Locked Thread in Ask The Veterans ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
So, I attempted to answer a simple question for the OP in an Ask The Veterans area and was met with "Locked Thread". Others that have replied appear not to know of an answer to the OP question but my experiences indicate there is a simple answer that is applicable for the OP.

Does this indicate that I (as a new member) can not reply, or that the thread is locked for all users? (that would seem kinda dumb as nobody has provided the OP an effective answer to date ..., anyone reading the thread into the future would assume if "The Veterans" could not answer that there is/was no effective answer ... ?)

Thread Link: Mod that automatically changes Wattage based on Coil attached?

Thanks for any assistance on this,

EDIT: I just checked the thread again, and now is states "Thread Status: Not open for further replies."

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Moved to Site Feedback and Help

The Ask The Vets forum is to display finished threads that newer members have asked the Veterans of ECF (those members that have been on ECF for over a year).

If you had read the stickies in that forum, you'd have realized this.

#### Do not post twice here #### PLEASE READ THIS

In addition, any thread that has had no activity for more than 90 days is automatically locked by the forum software, regardless of location in the forums.

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
Hmmm,
Please understand that in no way do i mean this to be confrontational. I am an ignorant new member (by nature of being a new member) doing my best to understand your forum proceedings, AND get along.

First, Thank you for moving my thread to appropriate area.

RE: your reply
"The Ask The Vets forum is to display finished threads that newer members have asked the Veterans of ECF (those members that have been on ECF for over a year).

If you had read the stickies in that forum, you'd have realized this."

I did read "the stickies in that forum", and it states VERY BOLDLY
Ask The Veterans
Post New Thread

ATTENTION!New Members should ask their questions in the New Member's forum

My interpretation of the stickies very much contradicts your statements "The Ask The Vets forum is to display finished threads that newer members have asked the Veterans ...". I read the stickies that Ask The Vets is not for new members to post questions "ATTENTION! New Members should ask their questions in the New Member's forum". Additionally I thought I had read that new members were actually precluded from posting new threads to Ask The Vets ..., up until a prescribed post count?

Additionally, I struggle to understand how an unanswered thread could/should be considered "finished threads" worthy of archival. As I stated in my OP (that would seem kinda dumb as nobody has provided the OP an effective answer to date ..., anyone reading the thread into the future would assume if "The Veterans" could not answer that there is/was no effective answer ... ?)

As a constructive comment, I believe it non-constructive for a thread that has not been answered to be automatically locked from future replies. The example that got me into this conversation with you is a specific illustration of this (I believe I have an effective answer to OP's question, but am locked out from being able to answer from future reviews of the post).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding (as I have not specifically understood, or read this in the stickies), that maybe all threads in Ask The Veterans are locked once posted to this forum ...? I understand that questions asked are not viewable until answered, so maybe only members of certain status can see and post replies to questions asked in this forum ...?

Again, please understand my goal here is to understand how to co-exist and hopefully contribute as best I can. My communication here are a means to that :)

As illustration of my intentions, I have spent a fair amount of time to provide answer to original OP question for future reference in this post: Pre-Heat & Mod Auto-Change Wattage for Settings of Previous Fired Tanks, etc.

Thank you for your patience with me.
Regards,

Reactions: thetrucker

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
Possibly as simple as this reply:
Post #2
Pre-Heat & Mod Auto-Change Wattage for Settings of Previous Fired Tanks, etc.
"You have to have "veteran" status to reply in that forum.
I think you need 50 posts?"

My updated understanding:
1) You have to have "veteran" status to reply in that forum
2) After 90 days thread is auto-locked, perhaps veterans can no longer reply unless maybe a mod unlocks ...?

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Again, the purpose of the Ask the Vets forum is for new members to ask questions to the vets who have been on ECF for over a year.

What you posted was the forum description, not the sticky threads.

#### Do not post twice here #### PLEASE READ THIS

Rolygate said:
When you post here, this is what happens:
  • The post becomes non-visible except to Vets.
  • It awaits answers from Vets.
  • When they have answered it, the post is made visible again.
  • So please don't post twice because you can't see the post - it's supposed to be like that.
Also please note:
  • There could be a delay of about 2 days, so it is better not to ask questions that need a quick answer.
  • Most questions can be answered in the New Members forum. Ask The Vets is useful in case you did not get your issue answered fully, or if you cannot post there as you are a Full Member (this cuts in after 70 posts).

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hmmm,
Please understand that in no way do i mean this to be confrontational. I am an ignorant new member (by nature of being a new member) doing my best to understand your forum proceedings, AND get along.

First, Thank you for moving my thread to appropriate area.

RE: your reply
"The Ask The Vets forum is to display finished threads that newer members have asked the Veterans of ECF (those members that have been on ECF for over a year).

If you had read the stickies in that forum, you'd have realized this."

I did read "the stickies in that forum", and it states VERY BOLDLY
Ask The Veterans
Post New Thread

ATTENTION!New Members should ask their questions in the New Member's forum

My interpretation of the stickies very much contradicts your statements "The Ask The Vets forum is to display finished threads that newer members have asked the Veterans ...". I read the stickies that Ask The Vets is not for new members to post questions "ATTENTION! New Members should ask their questions in the New Member's forum". Additionally I thought I had read that new members were actually precluded from posting new threads to Ask The Vets ..., up until a prescribed post count?

Additionally, I struggle to understand how an unanswered thread could/should be considered "finished threads" worthy of archival. As I stated in my OP (that would seem kinda dumb as nobody has provided the OP an effective answer to date ..., anyone reading the thread into the future would assume if "The Veterans" could not answer that there is/was no effective answer ... ?)

As a constructive comment, I believe it non-constructive for a thread that has not been answered to be automatically locked from future replies. The example that got me into this conversation with you is a specific illustration of this (I believe I have an effective answer to OP's question, but am locked out from being able to answer from future reviews of the post).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding (as I have not specifically understood, or read this in the stickies), that maybe all threads in Ask The Veterans are locked once posted to this forum ...? I understand that questions asked are not viewable until answered, so maybe only members of certain status can see and post replies to questions asked in this forum ...?

Again, please understand my goal here is to understand how to co-exist and hopefully contribute as best I can. My communication here are a means to that :)

As illustration of my intentions, I have spent a fair amount of time to provide answer to original OP question for future reference in this post: Pre-Heat & Mod Auto-Change Wattage for Settings of Previous Fired Tanks, etc.

Thank you for your patience with me.
Regards,

Hi Spey.........................what I do if I see a thread that is closed and I want to reply to the original poster.....I send him or her a private message.......seems to be a good plan

for me............................just sayin....................hope this helps...........................

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
Hi Spey.........................what I do if I see a thread that is closed and I want to reply to the original poster.....I send him or her a private message.......seems to be a good plan

for me............................just sayin....................hope this helps...........................

thetrucker,
Ya, that was like the first thing I attempted. I have since learned that new members are it appears locked out of options to PM other members. I will attempt to send the OP a PM (as you suggest) to the thread I created to answer his question as my post count increases. My goal was to answer the OP, AND provide a futher source reference for others that may have the same question. Other forums that I frequent, I really appreciate the ability to review old posts and see how new ideas update the knowledge base. It appears that in this forum, they have set things up that there are most likely multiple threads related to the same subject (that is provided a subject matter stands the test of time - fresh updated info & ideas). I have learned here that threads are locked down automatically after 90-days, so no fresh commentary on old posts. I will endeavor to learn as I continue to explore this forum/site. Thanks for your thoughts.

Interestingly, I still do not see anything related to PM (Private Message) as you have referenced. Is "Start A Conversation", on this site, the PM method you are referencing?

I would be interested in reading any links you may have created related to your home-made PVC e-pipe ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
thetrucker,
Ya, that was like the first thing I attempted. I have since learned that new members are it appears locked out of options to PM other members. I will attempt to send the OP a PM (as you suggest) to the thread I created to answer his question as my post count increases. My goal was to answer the OP, AND provide a futher source reference for others that may have the same question. Other forums that I frequent, I really appreciate the ability to review old posts and see how new ideas update the knowledge base. It appears that in this forum, they have set things up that there are most likely multiple threads related to the same subject (that is provided a subject matter stands the test of time - fresh updated info & ideas). I have learned here that threads are locked down automatically after 90-days, so no fresh commentary on old posts. I will endeavor to learn as I continue to explore this forum/site. Thanks for your thoughts.

Interestingly, I still do not see anything related to PM (Private Message) as you have referenced. Is "Start A Conversation", on this site, the PM method you are referencing?

I would be interested in reading any links you may have created related to your home-made PVC e-pipe ;-)

here is a link for the pipe .........Picture of Your Setup Part 2!

Yes the "Start A Conversation" thingy is the same exact thing as Private Message.............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread