Looking for a very specific mechanical mod - need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
Bad Ninja defends the Cherry Bomber with the same fervor he attacks positive-down tubes, though the exact same defense one uses for those tubes is the same he uses for the CB: Don't be a chucklehead and it's all good.

Cherry Bomber-
A bunch of people: "Bad design! Will blow up in your face!"
BN: "Users have to be smart and it's all good."

Ruby-
BN: "Bad design! Will blow up in your face!"
A bunch of people: "Users have to be smart and it's all good."

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
The CB needs another element in order to become "dangerous". It needs you to be quite daft in fact and ultimately lob it in a pocket with other metal objects.

The Ruby on the other hand is different as the mod itself could become dangerous due to an unobserved fault in the cell. That's a different kettle of fish.

I do like the Ruby and I do use one, but what ninja (and others) raise about the Ruby is a very different concern to that raised by the CB and is not comparable IMO. The CB argument has always been ridiculous if you ask me.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Nothing wrong with the CB, I have one of my own. Its a lil large and bulky for my small hands and for the life of me, I can't get the WiFi to worko_O

image.jpg

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Bad Ninja defends the Cherry Bomber with the same fervor he attacks positive-down tubes, though the exact same defense one uses for those tubes is the same he uses for the CB: Don't be a chucklehead and it's all good.

Cherry Bomber-
A bunch of people: "Bad design! Will blow up in your face!"
BN: "Users have to be smart and it's all good."

Ruby-
BN: "Bad design! Will blow up in your face!"
A bunch of people: "Users have to be smart and it's all good."

Deflecting the discussion by bringing up an entirely different mod with entirely different concerns is laughable.

If the CB was a tube mod designed to use a battery in the most dangerous configuration imaginable, with zero logical reasons for doing so, Id saybits a bad design also.
With a CB, you have to actually shove the fork into the wall socket to have an issue.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I've owned some amazing mechs, and since all of your requirements seem to be performance/feature based, I can tell you what my favorite PERFORMER was, in line with your needs. The GP Paps V3 that I won here in the 15M post contest.

The lock switch is GREAT as long as you don't use it to access your battery, use the top cap. The switch is perfect, you can stand it up no matter how heavy your top without firing, and the top cap has a spring loaded center pin that accommodates all the batteries with NO rattle or adjustment and very high quality. I thought it was marvelous, but PIF'd it to another mech lover that I thought would really like it too.

Last edited:

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I didn't know that. Thx!

Yeah, I had poor results trying to use it to get at the battery. But once you tighten it on there GOOD so the thread is tighter than the lock ring, no more problems. Just take the top off to get your battery out, and you'll never have to deal with the bottom as anything other than a lock switch. THEN I loved it.

Reactions: markfm

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Did that stop the bottom from locking? The only issue I have with my GP is that the lock will get stuck from time to time, only requires unscrewing and rescrewing, but still a PITA.

Apologies for the sidetrack!
Yeah, I had poor results trying to use it to get at the battery. But once you tighten it on there GOOD so the thread is tighter than the lock ring, no more problems. Just take the top off to get your battery out, and you'll never have to deal with the bottom as anything other than a lock switch. THEN I loved it.

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Did that stop the bottom from locking? The only issue I have with my GP is that the lock will get stuck from time to time, only requires unscrewing and rescrewing, but still a PITA.
Apologies for the sidetrack!

Yep, because I used much more force to put the threaded end cap on, than I typically use to lock or unlock. So it just always works as a lock ring, without fail.

Reactions: BreSha6869

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
Why in the world anyone would design a mod with the battery reversed is beyond my comprehension.

There is absolutely no benefit only an increased risk of problems.

Beautiful device.. Horrible design.
I'm making sure I understand this properly. If you install the battery positive up and have a battery wrap problem the mod will auto fire. If you install a battery with a bad wrap negative up and hit the fire button you get a hard short. Well the auto fire if you are on the ball(and even if you aren't) isn't that big of a deal. A hard short on the other hand can turn scary in a heartbeat. I guess it's a good thing the venting is on the bottom because you'll need it! Lots of mechs have the venting on the switch and people put the positive up. Me included. Is there any reason that you can't just put the battery in positive up?

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I'm making sure I understand this properly. If you install the battery positive up and have a battery wrap problem the mod will auto fire. If you install a battery with a bad wrap negative up and hit the fire button you get a hard short. Well the auto fire if you are on the ball(and even if you aren't) isn't that big of a deal. A hard short on the other hand can turn scary in a heartbeat. I guess it's a good thing the venting is on the bottom because you'll need it! Lots of mechs have the venting on the switch and people put the positive up. Me included. Is there any reason that you can't just put the battery in positive up?

If the battery goes into thermal runaway, gasses are vented from the positive end and the can typically swells. If a battery is inserted positive end into a tube with the only venting at the opposite end, the swelling cuts off the escape route for the venting gas and the entire tube can blow. Minor venting will not result in the can swelling and should escape the tube without pressure building.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I don't think that's what he was asking. What I believe he was saying was that there are many mods out there with venting holes at the bottom, where we use the batteries positive end up. So can the same be done on the Ruby.

The answer is yes you can btw. But you have to weigh up the risk.

Last edited:

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
I don't think that's what he was asking. What I believe he was saying was that there are many mods out there with venting holes at the bottom, where we use the batteries positive end up. So can the same be done on the Ruby.

The answer is yes you can btw. But you have to weigh up the risk.
This is what I was asking. I didn't think there was any reason why one couldn't put the battery positive up in a ruby or a roundhouse. This is how I would run it if I owned one. + up!

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
And that there is exactly what Ninja was talking about.

For me, I'd rather take the gamble of a battery venting away from the holes in the mod, than put it in positive down. My thinking is that anyone can easily damage a wrap, but if you build sensibly, you have got to be unlucky to vent a battery from normal use.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Why in the world anyone would design a mod with the battery reversed is beyond my comprehension.

There is absolutely no benefit only an increased risk of problems.

Beautiful device.. Horrible design.

You'll be happy to hear the V2 Kennedy Roundhouse has topside venting. Hopefully, they'll follow suit with any new Ruby mods.

Reactions: Ben85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread