an Istick. I thought it was a steal at $99. At under $40, you'd be a foolish not to pick one up if you're in the market for a tiny box mod. The VS DNA40 for $85 is another smokin' deal.

Reactions: Cotay

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
For all those that want to buy an Istick, now is the time to get a VS DNA30. So much better quality and vape experience over an Istick. I thought it was a steal at $99. At under $40, you'd be a foolish not to pick one up if you're in the market for a tiny box mod. The VS DNA40 for $85 is another smokin' deal.
All true. Down-side is a 1300mAh battery in that VS DNA30.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA

While the already mentioned battery capacity is certainly a con, if only minor, I think the biggest flaw for many is the DNA 30's inability to buck voltage... It's an awesome setup for an RTA. I think I'll spring for one... But many clearos today offer a highest resistance of 1.5Ω. That's a problem for low-wattage vapers unless they rebuild the heads themselves. The DNA 40, at $85, is the better choice and comes with a much higher capacity, albeit non-Li-Po battery. It is more than three times the cost of a 30W iStick, however. I still think there is a place for the iStick (30W), Defender, etc. For $85, we can get two iStick-like mods and a STMini, Lemo 2 or 3 GS Airs. For $85, an eVic-VT and a STMini might be the best choice and offer the most flexibility; even if one only uses the VT in VW mode.

So many options, too little time and money... :)

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
After using my rDNA40, I've given up on chinese clone mods. Evolv chips are noticeably better to me that it's all I use now. Now that there are genuine Evolv mods at the $100 range, buying cheaper mods over and over again seems like a waste of money.

I recently bought a SX Mini M to see how Yihi handles temp protection and it's not bad. I just don't like the mod so I'm selling it. I ordered a Boxer mod that uses the same chip (SX350j) with dual batteries. It allows up to 150w but the way I vape (under 20w), I'm more interested in the longer runtime.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California

It was a no brainer for me when I paid $120 for the VS DNA30 when my iStick 20 started experiencing issues last year. I have never regretted paying that price...and at the current price, there is simply no comparison. The iStick is now gutted and the battery scheduled to be donated to a DNA25 mod...the VS still sees regular rotation.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Add me to the list of people very pleased with the CoolFire 4. For less than $40, it's quite a nice little mod.

And for ME, it's very light.

I know I'll take a beating for saying this, but it could possibly move my powder coated SXMini into the classies. Not today, but it's not out of the question down the line.

A job well done, Innoken.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
While the already mentioned battery capacity is certainly a con, if only minor, I think the biggest flaw for many is the DNA 30's inability to buck voltage... It's an awesome setup for an RTA. I think I'll spring for one... But many clearos today offer a highest resistance of 1.5Ω. That's a problem for low-wattage vapers unless they rebuild the heads themselves. The DNA 40, at $85, is the better choice and comes with a much higher capacity, albeit non-Li-Po battery. It is more than three times the cost of a 30W iStick, however. I still think there is a place for the iStick (30W), Defender, etc. For $85, we can get two iStick-like mods and a STMini, Lemo 2 or 3 GS Airs. For $85, an eVic-VT and a STMini might be the best choice and offer the most flexibility; even if one only uses the VT in VW mode.

So many options, too little time and money... :)

You won't be disappointed with the DNA30. Even less so with the DNA40 or rDNA40.

I understand needing/wanting to save a few bucks but after going thru a few of the cheaper chinese mods, I would've saved more if I just went with the Vaporshark from the start. There are some things you just need to experience for yourself. I still have my iStick 20w but that was good for about 6 weeks. My 1st DNA30 (paid $99) lasted 4 months before I sold it and it was in perfect condition. I have one more and I don't plan on selling it even though I rarely use it. My rDNA40 is going on 8 months and I use it every single day and still works perfect. I would be on my 6th iStick and would cost me about the same (using the $189 price of the rDNA40 in Nov) but wouldn't have TP or deal with a funky fire button and crappy 510.

My DNA40 is a month old and I use that and my rDNA40 every day. At under $100, the DNA40 is head and shoulders above any mod in this thread, IMO. If you need a replaceable 18650, the rDNA40 is a few bucks more.

I'm really not a VS fan boy but I do love their products and service. Neither is perfect but they do try to keep you happy.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Add me to the list of people very pleased with the CoolFire 4. For less than $40, it's quite a nice little mod.

And for ME, it's very light.

I know I'll take a beating for saying this, but it could possibly move my powder coated SXMini into the classies. Not today, but it's not out of the question down the line.

A job well done, Innoken.
No offense intended but I'm not impressed with the Yihi mod so I'm not surprised. I bought a SX Mini M last week and it's already for sale in the classifieds after 2 1/2 days of use. It still has a lot of sharp edges and was too heavy. The SX350j is interesting and I liked it enough to order a Boxer mod from Ginger Vapes. I should get it this week.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
No offense intended but I'm not impressed with the Yihi mod so I'm not surprised. I bought a SX Mini M last week and it's already for sale in the classifieds after 2 1/2 days of use. It still has a lot of sharp edges and was too heavy. The SX350j is interesting and I liked it enough to order a Boxer mod from Ginger Vapes. I should get it this week.
No offense taken. Not over an e-cig, that's for sure. Mine is a S class, so it's about 30% lighter than the M (7.1 oz, stripped with battery inserted). And the sharp edges are sanded smooth. I like it a lot, but now it feels big & heavy next to the CF. I'm all tootles (11w) so the power is of no value.

I'll probably keep it, as it is quite nice, but the silly little CF is impressing the heck out of me.

b2ea44efdadd9ea9d23dca1a53ad3974.jpg

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Just so you know I was mistaken in the size of the Defender 50 (asked for an edit there since my edit time expired - thanks to alden for the correction)... the Defender 50 will be close to the same size as the 25/36W and I'll seriously consider one. :)

I AM seriously considering one, Kent, thank you very much. (sincerely) My hold out right now is the color selection, or lack thereof. I'm guessing with any popularity, we'll see other finishes on these, and I'll hold out for yet another black wave peacock carbon fiber. Uh huh.

I realize that you weren't asking me, but I added my 2 cents:)

I'm pleased, and feel 2 cents richer. :D Thanks, whodat.

Bought A Presa anyway
I know I said I wouldn't but I was interested in the small size and unique button. My wife is doing chemo and she has neuropthy. She was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at the Wismec Presa. She said she wanted to replace the crappy Istick 20 , which the 510 is a pain. Anyhow Discount Vapers had the Presa in black in stock ( now sold out ) . I got it yesterday. She loves it !! It seems heavier than a cloupor mini but not sure if it is. It is defiantly heaver than an Istick 20. The shape is great in your hand. This mod blows out any Istick. Sorry Istick lovers, I bought 5 20's and most are in trash cans. To me this would be perfect if it would have a replacble 18650 battery. However as built is really nice.

I would love to hear more about this after you work with it a while. I love the unique button and look of this one.

Oh goodie! Thrilled to get a real user opinion on this one. It's on my radar as well.

Add to that list the VS, thank you KTM of Rider.

(and the Kbox, and the CF4, and the and the and the and the.....................)

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I'll probably keep it, as it is quite nice, but the silly little CF is impressing the heck out of me.

I have been really liking mine for about three weeks now. It just feels right in the hand. I still think it could be a little lighter and the screen cuts out and switches L/R to quickly and it could be a little bigger but neither of these are atrocious or a deal breaker in any way. I would rather see a screen more like that found in the VV3.

Over all, it is a great little mod. I keep a little I-go L on it and it is a great pocket dripper running a 1.1 clapton at around 14W. A tootle puffers dream :)

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
You won't be disappointed with the DNA30. Even less so with the DNA40 or rDNA40.

I understand needing/wanting to save a few bucks but after going thru a few of the cheaper chinese mods, I would've saved more if I just went with the Vaporshark from the start. There are some things you just need to experience for yourself. I still have my iStick 20w but that was good for about 6 weeks. My 1st DNA30 (paid $99) lasted 4 months before I sold it and it was in perfect condition. I have one more and I don't plan on selling it even though I rarely use it. My rDNA40 is going on 8 months and I use it every single day and still works perfect. I would be on my 6th iStick and would cost me about the same (using the $189 price of the rDNA40 in Nov) but wouldn't have TP or deal with a funky fire button and crappy 510.

My DNA40 is a month old and I use that and my rDNA40 every day. At under $100, the DNA40 is head and shoulders above any mod in this thread, IMO. If you need a replaceable 18650, the rDNA40 is a few bucks more.

I'm really not a VS fan boy but I do love their products and service. Neither is perfect but they do try to keep you happy.

I never jumped on either of the SXMinis but I was damned close to scooping both of them up. I really like the chipsets but I was never a huge fan of the mods themselves. I had my brother's for a weekend and was not all that enamored, certainly not $200 worth. I'm still vaping my second iStick 20W from November. My KFL+v2 clone practically lives on it. My iStick 30W, purchased in January, has my Erlk clone on it. My two "salvaged" Cloupor dna 30's still perform great and normally have an RDA on them. I really don't NEED anything else. I haven't purchased any hardware since January.

I am interested in experimenting with TC, however. Though I'm not sure what TC mod I want to play with. They all have their own advantages/disadvantages. I'm currently leaning towards the eVic-VT as it has built-in Ti support in addition to Ni200. I don't want to spend the money on a 350J mod as they're awfully expensive just to play with. And I have lost interest in building a custom box for a 350J board. I'm still waiting to hear more about Innokin's iTC. I haven't even heard a planned release date. The new DNA 200 also looks interesting and with pre-sales at $80 for the board, finished mods shouldn't be all that expensive. Again, there is no announced release date and I'm sure Evolv will wait until it's spot-on before they release this one. What ever happened to the DNA 25? I haven't seen a single mod even announced with the chipset. I'd probably be all over a DNA/rDNA 25 in the $50 range.

I guess I'm waiting for a new mod and/or chipset to jump out and grab me and that hasn't happened yet. I continue to be a bystander in the new hardware market, trying to help people get a great vape on the hardware they have. But I have shinyitis just like most of you... :drool:

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Can you train us to be anti-shinyitis too? PLEASE?

:D

Oh, DP... I simply have many hobbies vying for my expendable income. None of them are particularly cheap. Vaping is the least expensive hobby/habit I have. I'm saving $3500 to build a new workstation. My DSLR is in desperate need of being replaced. I need a new pair of backpacking boots. I'm still looking for a mid-sixties 'Vette to restore. I just made a capital investment in my business which simply prevented the money from trickling into my personal bank account. Priorities become difficult to establish. To add insult to injury, I didn't win PowerBall last night, again...

My advice to everyone for avoiding vaping shinyitis? Start a small business or add other hobbies to your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread