Liver problem and IBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al85lord

Sep 24, 2017
Hey guys I have IBD and a liver disease called primary Schelrosing Chlongitis. I had smoked cigarettes for a year and recently made the change. I hadn't had a flare up since I started smoking cigs. However my question is will vaping have any adverse effects on my disease. I also have a disease called autoimmune hepatitis. Is PG and VG both considered safe for the liver?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, this sounds like a rare condition, and really only your doc could advise you properly. If he doesn't have answers for you, how is your liver holding up through testing? If you've been vaping a while and your liver function tests are either improving after quitting smoking, or stay the same, I'd say that in your case vaping would probably be as safe as smoking, but not vaping at all may be safer. Maybe you can do some testing closer together if you are concerned?

Vaping is a harm reduction device, and it's not for everyone. With that kind of condition, I think I would be wary too. I just don't know enough about it to really give you an informed answer, other than if YOU decide to continue vaping, step up any testing done to see how stable your illness is, and monitor it closely for a while. I have no idea what role nicotine and other vape ingredients would have on your condition. I would want to say it may be safer than smoking, but I do not know that with ANY degree of certainty.

Best of luck, I'm sorry to hear about your condition.

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey guys I have IBD and a liver disease called primary Schelrosing Chlongitis. I had smoked cigarettes for a year and recently made the change. I hadn't had a flare up since I started smoking cigs. However my question is will vaping have any adverse effects on my disease. I also have a disease called autoimmune hepatitis. Is PG and VG both considered safe for the liver?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Please consult your doctor first, before trying to vape.
Could read the comments concerning Ulcerative Colitis.
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I did find this thread. It's about autoimmune disorders generally, but autoimmune hepatitis is mentioned a few posts into the thread, but it's not really positive news as far as PG, at the very least. Again, it's only one person, but there is some mention of how vaping affected this person, so I figured I'd post it.
Vaping with autoimmune disorders.
Again, it's anecdotal, but it may be worth looking at as you work with your doctor, this sounds really serious and complicated. :(

If smoking isn't affecting you detrimentally at this point, you could consider other options than vaping, such as SNUS (harm-reduction chewing tobacco manufactured first in Sweden). Again, you'd have to talk that over with your doctor and research it yourself, I am making ZERO recommendations as I see how serious this illness can get....

Good luck, you will be in my thoughts, and I hope you find a workable solution....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread