Looking for tips to start building my own (RTA) 1.8ohm coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Hello,

I am using an nautilus mini with 1.8 Ohm BVC coils since june 2015 (i first started with evod battery and evod 2, then switched to nautilus mini in combination with kanger IPOW 2, and later bought me an extra nautilus mini and Innokin Itaste mvp 3.0). I like the more cool vape, i vape my nautilus bvc 1.8 ohm coils on +- 9 watt.

But now i want to start build my own coils on a deck, but still with a tank on it. I was thinking about a kangertech subtank mini V2. My question is: is it easy to use? and is it a good thing to go if you want 1.8 ohm coils like me? (cause sub ohm is realy nothing for me, i am a mouth to lung vaper, who likes +- 9watt; cooler vape)

If you can recommend me other RTA's? Or more helpfull tips are always welcome!

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)
But now i want to start build my own coils on a deck, but still with a tank on it. I was thinking about a kangertech subtank mini V2. My question is: is it easy to use? and is it a good thing to go if you want 1.8 ohm coils like me? (cause sub ohm is realy nothing for me, i am a mouth to lung vaper, who likes +- 9watt; cooler vape)
The Subtank Mini is a great tank to learn to build on and vape with.

Video review that includes a build using the RBA base. Kanger Subox Mini Kit

Use a coiling calculator to plan your builds: Steam Engine

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The Subtank Mini V2 is great to build on or use the factory coils. Simple and reliable. You can do low wattage MTL or blow some moderate clouds. They are now my main tank. You will probably find that you go to 10-12 watts and you will likely want a narrow bore drip tip instead of the one that comes with it.
I build 1.2 ohm 28 ga coils in my RBA and vape at 14 watts. A very slightly warm vape. Nice.

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

The Subtank Mini is a great tank to learn to build on and vape with.

Video review that includes a build using the RBA base. Kanger Subox Mini Kit

Use a coiling calculator to plan your builds: Steam Engine
Thank you, the site 'steam engine' you mentioned is defently gonna help me i think!

Yes, i think i wanna go for this kanger subtank (or the mini, or the mini v2) because there are lots of movies and sites that helps with how to do it with this particuraly tank.

But i did not found any video that talks about 1.8 ohm coils for this one, so i am not sure or it will be easy to do this. thanks for your reply!!

Reactions: Susan~S

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
The Subtank Mini V2 is great to build on or use the factory coils. Simple and reliable. You can do low wattage MTL or blow some moderate clouds. They are now my main tank. You will probably find that you go to 10-12 watts and you will likely want a narrow bore drip tip instead of the one that comes with it.
I build 1.2 ohm 28 ga coils in my RBA and vape at 14 watts. A very slightly warm vape. Nice.
thanks for your reply!

I tried the new 1.2 ohm coils for triton mini that fits on my nautilus mini, but i already found it to hot and to intense, so i think this will be the same with this tank. So really goin to try to find a tank for 1.8 ohm coils RTA.

I think this may be a good one for that?
Other suggestions are still welcome, and some tips for new builders are welcome aswell

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
For 1.8 ohm coil use 30 ga Kanthal 6-7 turns with a 2.4 mm diameter.
Will be a bit flimsy but work fine.
28 ga will be easier and stiffer but will take 10-11 turns.

Oh thank you Robert, this looks like really helpful information. I translated flimsy to dutch, and it means like thinner, more fine, is that harder to work with? and if i will do it with the 28 ga, 10-11 turns, will it not be a problem to fit in it?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Oh thank you Robert, this looks like really helpful information. I translated flimsy to dutch, and it means like thinner, more fine, is that harder to work with? and if i will do it with the 28 ga, 10-11 turns, will it not be a problem to fit in it?
I do 28 ga 2.4 mm diameter coils in my Subtank Mini V2 at 1.2 ohms and love them. I wick with cotton.
I think you will want to use a narrow bore drip tip in the STM. Works much better for low wattage vaping and cools the vape down. I do NOT like a hot vape.
With a narrow bore drip tip and my 1.2 coils in the RBA deck the vape is not hot at all at 14 watts.
The 1.2 ohm stock coils also vape nice at 14 watts with the narrow bore drip tip. You can also get 1.5 ohm coils for the STM, I have not tried those. I love my STM. I have a Lemo2 as well and like the STM much more than it.
Nicer vape and MUCH easier to build on the RBA deck.

Reactions: Skyrex

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
I do 28 ga 2.4 mm diameter coils in my Subtank Mini V2 at 1.2 ohms and love them. I wick with cotton.
I think you will want to use a narrow bore drip tip in the STM. Works much better for low wattage vaping and cools the vape down. I do NOT like a hot vape.
With a narrow bore drip tip and my 1.2 coils in the RBA deck the vape is not hot at all at 14 watts.
The 1.2 ohm stock coils also vape nice at 14 watts with the narrow bore drip tip. You can also get 1.5 ohm coils for the STM, I have not tried those. I love my STM. I have a Lemo2 as well and like the STM much more than it.
Nicer vape and MUCH easier to build on the RBA deck.
good information, because indeed a lemo 2 was also an option, but now i know from you (you own both) that subtank mini is more easy! thank you!

Skyrex

Aug 12, 2015
Leuven (Belgium)
Okay, i will go for this ST Mini then i think. Yes, i need to buy some more materials i guess, like a Ohm meter, a heating source for pre-burn the metal coilmaterial, a keramic pliers, some special cotton, a tool that looks like a nail (for the right diameter). People, i am thanking all of you for your advice and tips! (more tips are still welcome, but i got to get some dinner, i'll read it later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread