Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thank you to everyone for your insights. I went with a Kayfun mini v3 clone. Here's to hoping it gets him closer to his vaping happy place.
I would recommend either 26 or 28g. 26g is a little easier and holds up better but 28g is great also. I have 3 km3's and kind of like the 26g slightly better. I do 2.5 mm diameter coils between 6 and 7 wraps which comes in around .8 ohms and vape at 23 watts. I find rayon the best but cotton is great as well. On average I open the juice flow about 1.5 turns open with a 70 vg juice. One thing to watch is moving the insulator block as you tighten your coil. The new authentics has added a small piece that prohibits the block from spinning but I doubt the clones have this. If the block turns it can touch the sides and perhaps short and Block off juice. It won't happen on its own, so no worries there, it can only happen if you really tighten the screws when trapping leads, so just keep that in mind

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
After watching a few videos I think he's going to like the KFM 3 but also think I'll order a clone of the KF 5. If either of those are getting him into a good place I'll get him an authentic.

I use a KFM 3. It's the closest to the Nautilus that I know of, although it still is a bit more airy. I haven't used my KF 5 yet, and I understand from what I've read that it isn't truly MTL. I bought the MTL adapter kit, but I can't speak for it since I haven't used it yet.

I can tell you that the KFM 3 has more flavor than the Nautilus.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I can tell you that the KFM 3 has more flavor than the Nautilus.
Excellent, that's one of his complaints with the Toptank. And he's not really after a true mtl, but a restricted dl. Or, who knows, maybe he'll dig mtl when he has a tank that can really support it. At any rate, I'm excited and hopeful that this tank will improve his experience and get him one step closer to wanting to vape more than he wants to smoke.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
I agree with several posts of this thread, the Kayfun Mini v3 is a great option, airflow can be adjusted and is top filled. I have had zero leaking problems and usually vape it at 12-14 watts, 2.5 mm, 28g, 7 wraps kanthal coil.

Check that the mini v3 comes with the improved insulator or buy one. A good tip is to get a spare central post and maybe some glass spare tanks.

The Kayfun 5 is a better option due to the larger fluid capacity and the size makes it easier to build a coil but is more airy than the mini. SM sells a MTL kit that solves the problem (but I haven't been able to get one here).

Both tanks give you great, I mean really great, flavour!

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
After watching a few videos I think he's going to like the KFM 3 but also think I'll order a clone of the KF 5. If either of those are getting him into a good place I'll get him an authentic.

I hope he likes them. I use both mini and K5 and are my preferred ones. If possible go for the authentic ones, they are great!

Reactions: vapdivrr

RainSong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
If possible go for the authentic ones, they are great!
If money were no object I would buy authentic everything all day long. ;) As an experiment though my budget is sadly clone level. If he really likes them I'll save and get him authentics as a special gift.

RainSong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Although I never bought a clone if you do some Googling many of the Top of the line devices can be found at really inexpensive prices. I just ordered 25 coils for my tanks and the total cost with shipping is $51 which basically works out to $2 a coil.
The clone I went with was 4+ stars with over 400 reviews, so I'm hopeful it will be ok.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Had terrible trouble with Authentic Kayfun Mini V3. It leaked like a sieve. Had to close Juice Wells at night orvs puddle of Juice on the counter in the morning

I would recommend either 26 or 28g. 26g is a little easier and holds up better but 28g is great also. I have 3 km3's and kind of like the 26g slightly better. I do 2.5 mm diameter coils between 6 and 7 wraps which comes in around .8 ohms and vape at 23 watts. I find rayon the best but cotton is great as well. On average I open the juice flow about 1.5 turns open with a 70 vg juice. One thing to watch is moving the insulator block as you tighten your coil. The new authentics has added a small piece that prohibits the block from spinning but I doubt the clones have this. If the block turns it can touch the sides and perhaps short and Block off juice. It won't happen on its own, so no worries there, it can only happen if you really tighten the screws when trapping leads, so just keep that in mind

Reactions: Opinionated

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Had terrible trouble with Authentic Kayfun Mini V3. It leaked like a sieve. Had to close Juice Wells at night orvs puddle of Juice on the counter in the morning
Perhaps a bad oring? Or maybe insufficient wicking material along with the JC opened to much with a very wide spaced coil? Usually if it leaks like that it's a seal issue.

Reactions: RainSong

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Perhaps a bad oring? Or maybe insufficient wicking material along with the JC opened to much with a very wide spaced coil? Usually if it leaks like that it's a seal issue.

It was an extremely bad O ring on the drip tip. There was a hairline Gal between the Shaft and the top of the Atty.

I found Someone that was willing to pay $75 for if, and a RAN back to Kayfun lite plus V2.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
If money were no object I would buy authentic everything all day long. ;) As an experiment though my budget is sadly clone level. If he really likes them I'll save and get him authentics as a special gift.

I'm sure your husband will love the tanks! And he has to love you more for your carefulness.

There is an Eycotech clone (k5) that is 1:1 and a Mexican reviewer said it works as well as the authentic and that he has even interchanged some parts from both.

BTW, you should convince my wife to buy me some vaping gear! :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It was an extremely bad O ring on the drip tip. There was a hairline Gal between the Shaft and the top of the Atty.

I found Someone that was willing to pay $75 for if, and a RAN back to Kayfun lite plus V2.
Did you try to exchange it ? Seems like most vendors would stand behind something like that, or perhaps you bought it second hand?

Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread