Status
Not open for further replies.

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
I agree with semi retired. Since we are former smokers, we likely have some lung damage. Without documenting what that is on the day we quit smoking, there is no way to know what is going on in our lungs. It would be interesting to see the lifespan of smokers, vapers, and ex-non-vaping smokers. It would still be un reliable because everyone smokes and vapes differently.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Vaping has been confirmed to have several harmful side-effects, including but not limited to: increased agitation of judgmental people, overdoses of jealousy in tobacco users, confusion & fear buildup especially for those in the political field, and high blood pressure & stress in anti-nicotine zealots.

Now that was pretty good.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
First off, all I say here should be taken with the grain of salt resulting from it being my opinion, based on some random research, not on any good review of the 'state of the art'...

OK... so the short and correct answer has been given multiple times already: it's not known. Biology is always full of surprises. None of the FDA approved new drugs that hit the market have known long term effects. It's the reason they do "post-marketing" trials to find out what really happens to people taking the stuff for a long time.

That said, it's very likely, almost 'known' in the absolute sense, that if you were to vape only PG, no flavor, no nicotine, there will be no harmful long term effect. Inhaled PG has been studied extremely well, and it's safe. It has been studied because it is being used in inhalers for many drugs, nebulizers, air conditioning and so forth. Also, there is no biologic reason to "predict" any long term exposure side effects. Could there be a dramatic surprise down the road. As I said, anything is possible, but as far as PG is concerned, the probability is extremely small.

VG hasn't actually been studied as much for two reasons: it is known to be a perfectly safe substance when ingested, and there is no massive application for inhaled VG. There is no reason to believe absorbed VG would have any effect whatsoever, but the inhalation may lead to a surprise long term effect - in this case, I'd say it's probably unlikely, but really not known. I believe that even if such effect exists, it wouldn't be a deadly / massively disabling one.

Nicotine - we "sort of" know it is not a major causal agent for the main harmful effects of cigarette smoke. We know that's "fairly safe", hence the existence of approved medical nicotine inhalers, and there is data on "tobacco vaporizers" which are/were pushed by tobacco companies - these are probably far more harmful than vaping, and yet it seems they are already much, much safer than traditional "pyrolitic" (i.e. burning) methods. At best, nicotine may only have some ill-effect through an as of yet unquantified contribution to high blood pressure; at worst, it may have several other ill-effects that are not known. It's not a carcinogen, at least. (Un)fortunately, a lot of research is channeled by means of funding into fishing for some, any ill-effects of nicotine, so if there are some, we are sure to find out soon.

The true unknowns are flavors, devices and contaminants. Especially the last two suffer from an evident lack of safety data and knowledge about what's variable out there. It is again probably unlikely, but the honest answer is that I, for one, have "no idea". I would really be happy if anyone could share any insights in this. I am not really worried, just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread