Look's like we are getting a little momentium ecigarettes could impact smoking decades from now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks for posting. Although they repeat the 'no long term studies' point:

"Because e-cigarettes are new to the market there have not been long-term studies of their impact on smoking or value as cessation products," said Rafael Meza, assistant professor of epidemiology and corresponding author, adding this is where a model like the one he, Cherng and two other public health doctoral students developed can be helpful."

They put a better spin on it, that is rather new (although not unknown).

"There is a lot of additional research needed on the overall safety and impact of e-cigarettes that our study does not address. But what our research shows is that given current levels of smoking prevalence, initiation and cessation rates in the United States, and the way that e-cigarettes are currently are being used, their long-term consequences are going to depend largely on their effects on smoking cessation—positive or negative—and in a lesser manner on their relationship to smoking initiation.

They could have left off the 'positive or negative' :- )

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Agreed but I think that most if not all people that come out in support of vaping will use that statement to deflect any possible liability down the road. We have become a society of lawsuits and legal battles, everyone has to have their disclaimer in place to avoid possible litigation.

Overall I am beginning to read more articles that are being published with some level of support for vaping as THR. I believe is a fairly drastic turn from what we experienced several months ago and they are hitting main stream websites. The two I posted were both on Yahoo news which I read drinking my morning coffee.

Tabfreejon

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
Littleton, Co
I'm not getting too excited yet. That may be because I'm cynical...but...

It appears the FDA sponsored research into the delightful Varenicline. Presumably to show that if people want to quit smoking, then ecigs aren't the way to go and that good old Chantix is absolutely fine and does NOT turn you into an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. Hopefully it's not so that they can turn around and say "yeah e-cigs are really bad for you so just use patches and Chantix. 'cos we approved them, so they're awesome".

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-cessation-medications-neuropsychiatric-side-effects.html

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'm not getting too excited yet. That may be because I'm cynical...but...

It appears the FDA sponsored research into the delightful Varenicline. Presumably to show that if people want to quit smoking, then ecigs aren't the way to go and that good old Chantix is absolutely fine and does NOT turn you into an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. Hopefully it's not so that they can turn around and say "yeah e-cigs are really bad for you so just use patches and Chantix. 'cos we approved them, so they're awesome".

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-cessation-medications-neuropsychiatric-side-effects.html
I, too, get the impression that the sciency PR makeover for Chantix, is at least in part because ANTZ consider it an important tool in their fight against vaping.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Reactions: skoony

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Status