Looking for something simple & portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatlikeTread

Nov 17, 2014
AZ
(Stop me if you've heard this 500 times already today) I am thinking of switching from Cigarettes for various reasons.
A little bit about my smoking habits: I smoke Marlborough red 100s and it usually takes 2-3 days to go through a pack. I think It's the routine of smoking that I am stuck on than the actual nicotine, and as a food service worker a large portion of how I got started smoking was that it got me out of the kitchen for 5 minutes to sit down and do something different (not to mention managers are less likely to care about somone taking a smoke break than a get off my feet for 5 minutes break), and I find it easier to only smoke a portion of a cigarette frequently than to smoke the whole thing less often.

Anyways, I am hoping to find something that's simple to use and that I can take with me. I have had coworkers that have smoked the large vape pen thingies and have been able to try a couple, but I can;t say those did much for me (admittedly I am not sure how much is the fact it's huge and not what I am used to and how much is that I don't really want vanilla or blueberry on demand). I have seen people saying bad things about Blu, but even if the quality is (supposedly) terrible, it seems to have a few things that I think I am looking for. First of all you have spares, so if you run out you can just screw a new battery and cartridge together, and the case is nice being able to carry spares of both in the same size the pack of cigarettes I don't want in my pocket which at least sounds tons more convenient than those pen things (spares take up more space and I don't need any more random, loose objects in my pockets).

Anyways what are some decent choices for something that's simple to use and can have spares kept together in a convenient and small box?
I also don;t want to break the bank, and am not even sure what price levels should be setting alarms off since I have seen e-sig starter kits as low as $30 and as high as $150 for about the same thing (generally 2 batteries and 5(±5) cartridges, and chargers some with cases some without)

On a random side note, I am seeing people note that you don't vape like you smoke rather you [PROCEDURE]
Funnily enough that sounds a lot like how I DO smoke, I tend to draw smoke into my mouth (not unlike sucking on a straw) and inhale from there to mix some actual air into my poison. Am I missing something here? Have I been smoking wrong?

Last edited:

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
Innokin MVP 2.0. Its a box mod and thats comparable in size to a pack of smokes. I was a pack a day smoker and it would often last me 2 solid days on a single charge. It also gives you plenty of warning on when it needs to be charged. You can find one online for about 40-50 bucks. The part that holds the liquid is the challenge. The Nautilus has been the tank on here that seems to have the most support but it will look a big odd on the mvp. I'm sure there are other suggestions but I have been using a dripper (not a tank and uses coils I make). Those cartridges you mentioned seem convenient but do not taste good and those blu batteries spend more time charging than being used. At least mine did 2 years ago. Maybe they have improved. It seems a bit odd at first but you quickly get use to a new device. I remember when I first got a cell phone and it seemed awkward to keep up with. Talk to your coworkers, hopefully they are the helpful vapers vs stuck on "their way is best". If you have a local vape shop swing by and check some flavors out. I will say don't be afraid to try non tobacco flavors. So many of us go out thinking we want something that taste like a cig and discover we like other things too. Good luck!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm off to bed so I won't be posting again, but I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions when people start waking up.

Bottom line: There are "cig-a-likes" much better than the ones you can get at convenience stores, but they still have the drawbacks of short battery life and a limited variety of attachments you can use. Many people find it easier to quit tobacco using a device with more power that doesn't look like a cigarette, since it reenforces that you're vaping, not smoking. In a sense you don't actually quit smoking, you find something you like better.

You don't have to worry about being limited to something huge, there are a number of good devices around that can be hidden in the palm of your hand.

If you're heart set on a cig-a-like, Volt by Smokeless Image is probably the best around, but it has 808 threading, so you topper choices are limited when you want to experiment (which you likely will). 510 threading is the most common.

Electronic Cigarettes | Smokeless E-Cigs | Smokeless Image

A little more advanced cigarette size that's popular is the eRoll. This link is just for info, you may be able to find a better price elsewhere: Joye eRoll Electronic Cigarettes, Starter Kits & Accessories by Joyetech

For more details on the eRoll there is a sub-forum dedicated to it: Joyetech eRoll *Mini*

I'm not up to date on all the new devices currently on the market, so I'll leave further suggestions to other member. I have a tip though: Ignore people who tell you that you immediately have to get a mechanical, start building your own coils and use a dripper to have a good vaping experience, it's not true. The forum only represents a small portion of the vaping community and most people out the the "real world" don't bother with it. Building can be fun, but truthfully it's more of a hobby. At some point you may become interested in exploring advanced gear, but at this point you're better off getting an easy set-up you're comfortable with. I'd much rather have you vaping away while you read about different things to try, than getting confused by a barrage of info and caught up in the feeling that you can't vape until you understand all the technical stuff you've likely never heard of before.

Just so you know, the "O" in Ocelot stands for Opinionated; both of them.

Cheers!

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
You can find a couple of Ego type 900mAh batteries for around $35 + a quick charger. Find that a 900mAh can last all day if I do not over vape. Tanks? I would suggest the SmokTech Aro, been seeing those run around $5. A pack of coils for that tank is running around $5 per 5 pack too. So, your minimum hardware may run you around $40-50 depending on where you buy. Don't let initial put down discourage you from kicking the butts. The upfront outlay is well worth the priceless benefits of vaping. :) Besides that, once you have a basic kit, you'll find after using it a while the whiz-bang-super-duper kit costs drop off, you can upgrade cheaper then. You may also decide sticking with a basic kit works fine for your needs, just maintain it.

Juice can run anywhere from $2 for a 10mL bottle to $15 for the same size, again depending on where you buy. I usually get a 30mL from Mt. Baker for around $9 each month. Usually being the optimal word. Recently bought an 8 Oz bottle from there for around $40. It is a juice I like, use as an all day/night vape. I like the service, the knowledgeable staff, product quality, delivery from Mt. Baker, many others seem to as well. They seem to be one company that is in business to stay in business, without shorting the customers. :) They have good prices too. I will not say the best but really good and fair. You can find them listed in ECF's Vendor listings or a search for "Mt. Baker Vapors".

N.B. * Get used to seeing stuff in metric measures. A 30mL is roughly 1 fluid ounce, so then a 15mL is about a half ounce. so, the 8Oz bottle is roughly 236mL. You'll find the Smok Aro tank holds roughly 2.5mL of juice. If you don't chain vape that can last around 3 days. If you do chain vape, it may only last a day. The product description may tell you the tank holds 3mL, from use you find a .5mL wiggle buffer applies. The tanks need air inside to create vacuum. This applies across the board to all tanks. So if a tank's PR says it holds 6mL you can figure it holds around 5.5mL. Also when looking at DIY juice recipes it is good to recall using mL, or percentages to list ingredients. This lets others have a more accurate means to try the recipe, maybe up a percent, decrease a percent. Again, all to a user's likings.

I smoked regular cigarettes for 25-30 yrs, 1/2 to pack a day. Smoked Marbies, Lucky Strikes, Camels, generics, RYO. Wife kept nuding me with cig-a-likes to start vaping instead. She was worried about health risks, and finances to be sure. I could not get into the cig-a-likes at all, they seemed too expensive for what they were, iconic window dressing for the Big T companies to seem to make a choice available. Saw these other forms of vaping, devices looking like some Star sci-fi type of things, got real curious, real quick. Looked on inter-webs, figured out the basics and pointed wife in general direction. She got me a kit similar what I suggested to you.

Now, I'm upgrading. Getting an MVP2 kit by Innokin, it comes with the Innokin Iclear30 tank. I already own a KangerTech AeroTank which is getting a steel tube replacement. It was Pyrex glass. Me and Murphy had a run in, the glass broke on a concrete floor as concrete floors are apt to break glass. *chuckles* :) I still have the SmokTech Aro tank as well. I have found a type or class of coils work for it and the AeroTank alike, they are single coil, coils. For me they do fine. I used the dual coils the AeroTank came supplied with, had a friend help me trying to rebuild them after cleaning quit working. They proved to be general pains in the rump to deal with and it was decided best to simply buy new ones. Call me cheap but paying $10 instead of $5 for coils just didn't go over well. I use the single coils instead of duals for the Aro and Aero, they Work For Me Fine, Your Mileage May Vary. ;)

And I think that is about the gist of vaping. You'll find what works for you, stick with it, or maybe try something new now and again. The main principle being what works for you. You can pay hundreds if you want. No one says you need to though. Until recently, I had yet to spend over $100 at any one shot on vaping stuff, let alone $50. But I'm moving into the sixth stage of vaping, acceptence. I only sneak a regular cigarette once in a blue moon now, or if there has been a death in the family, as means of prayer. Even then it's not the cigarette I desire, I dislike them, they taste bad, they make me sick. Let me vape instead. Vaping gives me clean and stable nicotine and offers good tasting delivery mechanisms.

So there's my nutshell. Apologies if it was a bit long.

Last edited:

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not appropriate, please read stickies

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
you can rebuild the Protank coil heads, get a little better vape and save even more money.

Gee, could those ProTank singles also be the same generic, or UniTank coils I rebuild? ;) :) And they truly do seem a universal coil for a number of tanks. Although, I would caution get to know which ones. Not sure yet if these work in say Aspire type tanks for example, or even different SmokTech tanks. I do know though the Tumbler tanks by SmokTech take the same as the Aro by same company, meaning they take the ProTank single coils.

From what I see, it seems the AeroTank is just a fancied up ProTank, given an air flow control base unit. I may be wrong, but it does look very similar.

Jasonvap

Moved On
Nov 17, 2014
New York
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Off topic or Not helpful to the OP

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I've been very pleased with my eLeaf iStick. It's more compact than the MVP and one charge will easily last you all day.

NxCmnu5.jpg

dashreeve

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Florida
What Hawk said - I have 3 MVPs and 3 Isticks, they are both nice batteries. Istick is more compact, more power, and I like the way if fits my hand. Fire button suits me better as well, but I still use the MVPs daily as well as the isticks.
I've been very pleased with my eLeaf iStick. It's more compact than the MVP and one charge will easily last you all day.

NxCmnu5.jpg

CatlikeTread

Nov 17, 2014
AZ

Those both look like sucking on a can of lighter fluid to be honest. Aside from that though, I have no idea (yet) if I will even need a single battery THAT big.

I'll look at the things you mentioned, though if anyone has links to good online shops with good offerings to browse, that'd be great.

So is EVERYONE saying that the minis aren't worth my time because nobody has mentioned them despite my having done so. I've seen V2 and GreenSmoke pop up as top options in the category when I looked for reviews, though other's have made a showing like Halo or Apollo, and some of them have refillable cartridges. Am I wasting my time even looking at these?

OT: Seriously? When I try to quote an image from THIS thread it says I am not allowed to post links, then it automatically inserts links into my post? I know combating spam is important but FFS.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
So is EVERYONE saying that the minis aren't worth my time because nobody has mentioned them despite my having done so. I've seen V2 and GreenSmoke pop up as top options in the category when I looked for reviews, though other's have made a showing like Halo or Apollo, and some of them have refillable cartridges. Am I wasting my time even looking at these?

*grunts* Oh yeah, minis are crap man. No one uses those, no true vaper does anyway. *lol*

The lowest battery I have used is a 900mAh. I figured a simple 2-5 hours life prior to needing recharge for a 650mAh, or 350mAh was in all seriousness a waste of time/effort/money for me. That was a complaint I had with the cig-a-likes, not enough battery life or power.

You'll find if you go to using " tanks, clearos, rda and such " the mini batteries cannot "push" what the tanks need as far as power output, at least with consistency. Better to have a Tank of a battery to push the tank used to hold the juice, than fry a twinkly dinky battery. If nothing else charge cell phones off your battery. *grin* I know some wife looking into that.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Last edited:

athousandyears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Texas
Congrats on taking steps toward quitting smoking! I tried cigalikes the first time I tried to quit and they weren't for me. The problem was that they didn't produce enough vapor or throat hit. Another problem was that because of the weight, it didn't even really feel like a cigarette. But, there are people out there that have been able to quit using them so if you are dead set on that size, go for it. The important thing, IMO, is to take that first step and try.

The second time I tried to quit, I used a 650 mah ego sized battery. It is more the size of a cigar. If you aren't opposed to something that big, I would suggest an eGo C Twist or Vision Spinner. I am a fan of this kit for beginners. http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm You can choose two batteries and two toppers. It's always smart to have backups for when one battery is charging.

edit: If you are going the cigalike route, I'm sorry I don't have suggestions. I can only say that Blu, while a novel idea, was pretty awful.

Last edited:

ethereality

Nov 13, 2014
Philadelphia
I know when I kicked the butts and switched to vaping, I was in a similar situation as you. I was looking for something simple, portable, and practical. I already have an expensive hobby (craft beer :p), so I'm not much interested in the modding/hobbyist aspect of vaping. Cigarettes were simply just too disgusting/expensive for me to keep up with and I wanted a similar alternative for much of the same reason as you. I'm a general contractor/painter so I tend to enjoy my bi-hourly 5 minute smoke breaks. They tend to make 8 - 12 hours of climbing ladders and manual labor a little easier.

So, set in my ideals, I walked into a local vape shop and told the associate exactly what I was looking for in an e-cig. Lo and behold, I ended up with an iTaste VV 3.0 battery which is rechargeable and always lasts me an entire work day and then some. And even if I forget to charge it before leaving the house, it charges via a standard mini-USB (which I keep in the work truck at all times regardless) so a quick top-off while at work isn't an issue.

I also have an EVOD Glass tank equipped which holds enough juice to last me at least two days (with the exception of weekends because I chain vape like a fiend whilst at home).

All of this comes in a package not much larger than your run-of-the-mill office pen/marker. I can easily slip it in my pocket in the morning or drop it into my lunch bag. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal of Blu cigs and the like, but I tried those before and was severely unimpressed. However, with my current setup, I've been more than pleased.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Those both look like sucking on a can of lighter fluid to be honest. Aside from that though, I have no idea (yet) if I will even need a single battery THAT big.

I'll look at the things you mentioned, though if anyone has links to good online shops with good offerings to browse, that'd be great.

OT: Seriously? When I try to quote an image from THIS thread it says I am not allowed to post links, then it automatically inserts links into my post? I know combating spam is important but FFS.

It might take some time looking through all the suggestions, but you will find something you like. We are lucky that the market is growing so fast there really is something for everyone.

You may feel like people are steering you toward devices larger than you are comfortable with, but it's based on experience. Smaller devices often don't have long enough battery life or options to make the transition away from tobacco easy.

If a cigarette sized device is what you want, we can find you a good one, but stay away from products like GreenSmoke. Not only are they expensive, but they have proprietary threading, so can only use GreenSmoke cartridges. I started with GreenSmoke, since they got good reviews and I didn't know about ECF, but I sent it back in less than a week after seeing a video about the Ego. GreenSmoke wasn't horrible, but the cartridges come in very few flavors.

Baditude put together a basic list of e-cig components. It's a little dated since the market is growing so fast, but should give you a rough idea of what people are talking about:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-carto-tank-what-guide-juice-attachments.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...06-4-good-starters-setup-beginning-vapor.html

Egos and Spinners are about as thick as a Sharpie pen and come in different lengths. The longer they are, the more battery life they have. You can get really small ones. Like this: Vision Spinner Variable Voltage 400mAh eGo Battery - smallest VV on the market!

Ego-style batteries can all use the same charger, so you can get different sizes, like a small one for going out and a bigger one for at home. The little stick batteries (cigarette-sized, cig-a-likes) use a different size charger and cannot be charged with an Ego charger.

Here is a good price for a Joyetech 510 kit. This cig-a-like was very popular before the Ego was released. https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/starter-kits/standard-voltage/510/joyetech-510-starter-kit.html It has 510 threading, so if you get bored with using cartridges, you can use a small tank like a Vision Nano. Vision Nano Clearomizer

Is there a vape shop anywhere near you? Buying from a shop is more expensive than buying online, but when getting your first kit it can be very helpful to look at different devices in person to get a feel for them. You can also look up suggestions you have been given on youtube for more info.

Last edited:

CatlikeTread

Nov 17, 2014
AZ
You really think it looks too big? Look at post #446 in this thread, picturing it next to a Bic lighter.

Well without reference it can be a bit hard to tell what size something in a picture is, but at the very least I was thinking it's more battery than the usual stick shaped vapers you usually see.. intra-forum links here are bad, I got sent to the wrong page and had to actually search for that post. The first time I tried on my phone was worse since the posts aren't numbered. GRR.

Ocelot: I will certainly search through the suggestions, to see what I can find, though admittedly, part of what made me post was analysis paralysis, so more suggestions is of dubious use unless it can do a good job explaining WHY X good for me, and isn't the only instance of a suggestion.

So far it's looking ego or bust, though I am still wondering if there's a way to conveniently carry spares to just take a small case where I don't have to worry about did I remember to charge and fill this last night.

As for vape shops, I think there are a couple around here, though a a few only have that as one of the things they sell. I just tend to find it more convenient to order online.

Edit: (REMOVED - Complaining about how site is run...Please see the rules)

edit edit:
Are there any good size comparisons for various things (ego battery next to a generic pen or something)? Like with that ileaf thing, I honestly can't look at pictures of any of this stuff and know how big it is, and again i am hoping for a setup I can contain in about the same size as a pack of smokes (and being contained is important, I don't need more loose items rattling around in my pockets)

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
People keep suggesting an Ego-style due to battery life and versatility, but since you don't appear to smoke very much and keep coming back to something the size of a pack of cigarettes, I again suggest you look at the eRoll. It's called the eMini by Ovale in this video, but that's just the branding for a specific market. It is the same device as the eRoll by Joyetech. As I posted earlier there is a sub-forum dedicated to the eRoll for more specific info: Joyetech eRoll *Mini*

CatlikeTread

Nov 17, 2014
AZ
People keep suggesting an Ego-style due to battery life and versatility, but since you don't appear to smoke very much and keep coming back to something the size of a pack of cigarettes, I again suggest you look at the eRoll. It's called the eMini by Ovale in this video, but that's just the branding for a specific market. It is the same device as the eRoll by Joyetech. As I posted earlier there is a sub-forum dedicated to the eRoll for more specific info:
I will be sure to check it out. It does look decent.

Regarding cases, I mainly mention cigarette packs since it's generally a known size and decently fits in your pocket, the size isn't important outside the fact it fits reasonably well in your pocket. Of course, more important than that is just having something to contain everything in one spot rather than having lose tanks and batteries floating around mingling with my keys and pens and such, scratching up my sunglasses, etc. Obviously it's more important with smaller bits that are easier to lose.
One thing, though that I keep noticing is that a lot of these PCCs seem to leave something to be desired; why do so many not seem to leave a bit of extra space for a second cartridge and/or battery just in case (if they made the case in that video wide enough for 1 or 2 extra slots, it's probably not be that much wider than my cell phone)?

^^^ I love mine, and may I suggest the eRoll (real leather) carrying case. You set the PCC into it, and now you also have a slot on right to hold your other battery, the other one is in the PCC charger.

Really classy looking, I was surpised it was so well made:
So, it's a case for your case?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread