Status
Not open for further replies.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I am a strickly MTL vaper, no dripping no sub-ohm, no clouds and I like really small tanks. Flavor is not a big issue either because I vape a basicaly unflavored 50/50 juice that has a bit of koolada in it. Probably my biggest requirement is a tank that doesnt leak. My favorite atty that fits all my needs is the GS Air MS and I am getting pretty good at rebuilding coils for it but they are so tiny I thought I might look for a second atty while we can still easily get them. I also have a Kayfun lite Plus which of course is way easier to rebuild but too big and too wide for me for daily use.

What I hope to find is a tank the size of the Air with the ease of building of the Kayfun and it needs to be a 19mm so it looks good on my Provari mini.

So I looked though dozens of posts on ECF for advice plus I googled several tank reviews and I have narrowed it down to a Kayfun mini V3. What do you think? Is that the one? Any other tanks you recommend? And if the K mini is the one would a clone be ok to buy because I cant find an authentic one & couldnt afford it if I did.

Appreciate your help.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida

HootOwl

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2016
Indiana
Your vaping style is pretty similar to mine. I only do MTL at about 11 watts, with single coil setups at about 1.5 ohms. I use strictly unflavored VG at 12mg nic.

To address your questions- yes the KFV3mini is a great little RTA. Didn't have any leaks at all for a while, but once the orings began wearing, along with some user errors, I have had some leakage but all very minor.
It can run straight thick VG when setup right, so with your juice you would get along great with it. For your criteria, don't waste any more time and get a couple of them ordered!! I say that in part because I love this size for an RTA so much, I have searched high and low and can't find one as good. You could be a better googler than me tho. Good luck, report back with updates of what you get and how you like it if you can. I'd be interested to see how you get along

Reactions: Bea-FL

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I'm pretty sure all Provaris (tubes, not the radius) are 22mm. I know the older versions have the tapered top; I have a v2. My point is that if you're concerned about aesthetics, picking up a beauty ring may open your options some. There are some shorter 22mm tanks that might fit the bill if I'm remembering right and those will not overhang if you use a beauty ring.

There may well be some options that will fit the 18mm top of the tapered Provaris, but if you are open to the beauty ring and a 22mm tank, that just gives you more room to build. If you've been rebuilding GS-air coils, something like that would be a breeze.

If you did go that route, the Kanger subtank mini is 22mm, has a kayfun-style rebuildable deck and also takes stock coils, including 1.2 and 1.5 ohm that are perfectly good for MTL (especially the 1.5s). The stock coils are also basically rebuildable, depending on your skills. I would think if you can rebuild the GS-air coils you could rebuild those, and of course it has the deck as well.

I still like MTL sometimes but it's not my primary vaping style, so sorry I can't be of a little more help but otherwise you are in good hands. Good luck!

Last edited:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I'm pretty sure all Provaris (tubes, not the radius) are 22mm. I know the older versions have the tapered top; I have a v2. My point is that if you're concerned about aesthetics, picking up a beauty ring may open your options some. There are some shorter 22mm tanks that might fit the bill if I'm remembering right and those will not overhang if you use a beauty ring.

There may well be some options that will fit the 18mm top of the tapered Provaris, but if you are open to the beauty ring and a 22mm tank, that just gives you more room to build. If you've been rebuilding GS-air coils, something like that would be a breeze.
Funny you should mention the beauty ring. I was just thinking about that too. My V2.5 mini is 19mm and that ring would indeed open up my options. So assuming I do buy that ring what RTA small tanks would you recommend that are unlikely to leak.

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I just edited my post to include a recommendation, but I realized the STM is probably taller than you're looking for :/ The Subtank nano doesn't have a deck so I wouldn't necessarily recommend that as a first choice, but that would fit without a beauty ring (it's 18mm I think) and uses the same coils which should be rebuildable, again depending on skill. But admittedly not your best option.

I use tanks but not a ton, and the ones I use most often won't be for you :( If the Subtank Mini isn't too big for you, I think that really could be an option... I have never had trouble with leaking and the rebuild deck is great for your style of vaping IMO. It just might be a little bit too big.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Your vaping style is pretty similar to mine. I only do MTL at about 11 watts, with single coil setups at about 1.5 ohms. I use strictly unflavored VG at 12mg nic.

To address your questions- yes the KFV3mini is a great little RTA. Didn't have any leaks at all for a while, but once the orings began wearing, along with some user errors, I have had some leakage but all very minor.
It can run straight thick VG when setup right, so with your juice you would get along great with it. For your criteria, don't waste any more time and get a couple of them ordered!! I say that in part because I love this size for an RTA so much, I have searched high and low and can't find one as good. You could be a better googler than me tho. Good luck, report back with updates of what you get and how you like it if you can. I'd be interested to see how you get along
Would you go with with the FT clones?

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I'm going to do a little bit of searching for you and I'll try to get back.

One thing I'll say is don't rule RTAs that are possibly "meant" for subohming; I'm sure you know this but really the question for you is how far you can close off the airflow for MTL. Certainly a lot of tanks won't be able to close down enough for your preference, but some might.

Some kind of Kayfun seems the most obvious solution and may indeed be your best bet... I just feel like there may very well be some creative second or third option, in case that doesn't work out.

Also, you weren't asking me, but usually with Fasttech clones I'll buy as long as someone has gotten the exact same clone and can vouch for it.

ed: Vape NW has the Tobeco Kayfun v3 for a good price, but it's out of stock. I can certainly vouch for the quality of my Tobeco Velocity clone. Maybe you could e-mail customer service and ask if and when they think they'll get it back in?

HootOwl

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2016
Indiana
I want to add something that may be (slightly) useful for you or others. With china-made clones, there are almost always imperfections of machining, drilling, thread cutting, etc. I bought a set of needle files or jewelers files, some sets are available for about 5 bucks.
Especially of the KFMV3, the holes the juice flows out of the tank thru-often have sharp edges or burrs. By smoothing these out and in some cases enlarging them, you will certainly get better smoother juice flow, especially with high VG like I run. Those little files can be used a number of ways to easily make up for some of chinas sloppy machine work, and get your cheap atty working almost as good as an authentic one

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Also, you weren't asking me, but usually with Fasttech clones I'll buy as long as someone has gotten the exact same clone and can vouch for it.

ed: Vape NW has the Tobeco Kayfun v3 for a good price, but it's out of stock. I can certainly vouch for the quality of my Tobeco Velocity clone. Maybe you could e-mail customer service and ask if and when they think they'll get it back in?
Thats how I feel about clones in general. I dont mind them as long someone else can vouch for them. I made the mistake of getting some clones from China and they are not good. Unfortunately it seems most of the US is out of stock right now.

You are much too generous with your time and have already given me great advice. I will keep searching around for the Kayfun and see if I can find it in the US. Will post what I find. Thanks

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Well, let us know what you find and if you're still having trouble, donating our time to help is what we do here. It's really no big deal.

So, this last thing is completely separate from your current question. I understand you want a tank, don't drip, and my next question/suggestion is not meant to supersede that.

If you don't already own one, have you considered getting a MTL-capable dripper just to have on hand in case you run into problems? By that I mean, there are some metal tanks but a lot are glass. You can get replacement glass but can't see the future. Drippers are a lot harder to break and some definitely fit with your style of vaping.

It's just a thought and again I'm not suggesting you get one instead of a new tank. I understand they're not for everyone. I just think we all need to be thinking outside of the box to make sure we're set for the worst in terms of the FDA regulations. I have absolutely gotten stuff I might not normally buy in order to help ensure that happens, for me.

Basically I'm just trying to make sure everyone is thinking about what they need in the long term, and having back-ups if what they want somehow breaks or can't be found. I swear I'm feeling stressed not just for myself, but for everyone!

For like the third time, though, it's just a thought. I am not a dripper who thinks that everyone who doesn't like dripping just "doesn't know what they're missing." Please don't feel the need to justify yourself if that's simply not a path you want to go down. It just seems like since you're already rebuilding, $15 or so could get you a decent MTL dripper that can sit in a box unless you need it for an absolute emergency.

Last edited:
Reactions: HootOwl

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Well, let us know what you find and if you're still having trouble, donating our time to help is what we do here. It's really no big deal.

So, this last thing is completely separate from your current question. I understand you want a tank, don't drip, and my next question/suggestion is not meant to supersede that.

If you don't already own one, have you considered getting a MTL-capable dripper just to have on hand in case you run into problems? By that I mean, there are some metal tanks but a lot are glass. You can get replacement glass but can't see the future. Drippers are a lot harder to break and some definitely fit with your style of vaping.

It's just a thought and again I'm not suggesting you get one instead of a new tank. I understand they're not for everyone. I just think we all need to be thinking outside of the box to make sure we're set for the worst in terms of the FDA regulations. I have absolutely gotten stuff I might not normally buy in order to help ensure that happens, for me.

Basically I'm just trying to make sure everyone is thinking about what they need in the long term, and having back-ups if what they want somehow breaks or can't be found. I swear I'm feeling stressed not just for myself, but for everyone!

For like the third time, though, it's just a thought. I am not a dripper who thinks that everyone who doesn't like dripping just "doesn't know what they're missing." Please don't feel the need to justify yourself if that's simply not a path you want to go down. It just seems like since you're already rebuilding, $15 or so could get you a decent MTL dripper that can sit in a box unless you need it for an absolute emergency.
Thanks for the dripper suggestion. It's a good one. I tried a friend's dripper but it just doesnt appeal. But I agree with you about thinking outside the box. Thats what I'm doing searching for a second favorite tank. When I started stocking up I kept thinking how do I know what I will like 10 years from now, and assuming we still have choices by then will I be able to afford new stuff? So I stocked up on what I like now but decided to branch out just a little - spent a lot of money for the dark ages already.

But I so object VERY LOUDLY to being put in that position by the government.

Jstcriusen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
I have 3 KFM V3's from YiLoong
The seller I got them from threw in a set of better post screws for each one and extra O-Rings.
There all perfect IMO, I had 0 problems with them .

I also picked up an authentic Kayfun 5. I had problems with that. Faulty o- rings right from the get go. So Every thing is hit and miss but my clones were great. The Minis are some of the best MTL tanks I own!

I got them Ebay seller .......... Search the description . He,s in the states and the only one that has the Yiloong Clones that i seen on there. Think they were 18 bucks with like $2 dollar shipping.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I have 3 KFM V3's from YiLoong
The seller I got them from threw in a set of better post screws for each one and extra O-Rings.
There all perfect IMO, I had 0 problems with them .

I also picked up an authentic Kayfun 5. I had problems with that. Faulty o- rings right from the get go. So Every thing is hit and miss but my clones were great. The Minis are some of the best MTL tanks I own!

I got them Ebay seller .......... Search the description . He's in the states and the only one that has the Yiloong Clones that i seen on there. Think they were 18 bucks with like $2 dollar shipping.
I found it on ebay and will be ordering shortly!

Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate all your advice. Will let you know how I like it. Isn't this the best vapers' forum? So many nice helpful people here :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HootOwl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread