Not open for further replies.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
You got my head spinning on that one. I'm not sure what your asking. But if you mean calculating your final nicotine strength, flavor wise it wont matter what strength you start with as long as the end result is the strength you want to vape. I think your over thinking this whole thing. Just get the ejuice me up calculator and use that.

http://ejuice.breaktru.com/

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Start at ECexpress and start with the hangsen flavors. There the prefered flavor of seasoned mixers including myself. They are very good and very easy to work with.
HS has some very good flavors, no doubt. All are clean & easy to mix...and since most work at 5-7%, they're easy. But "the preferered flavor of seasoned mixers"? I think not. Forum/internet posts & recipe compilations clearly show a different picture!

I've been DIYing fairly intensely since April (pretty much like dannyv45). I certainly do not consider myself a 'seasoned mixer'; I think that moniker goes to folks with years worth of mixing-mileage...but of course, like taste, that's totally subjective.

TFA is a great place to start. Their 4 ml vial are only 1.50$.
AGREED! Just keep in mind that you'll need to do some checking on percentages. TFA's biggest challenge is finding the sweet spot, since that ranges from 1 drop per 10 ml (in rare cases) up to the 15% range. And if you can snag them in stock at Wizard Labs, they're only $1.49 for 8 ml!

Stay away from TFA (The flavorers apprentice) if perfumey/chemical taste is a problem for you. Those flavorings are notorious for that and are the hardest to get right and require very long steeping time. The best bet is to go with the hangsen flavors as I mentioned previously and leave the TFA flavors alone until you've got some experience working with flavors.

Say WHAT? :blink:

There's no brand of flavorings that is exempt from an occasional loser with "perfumey/chemical" taste - and no brand where 100% of their flavors need no steeping. There are several of the HS tobaccos that don't 'settle in' for a month (as well as many of TFA's tobaccos).

Imo, there are quite a few TFA flavors that are absolutely essential for a good mixer to have on hand. I've never found any of them to be perfumey/chemically - or to need particularly long steep times. Off the top of my head, Dulce de Leche, Vanilla Swirl, Sweet Cream & French Vanilla come to mind (plus Marshmallow and/or Toasted Marshmallow - or both!).

My favorite flavors I have had so far are Doc Bailey's Kaktus Kooler, Highbrow Dark chocolate mint, Roar Hawaii Wai, Vapor Chef Coolcumber Melon, unknown brand Vanilla Bean decadence and unknown brand purple haze, a nice cinnamon with some grape-ish flavors lingering...it leaves your mouth feeling wet and juicy!

I also like many simple fruits, simple sweets, and any minty-fresh vape.

I have not yet had the opportunity to explore very complex juices or anything...but I am VERY interested in a good RY4, some cinnamon raisin bread, banana nut bread, a really good black tea with cream and sugar like earl gray, english breakfast or a chai tea. and also a good coffee, with or without cream, but I have tried one called raging "betch" that I found to be disgusting...however Kona Delight was yummy

Based on what you seem to enjoy, here's a few TFA recommendations:
--Grape Juice (just like Welch's)
--Ripe Banana (it is!)
--Blueberry Wild (very realistic, but FA's Bilberry wins by a nose for realistic blueberry)
--Juicy Peach (very realistic fresh peach, but Hangsen's Juicy Peach may have a very slight edge - subjective)
--Strawberry Ripe (very realistic)
--Raspberry Sweet (also very realistic, but a bit sweeter...add a drop to watermelon and ZINGO. )
--Watermelon (yep, it's a bit 'candyish' but not chemical-perfumey)
--Coconut Extra
--Cinnamon Natural (for real cinnamon taste)
--Cinnamon Red Hot (like the candy)
--Banana Nut Bread (haven't tried it, but everybody seems to rave)
--Earl Grey Tea (ditto above)
--Chai (I'm a Chai snob, so I found this a bit "weak", but others seem to really like it)
--Caramel Cappuccino (I'm an even worse Coffee-snob, and I'm convinced the only route to a great coffee vape is our own extractions...but this is one I can 'make do with' quite nicely - most really enjoy it - particularly with added creams & caramels. Use at 1 drop per 10 ml, not 1%, ONE DROP! :)
--Caramel Candy (kinda-like a blend of Kraft caramel & Werthers)
--the mints - spearmint, peppermint, wintergreen - all good
--Mint Candy (!!!) just like the little 'pastel pillow mints'
--TFA Pineapple? YUCK (most agree). Hangsen's Pineapple is the only one we'll use (like Dole right out of the can)
--French Vanilla
--Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
(I'm not too fond of TFA's "chocolates", but like most DIYers, we're not too fond of ANY chocolates) However, folks do mix them quite frequently in their concoctions & report coming up with decent vapes.

Be sure to check out these threads for TFA tips & recipes!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/336110-flavor-apprentice-flavoring-thread.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/343181-tpa-tfa-recipes-only.html

Last edited:

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
Newbies asking loaded questions on ECF! Imagine that. I've only been at this awhile but am satisfied with a lot of my juices. Turns out it's more complicated and takes time to judge flavors for yourself. There are a lot of vendors and you will spend some money. In the long run you will save some money and you might toss a few batches. Everyone has a strong opinion so grain of salt and research and don't spend a lot of money at a time. My average expenditure on a batch of flavor is probably 20$. There are more expensive one's like Hangsens or the Super Concentrates so I agree that TFA is great for newbs. It was/is for me. If you don't like a flavor you are out 1.40$ not 6.99$.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Newbies asking loaded questions on ECF! Imagine that. I've only been at this awhile but am satisfied with a lot of my juices. Turns out it's more complicated and takes time to judge flavors for yourself. There are a lot of vendors and you will spend some money. In the long run you will save some money and you might toss a few batches. Everyone has a strong opinion so grain of salt and research and don't spend a lot of money at a time. My average expenditure on a batch of flavor is probably 20$. There are more expensive one's like Hangsens or the Super Concentrates so I agree that TFA is great for newbs. It was/is for me. If you don't like a flavor you are out 1.40$ not 6.99$.

Lol, it's not the newbies asking loaded questions that gets me - it's the loaded answers! 8-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread