Looking to upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-23

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2015
Albuquerque, NM
So I've been using a istick 30watt with a lemo drop. I usually have my coils build anywhere from 1.6 - 2.0. Still trying to get the hang of building my coils. I usually have it at 14.0 - 16.6 watts. I've been eyeing a provari for awhile now. I'm just kinda stuck since the P3 only goes up to 20 watts. I'm not looking in to sub ohms builds at all.

My question is... Do any of you use more then 20 watts on the regular? In my head I don't think I'd ever need more then 20 but the more mods I see that are capable of 200w, the more discouraged I get. I know everyone's preference varies drastically but I'd like to see what you all do just to get a clearer picture in my head.

Thanks!
Geneva[emoji223]

Lucas1979

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Australia
I have several devices ones that only go to 20 whats and some that go to 50 and 2 that go to 75 I sub ohm and also run 1.7 ohm coils so it just depend on what u want I find it's good to have more power than u need safety thing for me but I have a question for u how do u run 14 watts on a 1.6 to 2.0 ohm build isn't burnt

Reactions: x-23

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
The actual power needed is more closely related to the size of the coil, not its resistance. A small coil or a coil wound with smaller gauge wire will need less power. When coils are wound with 28 gauge or larger wire, and wound on rods that are 2.5mm and higher in diameter, then the amount of power needed increases.

At one time I believed that 15 watts was enough, with 20 watts being a dream. Then I moved away from factory coils and started rebuilding, eventually moving to RTAs. I found out quickly that those low watt mods just weren't enough.

With the number of devices nowadays that operate in the 20 to 60 watt range, it would probably pay you to at least try one out before dropping over 200 bucks on something that you may outgrow. You may also want to experiment with temperature control someday, which the Provari just won't do.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It also depends on how you vape. Folks that mouth to lung inhale tend to like lower wattage than those that direct lung inhale.

Funny, when I started vaping 10 watts was considered insane. ;)

This year my efforts have been to learn how to get the most possible out of the lowest wattage possible, because I fear that taxation & regulation is going to force it on us eventually.

I also think that eventually TC will work just fine in the -10 watt range. Manufacturers just need the incentive to do it.
    Actually I use TC all the time, even tho' I don't own a single PV that has TC. You can have a PV that does the TC for you, or you can learn how to do it for yourself.

Last edited:

x-23

ECF Veteran
    Jun 3, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    It also depends on how you vape. Folks that mouth to lung inhale tend to like lower wattage than those that direct lung inhale.

Funny, when I started vaping 10 watts was considered insane. ;)

This year my efforts have been to learn how to get the most possible out of the lowest wattage possible, because I fear that taxation & regulation is going to force it on us eventually.

I also think that eventually TC will work just fine in the -10 watt range. Manufacturers just need the incentive to do it.
    Actually I use TC all the time, even tho' I don't own a single PV that has TC. You can have a PV that does the TC for you, or you can learn how to do it for yourself.
    Well I do a lung hit, but at the end I will do a mouth to lung hit with like a 'french inhale.' So I think that counts as both... Right? I've seen a bunch of people always talk about that and I wonder if I should just go by a lung hit since that's like 80% of my inhale.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Well sure not to many new <30W devices are being introduced. The good news is that many of the higher power devices (depending on chip set used) will regulate power down to 10w or even 5W of power so don't actually NEED to be operated as a high power device.

The added 'bonus' of the higher power devices is the battery options. While most of the lower power iSticks are 2200mAh the TC40 has 2600mAh. The Evic has 5000mAh. Many of the ~50-75W devices have a replaceable 18650 and many of the +100W devices sport TWO replaceable 18650's.

In my own personal usage a single 18650 will need to be replaced 1-2x on a typical Saturday or Sunday (where I can vape all I want to all day) and my dual 18650 device will last me all day long.

The devices used in the examples are a SXminiM and IPV4S with the "joules" set to ~20J and temperature set to ~380F.

TFL!

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2013
    Chatfield, MN, USA
    I am MTL vapor, like a cooler vape, I use 01.2 to 2.3 coils at 6 to 8 watts, Also have a sub tank and vape it with a 1.2 coil at 16 watts. I have 2.5 and P3s. I love them.
    If you are not a cloud blower you should be fine with a P3. You might want to read My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices... Part 1... | E-Cigarette Forum and rusirius's blog | E-Cigarette Forum Then make your choice on what you want and need. Also come over to ProVape | E-Cigarette Forum and talk to the Group over there. We all have an opinion and try to suggest works for us, but it might not be for you.
    This is my :2c: worth.
    Good luck
    Tim

KentA

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 5, 2015
    Adirondack Mountains
    So I've been using a istick 30watt with a lemo drop. I usually have my coils build anywhere from 1.6 - 2.0. Still trying to get the hang of building my coils. I usually have it at 14.0 - 16.6 watts.

I've never reached the maximum 20 watts on my P3. I don't think you will either as long as you build your atomizer for the mod it's mounted on.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread