Looking to step up in to sub ohming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
My little rant may have come off more assaulting/offensive than intended. If so - sorry about that! :toast:

Lots of ECF members has lots of experience with high-VG liquids. Me not being one of them. I'm sure Someone™ will get you sorted.

No worries Watt Wick. I get your drift though

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    ahhh good point. I have eleaf iStick 30w with an Aspire nautilus on the top. In theory i could put a sub ohm tank on it and whack up the voltage?

Nautilus tanks are not known for wicking high VG juices well. A Kanger Subtank Mini is a decent upgrade from the Nautilus and could be fired with a iStick 30w. An added bonus is the Subtank Mini's stock coils have much larger juice holes which wick thicker (IE: higher VG) juices better.

It is also a good "beginner" RTA that you can wind your own coils on the included RBA.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    I'm not really fussed about big clouds. I'd like to be able to see the TV on the other side of the room :)

I'd just like to use VG juice
    Then get a tiny dripping atomizer for cheap, build it at a resistance you prefer and vape it at the same power you're used to.

VG doesn't need more power. It only needs good wicking.

This will get you going with some 30 gauge kanthal...

SMOKTech RDA Rebuildable Atomizer

Tapatyped

Reactions: herb and MMW

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    I should be ok then. Even when smoking i don't think i took 3 drags a minute.

It seems i have the option of getting V1 SSOCC 0.5 ohm or the Vertical OCC 0.5 ohm coils. I've no idea what the difference between the two are and which would be better for me though
    SS is for temp control. If you're not interested in learning that yet, the OCC coils would be the better choice.

Tapatyped

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Well i can't find a UK online vape store that stocks a Melo tank but there are plenty that have the Kanger Subtank Mini in stock. So i'm steering towards the Kanger at the moment.

Has anyone got any advice on what coils would be best suited to my iStick 30w? will it handle 0.5?
    The Kanger .5 coil has a recommended wattage range of about 15 to 50 watts. Should vape well on 30 watts max with 50/50 juice. The Kbox mini is nice and goes up to 50 watts. Just get the set? Around $60 for the Kbox mini and the subtank mini in the US. I recommend the LG HG2 battery for the Kbox mini set.

The 1.2 ohm Kanger coil vapes nice at around 13-15 watts.

I mostly vape mine with a 28 ga 1 ohm coil in the RBA deck at 14 watts.
    The RBA deck comes with 2 ~30 watt .6 ohm prewound coils.

another step up mod to consider is the VTC Mini. 75 watts and TC too. around $40-50 in the US.

Reactions: beckdg

Vapeing baker

Aug 2, 2015
    Thinking outside the box but I've recently started useing a squonker mod mainly for flavour but I also have problems with pg so I vape high vg liquids you can build any coil you like high or low ohms and you won't have any issues with high vg liquids not wicking basically if you could drip it you can vape it.maybe an idea.Sammy.

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
    Then get a tiny dripping atomizer for cheap, build it at a resistance you prefer and vape it at the same power you're used to.

VG doesn't need more power. It only needs good wicking.

This will get you going with some 30 gauge kanthal...

SMOKTech RDA Rebuildable Atomizer

Tapatyped

Excellent point and very true , most people seem surprised when their juice consumption goes through the roof with sub ohm tanks lol.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    The Kanger .5 coil has a recommended wattage range of about 15 to 50 watts. Should vape well on 30 watts max with 50/50 juice. The Kbox mini is nice and goes up to 50 watts. Just get the set? Around $60 for the Kbox mini and the subtank mini in the US. I recommend the LG HG2 battery for the Kbox mini set.

The 1.2 ohm Kanger coil vapes nice at around 13-15 watts.

I mostly vape mine with a 28 ga 1 ohm coil in the RBA deck at 14 watts.
    The RBA deck comes with 2 ~30 watt .6 ohm prewound coils.

another step up mod to consider is the VTC Mini. 75 watts and TC too. around $40-50 in the US.

Thanks again for the info

I thought about getting the set but i'm a careful person at heart and this is still an experiment really. So i decided to get just the tank first and see how i get on with it on what i have. If all goes well and i like the VG juices i'll definitely look in to a more advanced set up soon.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thinking outside the box but I've recently started useing a squonker mod mainly for flavour but I also have problems with pg so I vape high vg liquids you can build any coil you like high or low ohms and you won't have any issues with high vg liquids not wicking basically if you could drip it you can vape it.maybe an idea.Sammy.

There seems to be more people out there than i thought who have problems with PG. I'm not looking to take big direct lung hits and blow big clouds all the time. I'd like to carry on with mouth to lung hits with the option to make some big clouds if i want to show off to the uneducated ;)

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Ok i've took the plunge and ordered a Kanger Subtank Mini V2 with five extra vertical OCC 0.5 ohm coils for £23.98 and free delivery.

Just need to go to the local vape shop and pick up some max VG juice now :headbang:

Thanks to everyone for their help, it's very much appreciated! :thumb:

Hi mate,
    If you have juice you like and just want to add some VG... duck into your local Boots/pharmacy and grab some VG.
    Value Glycerin BP 200ml | 100pc Vegetable sourced glycerin - Boots

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread