Looking to get my first vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickok

Feb 21, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to purchase my first setup and and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the Kanger topbox mini, joyetech evic vtc mini? Ive done some reading and the joyetech seem to be the favorite I'm wondering what makes it a better mod?

Also is something like the yihi sxmini m class worth double the price of other mods?

Reactions: BrotherBob

Hickok

Feb 21, 2017
Minneapolis
I have tried one a friend of mine has a Kbox but it's an older one. That's the only one I've used though so I don't have anything to compare it too. Maybe a cheap one would be the way to go though my main goal being quitting cigs.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It's not a bad idea to start out at the cheaper end until you know what you like and don't like, and then take a look at things like the yihi. I wouldn't go all the way down to the evod, though.

The Joyetech Vtwo mini (more recent version than the VTC mini) is a good place to start. It's not too expensive but has all the features you'll need to try things out. If you go with the evod it might not be flexible enough to do what you want, and that could wind up putting you off vaping. The main thing at this point is to make sure vaping is appealing enough to get you off the cigs.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hi and Welcome- I have not used either of your choices- but I have used Joyetech and Kanger products and I favor the Kanger Tanks- I like Kanger coils better than any Joyetech coils I have tried, the Joyetech coils seem to taste funny and burn out quickly and seem to be more expensive ! I have much better luck with Kanger, the SSOCC .5Ω coils I use in my Nebox seem to last thru many MLs of eliquid, I find them at a better price too!
Just my opinion- you choose whatever you think is best for you!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi and Welcome- I have not used either of your choices- but I have used Joyetech and Kanger products and I favor the Kanger Tanks- I like Kanger coils better than any Joyetech coils I have tried, the Joyetech coils seem to taste funny and burn out quickly and seem to be more expensive ! I have much better luck with Kanger, the SSOCC .5Ω coils I use in my Nebox seem to last thru many MLs of eliquid, I find them at a better price too!
Just my opinion- you choose whatever you think is best for you!

I love my VTwo mini, but I don't have the Joyetech tanks so I can't speak for them. I'm using Aspires - a Nautilus X and an Evo - although I have a Tobeco super tank mini due in today. It might be good if you could get the mod alone and get a tank separately.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Maybe the Pico Kit- That is very nice- small, fits in the palm of your hand and can use Aspire Atlantis coils in the Melo tank! You can usually find the Kit for under $35.00! You would need to buy at least 2- 18650 batteries and an external charger(would be best) but the Pico does have internal charge.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'm looking to purchase my first setup and and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the Kanger topbox mini, joyetech evic vtc mini? Ive done some reading and the joyetech seem to be the favorite I'm wondering what makes it a better mod?

This isn't the most important feature, but I've heard that the Kanger finish tends to flake off while the Joyetech's is more durable.

Another basic mod you might want to consider is the Pico. I have that as well and prefer the VTwo mini, but to each his own. The VTwo mini feels a little more solid and I like the way it sits in my hand better, but they're both perfectly good mods.

One other thing - if you don't already know your batteries, please make sure to research them here before you buy them. I'm sure someone will be along with links to Mooch's (the resident battery expert) reviews.

Hickok

Feb 21, 2017
Minneapolis
Welcome to ECF!

Quick question for ya: are you looking for something that will help you kick the habit (cigarettes) or have you already kicked the habit (with cigalikes or something similar) and are looking for your first actual mod?
Looking to stop smoking I'm still on the cigarettes. I was talking with my buddy who has the Kbox and his thoughts were get some middle of the road so I don't out grow it right away but I just don't know where to start. He tried to help but he's been vaping for like 4 years and makes all his own stuff and I didn't understand half of what he said.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
I love my VTwo mini, but I don't have the Joyetech tanks so I can't speak for them. I'm using Aspires - a Nautilus X and an Evo - although I have a Tobeco super tank mini due in today. It might be good if you could get the mod alone and get a tank separately.
I just got a Tobeco super mini tank last week- I had the worst time trying to get that tank apart- does come with an allen wrench to help! I lubed up the Oring, because I am hoping that it will come apart easier in the future! How else would you change the coil? One of my favorite tanks for vaping and I am still glad I bought it! I actually like the Tobeco coils too! I have the EVO too and broke the glass trying to change to the bigger 4ml size! Those 2 tanks are similar as the air vent spins and you have to wedge a screwdriver to get it apart! Both of my tanks were on very tightly!

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have an evic mini and love it. It has temp control if you would like to try that out, watts, bypass (basically you are just running battery voltage, internal charging, interchangeable 18650 and it's tough as nails. You can pick them up on eBay with a tank for less than $50 although don't go for the Tron tank. I started when the best thing you could get was an ego kit and if I had to start back there I don't think I would stay with it. I would not buy an evod either there is just to many better options out there for the money.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Maybe the Pico Kit- That is very nice- small, fits in the palm of your hand and can use Aspire Atlantis coils in the Melo tank! You can usually find the Kit for under $35.00!

Regarding tanks, the Melo 3, the Atlantis Evo and the Super tank mini are all versatile options. They all can use the Atlantis and Triton coils as well as their own, and there's a Triton 1.8 ohm coil so you can try sub-ohming and not sub-ohming with the same tank.

I just got a Tobeco super mini tank last week- I had the worst time trying to get that tank apart- does come with an allen wrench to help! I lubed up the Oring, because I am hoping that it will come apart easier in the future! How else would you change the coil? One of my favorite tanks for vaping and I am still glad I bought it! I actually like the Tobeco coils too! I have the EVO too and broke the glass trying to change to the bigger 4ml size! Those 2 tanks are similar as the air vent spins and you have to wedge a screwdriver to get it apart! Both of my tanks were on very tightly!

I've heard about the joys of opening the super tank at first, and I am not looking forward to it! It's supposed to be easier after; apparently the manufacturer cranks them down too hard.

The Evo was a challenge too. I seriously considered smashing the glass and just using the replacement at first! Fortunately, I got it off without resorting to extreme measures. I haven't had a problem since I've been using it.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Regarding tanks, the Melo 3, the Atlantis Evo and the Super tank mini are all versatile options. They all can use the Atlantis and Triton coils as well as their own, and there's a Triton 1.8 ohm coil so you can try sub-ohming and not sub-ohming with the same tank.

I've heard about the joys of opening the super tank at first, and I am not looking forward to it! It's supposed to be easier after; apparently the manufacturer cranks them down too hard.

The Evo was a challenge too. I seriously considered smashing the glass and just using the replacement at first! Fortunately, I got it off without resorting to extreme measures. I haven't had a problem since I've been using it.
I had to go to You Tube to figure it out! Should have watched that when I took my Evo apart I didn't fare so well , but broke the 2ml tank which is OK too small for me! I hear that once you have gotten the tank apart it is supposed to be easier after the initial removal! I love the vape of both tanks, some of my favorites!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I had to go to You Tube to figure it out! Should have watched that when I took my Evo apart I didn't fare so well , but broke the 2ml tank which is OK too small for me! I hear that once you have gotten the tank apart it is supposed to be easier after the initial removal! I love the vape of both tanks, some of my favorites!

I find the Evo leaks after a while with some coils, but other than that I do like it. I've had no problems taking it apart since the initial struggle.

I heard that putting the super tank in the freezer for a few minutes can help. I guess I'm lucky - given my location and the date I won't have to wait for it in the freezer, I'll just get to skip my normal step of waiting for my vapemail to warm up before I try it!

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
If you want an excellent alternative to cigarettes, there are pod mods (like the Juul and Von Erl My) that come with pre filled pods you just attach and vape. I know quite a few people that stopped smoking after only a couple days with a Juul, though your experience may be different. If you can stop by a local vape shop, it would be your best bet. If not, I humbly suggest a pod mod...or an all in one mod perhaps? Eleaf Istick Pico kit is used by many 'round these parts and is usually highly recommended.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
G
Hey everyone!

Also is something like the yihi sxmini m class worth double the price of other mods?
Get the VTCmini,, proven track record. I use mine as a Beater,,can't kill it.

The Yihi sx mini is pricey for 2 reasons,
Superior engineering/ Chip.
What the Market will bear..

Reactions: Hickok
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread