Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I don't know much about Kanthal, but the only thing I know that rusts that fast is high carbon steel. Bad batch of metal perhaps?

You should get your money back imo.
For $.01 cents worth of wire?

It's cheap cheap wire. That's why it turns to manure.

buy good wire and wrap good coils. They won't rust.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
I have been building clapton since the beginning and never seen this color before. I'm suspecting the wires might have some machine oil on it during production.

It's happening a lot to me now with various clapton coils. I'll go to re-wick for the first time, coil will look blackish but fine, dry burn, and instantly before my eyes they are turning to a rusted color. I had some really nice alien clapton coils this happened to the other day, so I pulled them out and hit them with a wire brush for 15 mins. Got it all off, rinsed them, torched them, re-installed. Seem to be like new again but I'm not sure why they're rusting instantly after dry firing. It is what it is I guess. I'll deal with it.

crisisady

Verified Member
Mar 11, 2016
It's happening a lot to me now with various clapton coils. I'll go to re-wick for the first time, coil will look blackish but fine, dry burn, and instantly before my eyes they are turning to a rusted color. I had some really nice alien clapton coils this happened to the other day, so I pulled them out and hit them with a wire brush for 15 mins. Got it all off, rinsed them, torched them, re-installed. Seem to be like new again but I'm not sure why they're rusting instantly after dry firing. It is what it is I guess. I'll deal with it.

I doubt those are rust. Seems to me its aluminium oxide as during dry firing, the process will result in the outer layer form aluminium oxide. But the color seems too much. Do you have another spare atomizer or other brands of clapton to test with?

Most of the time when i dry fire, the color just darkens from silver to grey.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I think you're not dry burning them enough/properly.

Whatever liquid was last used is also going to be on the inside; so when you dry burn, thatstuff on the inside has to be burnt out before everything can get clean.
Quench them too.

Reactions: Izan

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
I doubt those are rust. Seems to me its aluminium oxide as during dry firing, the process will result in the outer layer form aluminium oxide. But the color seems too much. Do you have another spare atomizer or other brands of clapton to test with?

Most of the time when i dry fire, the color just darkens from silver to grey.

If it is aluminum oxide, would that be grounds to trash them? Sure I have other atomizers and other brands of clapton to test with. This has happened to some degree or the other with two different types of Wotofo pre-made clapton coils (all kanthal wrapped kanthal), and it has also happened to a lesser extent on clapton wire that I used to make coils myself, and that clapton roll is made by Geekvape. Also kanthal wrapped kanthal. Most of the time when I dry fire, it turns to a silver/grey as well, except these times of course. Was there something you thought I should try? I'm pretty much chalking it up to low quality wire, and assuming now that I can't use these pre-made claptons very long.

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
I think you're not dry burning them enough/properly.

Whatever liquid was last used is also going to be on the inside; so when you dry burn, thatstuff on the inside has to be burnt out before everything can get clean.
Quench them too.

I thought that too maybe, that I wasn't dry firing long enough. On another dual coil setup using Geekvape clapton wire (not pre-made coils), I saw a similar rusty look the other day. I dry fired a lot more than I normally would because I was tossing them anyway, because they were much much older. I don't know if it got worse, but it didn't get better. Quench them meaning like, drop oil on them as I'm dry firing or something?

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
Indeed, seems that's way to fast for rusting. Must be something else at play.
Yeah and for it to happen right before my eyes. Prior to dry burning, it's just black and dirty looking like it normally would. Dry firing it, it sizzles, smokes, I scrape a little with tweezers, and boom right when it seems clean and it cools down, it looks rusty. I've never seen this in anything other than clapton pre-made coils and clapton wire. Never noticed this level or any level of rusting like this with my regular Kanthal or SS builds.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I thought that too maybe, that I wasn't dry firing long enough. On another dual coil setup using Geekvape clapton wire (not pre-made coils), I saw a similar rusty look the other day. I dry fired a lot more than I normally would because I was tossing them anyway, because they were much much older. I don't know if it got worse, but it didn't get better. Quench them meaning like, drop oil on them as I'm dry firing or something?

quench meaning drip water on red hot metal;
to get rid of the ash/loosesolidstuffonthemetal

Reactions: mike910mx

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
Ok. I definitely haven't done that ever. Not sure what to do. I'm hearing that I may be getting aluminum oxide formation on the coils, which may be due to dry firing too much I'm not sure exactly, and then I'm hearing that I may not be dry firing enough. I guess I'll just let it go for now, and keep an eye on all my rda/rta coils. When it happens again and I'm sure it will, I'll make sure and dry fire a lot and quench with water. If it truly is just cheap wire as many mentioned, then that's something that I will need to change.

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
Yeah I must say, I have a new pair of Wotofo clapton coils exactly as the ones I have posted pictures of. Just went to clean/dry fire them for the first time, and I filled a 15mL unicorn bottle up with water. Kept firing and dropping water on them, and they came incredibly clean. They're bright silver looking and no reddish/orange color at all on these. Thanks a lot for the tip.

mike910mx

Apr 7, 2016
it was residue from the eliquid.
like what you get when you forget your fried egg in the frying pan with the stove on low.
Ok, I still have these reddish/orange coils in the pictures that I posted above. I took them off but put them aside. I'm almost tempted to throw them back on an atty, and dry fire them with a bunch of water and see what happens. Not so much to save them and re-use them, but just to see if it comes off on its own now with the water, proving that it could be like you say a residue more than the results of oxidation or something. Yeah, I think I'm going to do that just for the heck of it and for possibly getting to the bottom of all this.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok, I still have these reddish/orange coils in the pictures that I posted above. I took them off but put them aside. I'm almost tempted to throw them back on an atty, and dry fire them with a bunch of water and see what happens. Not so much to save them and re-use them, but just to see if it comes off on its own now with the water, proving that it could be like you say a residue more than the results of oxidation or something. Yeah, I think I'm going to do that just for the heck of it and for possibly getting to the bottom of all this.

In the Interest of Science...

Why don't you soak a New, Unused Coil in Rubbing Alcohol and then give it a Good Hot Water Rinse. Then mount it and do a Dry Burn and so it looks Funky?

Reactions: Izan

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
@mike910mx Did you get a result on those old clapton's using edyle's quenching suggestion?

I tend to agree that certain juices are the culprit and have had similar experiences with regular contact coils using UD 24 awg rather than using my regular wires from a European manufacturer.

I notice the orange comes off when rubbed with 90 degree alcohol and appears too quickly, after dry burning, to have time to rust. ("rusting before your eyes")

It will be interesting to see what folks here on ecf report from the use of a multitude of different gauge/composition wires used in advanced (exotic) coil builds since we tend to use much higher power with these sorts of builds than you might using a specific gauge of wire on it's own.
Same goes for the liquids, I have never seen this orange color when vaping all sorts of coils on various equipment using the same juice. Coils would get cruddy in my genny builds.

Maybe part of the issue is our coils are just too clean LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread