Longest lasting atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I am interested in knowing what brand of atomizer seems to consistantly last a long time. Cleaning seems to help the lifespan so if that was done tell me about that too. Thanks!

Lorddrek

I think what type or make of atomizers last longest wouldmake an interesting poll.......can someone set one up??

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
My very first black 901's still kickin strong (bought it 08/08) it looks like crap though.. it's supposed to be black but it's looking more.. sick.. lol the paint doesn't hold up well with me apparently.. but both of my blue atomizers I bought back in..idk.. January I guess it was.. have crapped out on me in the last week :( I think it may just be luck of the draw... though I am interested how Carol's gotten one to stay alive for over a year..

rlorange

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Australia
Keep your atomizer wet with juice and it will last as long as possible. If you vape it dry even for a little bit crap with crustify on the heating coil. If you keep your carts topped up with juice after every vape this helps. I don't usually drip unless it has run dry on me.

There are many ideas on cleaning but I simply immerse in a saucepan with boiling water and white vinegar for a half hour once a week. make sure it is dry before using then drip some juice in and let it soak in with a fresh cart, shorting out an atomizer will kill it and your battery.

If it dies completely then my feeling is that its has burnt out the coil but others tell me that a soaking in some chemical may resurrect it. If it has just stopped working well then here is my method.

step1: boil in water and vinegar.

step2: soak in caustic soda and hot water, this will attack the organic and carbon deposits on your coil.

Step3: rinse in boiling water

step4: soak in descaling liquid and water (phosphoric acid). This will break away salt deposits and strip away the surface tarnish on the metal giving better battery contact as well.

step5: final boiling water rise.

If this doesn't help then I'm not sure what else will

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
The 'long lasting' atomizer is a myth, and it hangs out with the Loch Ness monster, the Great White Buffalo, Bigfoot, and Elvis.

There is no quality control or standards... two seemingly identical atomizers can (and often do) have radically different life spans.

Walrus--that is as true a statement as it gets. Some are duds out of the box, some last a day, some a week, others longer. The quality control is just not there. ---Sun

But it's also partly down to how it's used and looked after.

Also, I'm sure they all work when leave production. But there is transit too. At the end of the day the heating coil is a very fine filament, almost like a light bulb, and just like light bulbs, some will go sooner due to an indetectable imperfection. It would happen like this even if you rolled your own, so to speak.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
But it's also partly down to how it's used and looked after.

That is also true--IMO--if you get an atomizer and it lasts 5 full days--then with maintence, there should be no reason now to not have it get a nice livespan out of it----that is the goal. Any defects would show after 5 days. From there on out I think now I can hopefully conclude its all in the hands of the user-------Sun

My point is also that the manufacturer can't tell the lifespan at the time of testing, only that it works.

The only thing that could be done is a stress test that pre-blows the weaker ones, but that would weaken all. It's what they do with lightbulbs.

Even the brand with lifetime guarantee - same pattern even though they would definetely benefit from producing a robust version. Until there is a new design that is more robust the problem will remain because the heating element is so delicate, and there's no easy way around it - as can be seen by the fact that there is still no other design on the table.

I think everyone should dismantle one to its 10 or so parts - it's a real eye-opener.

Having said all that, I am interested to find out by poll which models perform best and live longest.

Last edited:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
My point is also that the manufacturer can't tell the lifespan at the time of testing, only that it works.

The only thing that could be done is a stress test that pre-blows the weaker ones, but that would weaken all. It's what they do with lightbulbs.

Even the brand with lifetime guarantee - same pattern even though they would definetely benefit from producing a robust version. Until there is a new design that is more robust the problem will remain because the heating element is so delicate, and there's no easy way around it - as can be seen by the fact that there is still no other design on the table.

I think everyone should dismantle one to its 10 or so parts - it's a real eye-opener.

Having said all that, I am interested to find out by poll which models perform best and live longest.

its a shame this place is so full of speculative nonsense..

of course they know how long the things last on average.. they simply dont want to say...

the history of this place is strange.. a year ago folks didnt know.. then some acquired reasonable knowledge and passed it...

now all those people with knowledge have gone and this place is full of speculative nonsense and misinformation again..

some knowledge.. atomizers seem to be good for around 5000 puffs or vapourizing around 25 ml of liquid.. after that they turn into pretty useless items..

they are not like light bulbs and simply stop working.. they.. in equivalent terms simply get dimmer and dimmer until they become pretty useless.. the point they get thrown away is up to the user..

except for light occasional use.. e cigs should be treated as semi disposable items and not expected to last long because they will not.. spares should be obtained in advance..

some simple facts which will quickly disappear off the front page and into the archives.. the speculative nonsense will continue.. which is why the people with knowledge have left.. its a waste of time trying to pass it on..

trog

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA

of course they know how long the things last on average.. they simply dont want to say...

the history of this place is strange.. a year ago folks didnt know.. then some acquired reasonable knowledge and passed it...

now all those people with knowledge have gone and this place is full of speculative nonsense and misinformation again..

some knowledge.. atomizers seem to be good for around 5000 puffs or vapourizing around 25 ml of liquid.. after that they turn into pretty useless items..

they are not like light bulbs and simply stop working.. they.. in equivalent terms simply get dimmer and dimmer until they become pretty useless.. the point they get thrown away is up to the user..

except for light occasional use.. e cigs should be treated as semi disposable items and not expected to last long because they will not.. spares should be obtained in advance..

some simple facts which will quickly disappear off the front page and into the archives.. the speculative nonsense will continue.. which is why the people with knowledge have left.. its a waste of time trying to pass it on..

trog

Exactly... I understood that going into this. I simply consider the cost of new atomizers (and batteries, to a certain extent) as the equivalent of buying new packs of cigarettes, and I'm content (if not happy) when an atomizer lasts as long as 2-3 packs. Of course, when it comes to my e-cigar, I want it to last as long as 4-5 packs... but that's cause that atomizer costs $22-$25 dollars.

In the case of one of my atomizers lasting 3 weeks, I was ecstatic.

Lorddrek

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
its a waste of time trying to pass it on..

What a sad statement. Even worse coming from a "Manufacturer".

I guess I should have been much more clear when starting this thread.

I am not interested in working atomizers that have been shelved for a year. Only ones used from start to finish. Or from start to present.

My reason for asking was to try and figure out what atomizer would be best to use for a homebrew vaporizer. After reading the replies I still am no closer to an answer. What I did gather is all of them is that no atomizer stands above the pack.

I will choose the M401 because that is what I currently use and have had no problems. Cleaning with phosphoric acid seems to help keep these things alive.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
What a sad statement. Even worse coming from a "Manufacturer".

I guess I should have been much more clear when starting this thread.

I am not interested in working atomizers that have been shelved for a year. Only ones used from start to finish. Or from start to present.

My reason for asking was to try and figure out what atomizer would be best to use for a homebrew vaporizer. After reading the replies I still am no closer to an answer. What I did gather is all of them is that no atomizer stands above the pack.

I will choose the M401 because that is what I currently use and have had no problems. Cleaning with phosphoric acid seems to help keep these things alive.

Hi Lorddrek,

My longest lasting atomisers date from Oct last year, and are from the original Intellicig (DSE-103 type). They are used on a USB passthrough plugged into a usb battery. Because they run "warm" they just keep going and don't die.

Lorddrek

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
My longest lasting atomisers date from Oct last year, and are from the original Intellicig (DSE-103 type). They are used on a USB passthrough plugged into a usb battery. Because they run "warm" they just keep going and don't die.

So from this I gather that the DSE-103 can last longer because of higher temps keeping the atomizer clean. keeping buildup off the filament might be the answer to longevity.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC

trog

MY new best friend,
first I own your SD and needless to say, great piece of work, thank you and many of us look forward to your NEXT product

I have been vaping for a while, I have been on this site for maybe a month and the difference in that month alone, is quite a disappointment
I am confident that the original intentions for this site, was to inform, educate and make a pal or two and bring the vaping community together as one, so if we needed to fight the MAN, we could do so in numbers

Although, just over the last few short weeks, the tone and tempermant has become, at times, angry, inmature, filled with silly uninformed speculation and someimes, just MEAN

I started to post more than I have in the past, to attempt to bring a touch of humor, always a positive tone and pull as much information out. so I could build my stable of products, hoard as much juice as I can and keep quite
Your past few comments, are exactly how I feel and the enjoyment factor, seems to slide, we need to reinstate the original purpose and tone, that you and others, so bravely broght to light

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
So from this I gather that the DSE-103 can last longer because of higher temps keeping the atomizer clean. keeping buildup off the filament might be the answer to longevity.

Lorddrek--to the contrary a hotter running atomizer cooks the e-liquid and causes a faster residual build up on the coil. A good example of the is the penstyle 4 hole RN4072 which has an extemely high burn rate. Its coil builds up residual e-liquid much quicker than its counterpart 801 and in turn has a shorter life expetency. IMO and upon visual inspection of many of these atomizers disassembled, a higher burn rate, absent a viable cleaning method of the residue causes a shorter lifespan of the atomizer--Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread