Looking for a very specific mechanical mod - need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc1967

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Colorado Springs
I have gone through a whole bunch of mods in the last 4 years (regulated/mechanical, tube/box, authentic/clone, etc) and it seems as far as the mechanicals anyway most have had had quirks or drawbacks in some form or another. Although I have certainly have plenty of devices and don't need anything I would like to pick up another mechanical (a clone is fine) as long as it meets my specific criteria. One advantage of having gone through so many devices is I have learned exactly what I want. So based on my criteria are there any mods that you feel meet them all.

18650 only
not telescopic
single tube preferred (ruling out the King, Chi You, etc...)
suitable for sub-ohm
stainless steel preferred (durability and longevity)
a simple and efficient switch (rules out Nemesis, Stingray, Electric Angel, etc)
simple to clean and maintain

that's about it. Any mechs you would recommend based on this? Thank you for any input.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
This has been my daily driver for months now, one of the only mechs I use now :)
IMG_20161028_141049_812.JPG

Got it from 3f, couldn't be happier with the quality of this mod :D

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Sounds like you want a Ruby. I`m hitting my clone right now and it ticks all your box`s. The authentic is avail in stainless, but I would split the difference and go with brass IMHO.

And if I ever had to live with just one, it would be the Ruby in brass. Just a solid no nonsense chunk of vaping pleasure. Its about as bullet proof as you could ever get. Your supposed to load the batteries in upside down for the venting to function properly, so battery inspection and respect is mandatory.

Edit, I forgot to add it comes with a proprietary atomizer, LOL.

L1070289.JPG

BOL.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Sounds like you want a Ruby. I`m hitting my clone right now and it ticks all your box`s. The authentic is avail in stainless, but I would split the difference and go with brass IMHO.

And if I ever had to live with just one, it would be the Ruby in brass. Just a solid no nonsense chunk of vaping pleasure. Its about as bullet proof as you could ever get. Your supposed to load the batteries in upside down for the venting to function properly, so battery inspection and respect is mandatory.

View attachment 610391

BOL.

Why in the world anyone would design a mod with the battery reversed is beyond my comprehension.

There is absolutely no benefit only an increased risk of problems.

Beautiful device.. Horrible design.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
IDK, Why would people get on top of a big bomb and fly into space. Beats me. Even when they blow up and there is nothing left but dust there are still people who want to do it, SMH.

:?)

A better analogy would be strapping a chair to an armed missle and beating on it with a hammer just to fly across the state, when we have commercial flights running safely on the hour.

Its a foolish design, asking for trouble.
They should know better.

Reactions: KenD

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Bad, everyone is entitled to their own opinion based on their own comfort level.
If you aint comfortable, no big deal.

I don`t have a problem with it. And I did`nt listen to those people who said 510 DTB hybrids were foolish either. :?)

I simply ask what is the reason?
There is usually a reward for increasing risk.

There is zero logical reason to install the battery backwards.

Seriously increases risk, zero reward.
Its a foolish design to market to inexperienced vapers.

Reactions: KenD

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
The SMPL clone is amazing for $6-10 but a direct to battery connection.

GP Paps mods are incredible but pricy. Gus are also great but fairly pricy. Both have amazing switches and come in a 18650 only config.

I have all 3 and use them almost daily. No stupid rice pins or easy to stick locking mchanisms.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I simply ask what is the reason?
There is usually a reward for increasing risk.

There is zero logical reason to install the battery backwards.

Seriously increases risk, zero reward.
Its a foolish design to market to inexperienced vapers.

Everything about mech vaping is a risk, a "manageable" risk. You have to know the issues and deal with them one at a time just like any other manageable risk in life.

Your whole risk scenario "REQUIRES" a ripped or broken wrapper. That is something that can be avoided fairly easily. If you are ripping them whilst installing them maybe mechs ar`nt for you. Mechs do require a deft hand, a careful hand, and a careful eye. Mechs do require experience. Marketing is marketing. There should be much higher standards in marketing, but (Raspberry) Lawyers are involved.

FWIW, there are a lot more mechs I believe designed to be run like this. The SMPL for one, the TVL, the SCNRDL. All have vent holes on the bottom.

WHY? Probably because it keeps the top of the mech clean and blemish free. The limitless has probably the best venting ever designed, and uses the battery in the standard position, but some wont like those holes and channels, and sometimes juice can get in the tube from these holes. That`s probably the simplest answer, aesthetics. How many choices do we make in life due to looks, LOL.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Everything about mech vaping is a risk, a "manageable" risk. You have to know the issues and deal with them one at a time just like any other manageable risk in life.

Your whole risk scenario "REQUIRES" a ripped or broken wrapper. That is something that can be avoided fairly easily. If you are ripping them whilst installing them maybe mechs ar`nt for you. Mechs do require a deft hand, a careful hand, and a careful eye. Mechs do require experience. Marketing is marketing. There should be much higher standards in marketing, but (Raspberry) Lawyers are involved.

FWIW, there are a lot more mechs I believe designed to be run like this. The SMPL for one, the TVL, the SCNRDL. All have vent holes on the bottom.

WHY? Probably because it keeps the top of the mech clean and blemish free. The limitless has probably the best venting ever designed, and uses the battery in the standard position, but some wont like those holes and channels, and sometimes juice can get in the tube from these holes. That`s probably the simplest answer, aesthetics. How many choices do we make in life due to looks, LOL.

So you flip your battery and sacrifice safety purely due to aesthetics of a hidden battery?

Thats it?
To whom does it look better?

In my experience thats not a sign of a good design.

And yeah maybe poorly designed mechs arent for me.

That said own about 90 mechanical mods, and Ive touched and repaired more mechanicals than most modders. But maybe you are right....what would I know about mechanicals?

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Naw, you just see the potential for error. That in and of itself is good, it means you can see it and if you decided to use it you would be aware of the potential issue`s and could be extra safe. That`s all. :?)

There`s a reason racing tires ar`nt allowed on the road, but people still use them, best analogy I can think of right now. Its not that they are inherently unsafe, its just that they may be unsafe in some situations.

That being said, I make my own insulators when needed, drip tips, done a few contacts out of copper and turned a couple of k24 caps (Iv been working on lathes since I was 15). And have yet to have a battery vent on me. But I don`t make a big deal out of it.

Best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread