Looking for some new mod suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyakaguy

Sep 14, 2015
MN
I've been anticipating/dreading the day I'd have to replace my first two mods, but that day is approaching quickly and I want to get some suggestions.

What I'll be replacing are, as I said, my first two "big boy" mods that I got after I put the Ego spinner in the drawer and haven't looked back.

The first is an original first gen K-box Mini 50w VW. It's been a great and tough single batt box and has held up to a lot of use and abuse (outdoor rock shows in torrential downpour, several drops, etc). It's been going strong, but it's starting to show the signs of wearing out: the 510 is getting finnicky and sensitive about atty thread/pin length; and the fire button sometimes works with barely any pressure, other times needs to be gorilla gripped to fire, and rarely will not fire at all.

I'm looking for another single battery mod to replace it; preferably with TC, passthrough, and user updatable firmware clocking in around the sub $50 mark.

The second is an original first gen eleaf iStick 100w (wattage/voltage only). It's also held up pretty well, aside from having a battery door that's never closed completely (which has caused me to have to prematurely replace batteries due to it eating the wraps off of the batteries, and also why I haven't bought anything from Vista Vapors in about a year). It'd be fine, except that the battery life has been horrible lately due to the firing lingering for up to a few seconds after firing, which I noticed after falling into the rabbit hole of building again a month or so ago.
Absolutely no 510 issues though. It's been a pretty good mod, aside from the lingering fire and looking past the battery door issues, but the technology has come a long way in the last year and this one is pretty basic.

I'm looking for a multiple battery high wattage capable (200+), TC, passthrough, with user upgradable firmware, again around the $50 mark (or slightly higher[emoji41]).

Thanks everyone in advance for reading and helping me out and thanks to everybody here for all the advice and knowledge I've gained over the last year or so.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Strictly speaking, no higher wattage mods have actual pass-through vaping. Usb power simply doesn't have the current required. Mods pause the charging while you vape.

I'm very fond of the iStick Pico. A great little mod with tried and true software and updates.

As for the 200+w mod, note that you'll need at least two batteries to do more than 180w safely (and more than three batteries to do more than 270w safely, and that's with true 30 amp batteries). I have four rx200 that I've been very happy with, though you need to take care with the 510 connector (use spacers with atties that have long 510 pins, don't force down atties on the mod - following those simple guidelines you should be fine). I haven't tried the rx200s but it should more or less be the same mod with a nicer screen.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stephen1520

guyakaguy

Sep 14, 2015
MN
Strictly speaking, no higher wattage mods have actual pass-through vaping. Usb power simply doesn't have the current required. Mods pause the charging while you vape.

I have four rx200 that I've been very happy with, though you need to take care with the 510 connector (use spacers with atties that have long 510 pins, don't force down atties on the mod - following those simple guidelines you should be fine). I haven't tried the rx200s but it should more or less be the same mod with a nicer screen.

I guess I should clarify that what I want is the capability to charge onboard. I know It's not the best way to charge batteries on a constant basis, but it's a handy feature to have. My Koopor Plus does damn near everything I want; it's high wattage, dual battery, adjustable ramp-up, and TC (with adjustable TCR); BUT it doesn't have onboard charging, which would be nice (HG2s last a while, but they take forever to charge and I don't travel with a real charger), and it is definitely NOT user upgradable.

I actually looked at the Reuleaux RX200 before I bought my Koopor Plus, but ultimately (or unfortunately) didn't get one at the time, but I got the Koopor for a steal from VaporDNA (which was shipped about $5 short on postage). I think I might have to do a little more research on the RX200S as a viable option for my new bigger mod.

I'll check out the Pico, but I'm not entirely swayed one way or the other on single battery mods yet.

Thanks KenD!

Last edited:

guyakaguy

Sep 14, 2015
MN
The Pico definitely fits the bill, but there are some aesthetic-y things I don't immediately love about it.

I think my biggest dislikes about it are the flask-like battery cap which also seems to limit the atomizer OD to 22mm; and the buttons on the bottom. It also comes with a tank, but if I got it the tank would probably get used for one or two full tanks and then sit around with the other tanks I have in the land of misfit tanks.

I'm going to keep looking at it, and it's still viable, but I'm not ending the search at the Pico.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
You can buy the Pico without the tank, which I agree, the tank is not the best. I personally like the flask look, but yes it limits you to 22-23mm. I have and like the brushed silver model. It's really clean looking and I think it looks better than the cost would indicate. I don't think it's really SS, but it sure looks like it. I also like the buttons on the bottom and out of the way.

guyakaguy

Sep 14, 2015
MN
You can buy the Pico without the tank, which I agree, the tank is not the best. I personally like the flask look, but yes it limits you to 22-23mm. I have and like the brushed silver model. It's really clean looking and I think it looks better than the cost would indicate. I don't think it's really SS, but it sure looks like it. I also like the buttons on the bottom and out of the way.
I'm pretty sure it's a zinc/aluminum alloy, which pretty much all eLeaf stuff is made out of. They're lightweight, but don't feel flimsy.

I also don't really have a whole lot of atomizers that are bigger than 22mm, but it's the principle of not being able to use them if the mood strikes me. One of the biggest reasons I want to replace my geriatric K-box Mini is because it pretty much only works with the Mini Subtank it came with because the 510 is taking a crap. I don't want to be limited to a certain atomizer or one of a particular size.

Reactions: Ed_C

guyakaguy

Sep 14, 2015
MN
I don't really want a hassle.

I'm looking at the RX200s and I definitely am liking it, but I've heard some reviewers say they have wonky 510 pins that make atomizers not sit flush. So I looked at all of my in-use atomizers and put them on all of my mods, that I've been using daily for over a year, and literally none of them sit flush with the mod, except for the black Subtank on the Subox Mini, which doesn't count because it's the ONLY tank that works on that one. So atomizers sitting flush is not a thing.

Has anybody heard anything about or used the Smok Nano/R Steam or the Koopor Mini 2? They both seem to tick off all of my boxes, but I haven't delved into many reviews yet.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I don't really want a hassle.

I'm looking at the RX200s and I definitely am liking it, but I've heard some reviewers say they have wonky 510 pins that make atomizers not sit flush. So I looked at all of my in-use atomizers and put them on all of my mods, that I've been using daily for over a year, and literally none of them sit flush with the mod, except for the black Subtank on the Subox Mini, which doesn't count because it's the ONLY tank that works on that one. So atomizers sitting flush is not a thing.

Has anybody heard anything about or used the Smok Nano/R Steam or the Koopor Mini 2? They both seem to tick off all of my boxes, but I haven't delved into many reviews yet.

Use a spacer. That's what I do with tanks that don't fit flush on my Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf mods.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I won't touch anything made by Joytech/Eleaf , i refuse to support companies that refuse to warrant their products and i just don't think they are quality devices .

Even when Joytech admitted that their 510's were not reliable and were causing numerous failures they still refused to help the customers that had models that had the issues .

Cheap devices yes, quality definitely not . Busardo's factory tour of Joytech supported my opinions of them.

Want a great device that has an authentic YiHi chipset and solid aluminum build quality , look into an iPV mini 30 or 70 watt .

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
I won't touch anything made by Joytech/Eleaf , i refuse to support companies that refuse to warrant their products and i just don't think they are quality devices .

Even when Joytech admitted that their 510's were not reliable and were causing numerous failures they still refused to help the customers that had models that had the issues .

Cheap devices yes, quality definitely not . Busardo's factory tour of Joytech supported my opinions of them.

Want a great device that has an authentic YiHi chipset and solid aluminum build quality , look into an iPV mini 30 or 70 watt .
I agree so hard. Mods with yihi chips usually only fail because of the body or 510.
I'd look into yihi chips or DNA. Lost Vape would be my pick for any mod now. The build quality is great and they really cheap for what you're getting.
As for the 200w mod, we're back to lost vape. The DNA 250 chips are killer and have 2 amp charging.
The Hohmwrecker G2s are legit too...no charging though.

The 213 is the last cheap mod I got and luckily it was bad enough I had to replace it before it failed (less than 6 months).
If you go cheap, you'll get cheap.
Smok, Kanger, Sigelei and Joytech have no place in my life. Smok and Sigelei used to make some of the best mods you could get. Not sure about the other 2. Now it's all crap.
Ipv used to make good mods too but they stuck with yihi the whole way so the mods are half good.

Last edited:
Reactions: herb

Stephen1520

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2015
Texas
So, does anybody have any opinions on the Smok Nano or the Koopor Mini 2?

I have the Smok Nano and I like it. I usually rotate between it and the Pico when I'm on the go. I have no complaints about the Nano. Got the kit at Vapenw.com for about $40

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
So, does anybody have any opinions on the Smok Nano or the Koopor Mini 2?

I had the Koopor Mini v1. It broke and I got it exchanged for a vtc mini. I'm sure I just had bad luck. Besides having bad battery runtime (and the firmware update debacle) I really liked it.

Stephen1520

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2015
Texas
I had the Koopor Mini v1. It broke and I got it exchanged for a vtc mini. I'm sure I just had bad luck. Besides having bad battery runtime (and the firmware update debacle) I really liked it.

Battery life on my Koopor Mini was awful too

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I agree so hard. Mods with yihi chips usually only fail because of the body or 510.
I'd look into yihi chips or DNA. Lost Vape would be my pick for any mod now. The build quality is great and they really cheap for what you're getting.
As for the 200w mod, we're back to lost vape. The DNA 250 chips are killer and have 2 amp charging.
The Hohmwrecker G2s are legit too...no charging though.

The 213 is the last cheap mod I got and luckily it was bad enough I had to replace it before it failed (less than 6 months).
If you go cheap, you'll get cheap.
Smok, Kanger, Sigelei and Joytech have no place in my life. Smok and Sigelei used to make some of the best mods you could get. Not sure about the other 2. Now it's all crap.
Ipv used to make good mods too but they stuck with yihi the whole way so the mods are half good.

I agree about Kanger , good tanks but mod's , no thanks . Never had a Smoke but had a Cloupor and the chipset is terrible , turns on/off randomly etc...

You are right about Sigelei and P4U 's iPV series , used to be much more solid but unfortunately they have also gone down the cheaper is more profitable than quality path .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread