Looks like Georgia is gonna be Indiana'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Just did the please oppose HB 907 to my state reps via CASSA. And the please support HR 2058 to my US reps (Which I should have done months ago...) Already got a very short acknowledgment back from Tom Graves who is a co-sponsor. His staff are on the ball! Or just have a reply bot:( Both were custom and I deleted most of the boilerplate since I'm sure they will receive many copies of it virtually unchanged.

Still have not got a reply to my cost to join inquiry at Georgia Smoke Free.

Last edited:

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
I've sent out my letters to Sen. William Ligon and Rep.Jeff Jones. I'm shocked to find out that the sponsors of this bill are all Republicans. With a majority Republican legislature and governor I thought our state would be one of the last to jump in on this and then only after a heavy push by Democrats.

The bill is, as another said of the Indiana legislation, "the most anti-conservative thing our legislature could do. It's anti-freedom, pro-big government, anti-small business, pro-high regulations and in the end, anti-public health." Of course, party ideals don't matter when money's doing the talking.

CASAA called this "the most destructive, most poorly written piece of legislation we will see this year." For us, yes. But for it's true benefactors it's a finely crafted masterpiece with every base covered. No slouches concocting this gem of a law.

I have little faith this bill will be opposed considering it's sponsors. If/when it passes in Georgia, y'all better get ready... its about to hit the fan! Predicting a fast snowball effect across the country. To say it sickens me is putting it mildly. Guess I'll scrape up some funds and buy some more nicotine. :(

Oh, and don't think I won't be watching who does what up there in the Georgia General Assembly.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ga is one of the lower spenders of the tobacco tax settlement money on smoking prevention. Like many states, the money is funneled into other projects.

Article from 2014.
Following the money in fight against tobacco

This fiscal year, Georgia will receive $347 million in tobacco settlement funds and the state’s tobacco taxes, according to a recent report released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

But the state will spend less than 1 percent of that amount on programs to prevent smoking, the report said.

Georgia ranks 43rd in the country in the amount it spends on tobacco prevention –– $2.2 million –– as compared to the funding level recommended by the CDC, according to the report.

Still, Georgia spending on tobacco prevention is not dramatically low relative to other states.

The states will collect $25 billion in revenue from the tobacco settlement and tobacco taxes in fiscal 2014, but will spend only 1.9 percent of it –– $481.2 million –– on tobacco prevention programs, the report said.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have little faith this bill will be opposed considering it's sponsors. If/when it passes in Georgia, y'all better get ready... its about to hit the fan! Predicting a fast snowball effect across the country. To say it sickens me is putting it mildly. Guess I'll scrape up some funds and buy some more nicotine.

I'm down so low in nic content in my juice that I could just go to zero and only miss the little bit of throat hit from my 3mg vape. What I resent is that our nrepresentatives feel the need to tell us what we can and can't consume. Even more, it irks me that they use the save the children aspect to pass a bill when it's already illegal for children to buy vaping products.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
I'm down so low in nic content in my juice that I could just go to zero and only miss the little bit of throat hit from my 3mg vape. What I resent is that our nrepresentatives feel the need to tell us what we can and can't consume. Even more, it irks me that they use the save the children aspect to pass a bill when it's already illegal for children to buy vaping products.
By the time my nic base is gone, I should be there too. What irks me is they think we have so few brain cells that we would buy this. Most all unnecessary/redundant legislation is enacted to further hidden agenda. I naively thought our government was a little better than this. Not much, but I did give them more credit than they deserved.

On the other hand, many are buying it and that's the sickening part.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
On the other hand, many are buying it and that's the sickening part.

This is the real problem ... most don't care what happens to smokers, reformed or otherwise, outside of their immediate families, so they don't bother looking any further than the lies that are fed to them. It doesn't affect them so they aren't at all concerned that this is nothing more than a smokescreen designed to protect the funds provided by the TSA.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Hey you can Hype this into Anything you want.

And if Jumping on the FUD Train that doing DIY for personal use will someday be a Felony (LOL) is what Turns you On... Go for it.

It makes for Good Internet Drama.

Dunno Z, what's worse whether vaping being perceived a felony (or some lesser infraction), criminalization for mere possession (by ingress to a prohibited public "safe zone") as in FL or the degradation of being regarded for decades as despicable criminals for contaminating their environment with passive smoke. How it's chosen to be viewed don't amount to a hill of beans but that they have the gumption to choose arbitrarily to subject us to such…reeks so bad it could knock a buzzard of a sh!!!twagon, to quote George.

What matters is we have government officials who have the unmitigated gall to presume themselves not bound by constitutional imperatives. No regard for our rights of property or due process. They're willfully stupid and project that ignorance upon us. Now we can spend a great deal of time understanding these proposals and their implications and I can't deny there is value in that. But I don't see anywhere as near as much discussion as I feel there should be about what exactly we are protecting.

I tried to focus the convo on what the issue is IMO (statutory authority) as a starting point on the FL HB1143 thread. Certainly we can dissect every article of legislation everywhere but is there in GA or anywhere a lawful authority to effectively issue any prohibition with or without criminalization? That would be my question. From my perspective all of the bs from gov is an abridgment of the 5th and 14th which seems suddenly fashionable in this generation. We can sue the State of Georgia for a ban on vibrators but we are powerless to defend our right of independent choice regarding our health and survival or related commerce.

If we don't know and can't describe how we're being harmed, honestly what the hecks the problem? Well, that is. They're setting the discussion by legislation. They own the field of battle.

Good luck all.

:)

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Dunno Z, what's worse whether vaping being perceived a felony (or some lesser infraction), criminalization for mere possession (by ingress to a prohibited public "safe zone") as in FL or the degradation of being regarded for decades as despicable criminals for contaminating their environment with passive smoke. How it's chosen to be viewed don't amount to a hill of beans but that they have the gumption to choose arbitrarily to subject us to such…reeks so bad it could knock a buzzard of a sh!!!twagon, to quote George.

What matters is we have government officials who have the unmitigated gall to presume themselves not bound by constitutional imperatives. No regard for our rights of property or due process. They're willfully stupid and project that ignorance upon us. Now we can spend a great deal of time understanding these proposals and their implications and I can't deny there is value in that. But I don't see anywhere as near as much discussion as I feel there should be about what exactly we are protecting.

I tried to focus the convo on what the issue is IMO (statutory authority) as a starting point on the FL HB1143 thread. Certainly we can dissect every article of legislation everywhere but is there in GA or anywhere a lawful authority to effectively issue any prohibition with or without criminalization? That would be my question. From my perspective all of the bs from gov is an abridgment of the 5th and 14th which seems suddenly fashionable in this generation. We can sue the State of Georgia for a ban on vibrators but we are powerless to defend our right of independent choice regarding our health and survival or related commerce.

If we don't know and can't describe how we're being harmed, honestly what the hecks the problem? Well, that is. They're setting the discussion by legislation. They own the field of battle.

Good luck all.

:)

People can shift the Conversation to Philosophical Debates over Rights which are not clearly Defined under the Constitution. Or project what a Bill actually says into any Higher Levels such as DIY will be Felony. Hey that’s Great. Like I said, it makes for Good Theater.

Just not sure how it Does Anything to Stop (or even Slow Down) a piece of Legislation like GA HB907 from working its way thru the GA House and Senate?

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
People can shift the Conversation to Philosophical Debates over Rights which are not clearly Defined under the Constitution. Or project what a Bill actually says into any Higher Levels such as DIY will be Felony. Hey that’s Great. Like I said, it makes for Good Theater.

Just not sure how it Does Anything to Stop (or even Slow Down) a piece of Legislation like GA HB907 from working its way thru the GA House and Senate?
And who appointed you Official Thread Censor, tasked with disrupting any conversations you deem unsuitable?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I think I see your perspective Z. Mine is a philosophical argument. Please correct me if I missed the mark. Thanks for your answer.

With all due respect to your objection as to what does it do? — I think I take a counterpoint view that a focus on legal foundation is utterly practical and precisely as it is, inevitable. At some point if we are to keep vaping we're going to have to go after protecting our personal interest as effectively as focusing on the minutae of how they plan on screwing us by analyzing their legislative hysterics.

Would be wonderful if every vape enterprise in America had come together to organize challenges with some forethought of the real predictable drama which is the preceding, and much less our (vaper's) reactions to this idiocy. Or that advocacy organizations had received the adequate financial support necessary for a state level consumer resistance by now. It seems the reality in the minds of business and community have never effectively crystalized as to the extent of the threat. In my estimation because it hasn't really been personalized by most vapers or they would have had it. If I am right, not the necessary emphasis has been really devoted to educate the community as to the unavoidable importance of individual action on the personal right…and the manner for it. Right now and up 'till now it seems our survival is and has been all about the industry.

It's not Z. A marketplace is a collaboration of individuals. And as such I will not submit to seeing any government again put a bulls eye on my forehead. Or quietly allow the legitimization of ex-smokers again being discredited and brandished as an inferior caste of Americans. I could, quit vaping this minute. The failure here as I see it is that this community (of vaping) by and large is not involved. And in increasing numbers less so. That's why I'm here. I stand up because the numbers matter if we're to have a voice. And that voice must have a direction and a purpose to be effective. Have we been so far? At all as individuals? Has that at all been the focus?

Lastly, our "rights" Z are very clearly defined. Unfortunately, that's what's wrong with this picture. The increasing perception that they are not. It's the last thing we talk about for the drama. Well I'll fight against the politics of resignation as adamantly as gov repression of vapers because the former is the very pathology instilled in too many of us by the latter.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
No One. You're Free to Talk about Anything you Want.
Then why disrupt someone's conversation insisting "how to stop the legislation" is the only suitable topic? If you don't like a particular conversation you are free to stay out of it and let the other member(s) talk in peace.

Reactions: DaveP

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think I see your perspective Z. Mine is a philosophical argument. Please correct me if I missed the mark. Thanks for your answer.

With all due respect to your objection as to what does it do? — I think I take a counterpoint view that a focus on legal foundation is utterly practical and precisely as it is, inevitable. At some point if we are to keep vaping we're going to have to go after protecting our personal interest as effectively as focusing on the minutae of how they plan on screwing us by analyzing their legislative hysterics.

Would be wonderful if every vape enterprise in America had come together to organize challenges with some forethought of the real predictable drama which is the preceding, and much less our (vaper's) reactions to this idiocy. Or that advocacy organizations had received the adequate financial support necessary for a state level consumer resistance by now. It seems the reality in the minds of business and community have never effectively crystalized as to the extent of the threat. In my estimation because it hasn't really been personalized by most vapers or they would have had it. If I am right, not the necessary emphasis has been really devoted to educate the community as to the unavoidable importance of individual action on the personal right…and the manner for it. Right now and up 'till now it seems our survival is and has been all about the industry.

It's not Z. A marketplace is a collaboration of individuals. And as such I will not submit to seeing any government again put a bulls eye on my forehead. Or quietly allow the legitimization of ex-smokers again being discredited and brandished as an inferior caste of Americans. I could, quit vaping this minute. The failure here as I see it is that this community (of vaping) by in large is not involved. And in increasing numbers less so. That's why I'm here. I stand up because the numbers matter if we're to have a voice. And that voice must have a direction and a purpose to be effective. Have we been so far? At all as individuals? Has that at all been the focus?

Lastly, our "rights" Z are very clearly defined. Unfortunately, that's what's wrong with this picture. The increasing perception that they are not. It's the last thing we talk about for the drama. Well I'll fight against the politics of resignation as adamantly as gov repression of vapers because the former is the very pathology instilled in too many of us by the latter.

Good luck. :)

Hey Don't get Me Wrong Mac.

I Love Philosophical Debates. I think the World would be a Pretty Boring place without out them. And without People who can Respectfully Disagree with others.

It would be Nice to have Two Threads for something like GA HB907. One can Delve into All the things that you Mentioned. And the tone can go Off Topic or in any Direction the Participants choose to take it.

And One Thread where people can Give Information about the Current state, where the Bill is going Next, and efforts to Stop or Amend this Legislation.

This GA Bill is Real. And can have Devastation Effects on the e-Cigarette Market not just for GA.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Then why disrupt someone's conversation insisting "how to stop the legislation" is the only suitable topic? If you don't like a particular conversation you are free to stay out of it and let the other member(s) talk in peace.

Why don't you send me a PM and I'll give you My Thoughts on things.

Because Going Back-n-Forth with you Isn't Contributing much to this Thread.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Meanwhile back at the ranch:

Bill FunderburktoGeorgia Smoke Free Association
2 hrs
·

Chairman Setzler just announced that HB907 has been modified from 22 pages down to 2 and a half. Georgialink has been awesome behind the scenes!!! AND ALL you guys who called, emailed, and visited legislators.

We are analyzing the latest submission now. Nothing will happen until next Thursday.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Gregory Conley, Dimitris Agrafiotis, and a bunch of GA vendors met with the committee and were successful in reducing the bill from 22 pages down to 2. Those pages mainly definitions about vaping. The bill is NOT "killed" but going to go thru rewrite. There already is a law on the books concerning minors not being able to buy vape supplies. Will learn more when Dimi gets back to Chattanooga. :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

2 hrs
·

Chairman Setzler just announced that HB907 has been modified from 22 pages down to 2 and a half. Georgialink has been awesome behind the scenes!!! AND ALL you guys who called, emailed, and visited legislators.

We are analyzing the latest submission now. Nothing will happen until next Thursday.

Gregory Conley, Dimitris Agrafiotis, and a bunch of GA vendors met with the committee and were successful in reducing the bill from 22 pages down to 2. Those pages mainly definitions about vaping. The bill is NOT "killed" but going to go thru rewrite. There already is a law on the books concerning minors not being able to buy vape supplies. Will learn more when Dimi gets back to Chattanooga. :)

Good to Hear. And it sounds like things are Moving in a Better Direction.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana

2 hrs
·

THAT is just incredible! After our experience here in Indiana I hesitate to celebrate this early but dang I hope this modification is the beginning of the end of HB907.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
I added my little story to the top of the letter from CASAA. Will it do any good? Who knows. All we can do is fight as well as we can and hope (and pray) that we'll have some people with sense on our side.
I did the same, personalized it a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread