Looking to Rebuild first tank/coil help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telmos

May 11, 2016
I want to start with rebuildable and want to get the Griffon 22mm to start. Along with ordering that, I want to get a set of wires and organic cotton to have it ready for rebuilt time.

I want to build a resistance of about 1.5 Ohms, but what size wire to start with? I'm guessing I should get the Kanthol A1 wire since its most popular, but what thickness would make sense for my Ohms target? On steam engine guide it says I can pretty much use any diameter, but would just need to do more wraps.

1) Is it better to get a thicker diameter wire and have less wraps or a thinner diameter with more wraps? Are their cons benefits or will result be exactly the same?
2) I found that the wire from pure atomist seems popular on amazon. Are there specific parameters to looks out for to make sure its quality wire? Any good stores/vendors to check out for wires and cotton?

Thanks!

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
I want to start with rebuildable and want to get the Griffon 22mm to start. Along with ordering that, I want to get a set of wires and organic cotton to have it ready for rebuilt time.

I want to build a resistance of about 1.5 Ohms, but what size wire to start with? I'm guessing I should get the Kanthol A1 wire since its most popular, but what thickness would make sense for my Ohms target? On steam engine guide it says I can pretty much use any diameter, but would just need to do more wraps.

1) Is it better to get a thicker diameter wire and have less wraps or a thinner diameter with more wraps? Are their cons benefits or will result be exactly the same?
2) I found that the wire from pure atomist seems popular on amazon. Are there specific parameters to looks out for to make sure its quality wire? Any good stores/vendors to check out for wires and cotton?

Thanks!

I use 28 gauge Kanthal with 5-6 wraps on a 2.5mm coiling jig. This give me a coil somewhere in the range of 1.5 to 1.6 ohms. I get my wire from Temco (TEMCo Industrial Power Supply) good prices and fast shipping.

Telmos

May 11, 2016
I use 28 gauge Kanthal with 5-6 wraps on a 2.5mm coiling jig. This give me a coil somewhere in the range of 1.5 to 1.6 ohms. I get my wire from Temco (TEMCo Industrial Power Supply) good prices and fast shipping.

Cool, thanks! I found the 28 gauge you mentioned, but it says the wire diameter is 0.0126. However, when I type in the AWG in steam-engine, it says the diameter of 28 gauge should be 0.321 and that the number of wraps to get 1.5 Ohms is about 13. What am I missing or not understanding here?

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
I generally dont mess with changing the wire diameters on steam engine.
to me, .013 to .32 isnt a big difference. Because thats a decimal of 1mm. (and it could just be a mislabel on temco's website)

The gauge of the wire is all I look at. WHen Im figuring out coils, 28ga from temco is the same as 28ga from lightning vapes as far as Im concerned.

But you may want to mess with changing your coil ID. If you are getting 13 wraps with 28ga kanthal, then Im seeing a ID of about 1.2mm. Seems awfully tiny to me.
On my griffin I shoot for 2.5mm coils with either a 3/32 or a 7/64 drill bit.

For wires, always nice to have a variety on hand to switch it up if you want.
28ga is a nice starting point. Can do a wide variety of builds with that.
When I started out, I had 24, 26, 28, 30, 32 gauges on hand. 30 and 32 I used less often, and only for wrapping twisted and clapton coils. 24 was for experimenting with other builds and high power draws.
26 and 28 are my most used wire. All a mix of Lightning Vapes, Temco, and MKWS from fasttech

Back to your original questions

1- Depends on what you are shooting for. General stance is More Wraps = More Flavor = More power to run. You need to experiment to find what works for you. Mess around with changing your wires on steam engine and watch the box to the upper right. The higher the heat capacity is, the more power is needed to heat the coil up. Experiment with changing the wire, resistance, heatflux to see what you come up with and then try wrapping it.

2- I order Temco from amazon and Temco's site. And I order other wire from Lightning Vapes in the past. Both been great for me.
As far as cotton.... many choices.
If you buy cotton balls in your local pharmacy, you need to make sure its the organic stuff.
Better choice is http://www.amazon.com/MUJI-Makeup-F...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
Or you can buy Rayon when you are feeling adventurous
CelluCotton Beauty Coil 10ft.
I got the 3lb box.... its more than enough to last the rest of my life.

Reactions: Telmos

Travbud1

Feb 8, 2016
CA
Cool, thanks! I found the 28 gauge you mentioned, but it says the wire diameter is 0.0126. However, when I type in the AWG in steam-engine, it says the diameter of 28 gauge should be 0.321 and that the number of wraps to get 1.5 Ohms is about 13. What am I missing or not understanding here?

0.32 millimeters=0.0126 inches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread