RDA Loose/shaky positive pin (center pin) on RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
Well , so basically I have this Avid Lyfe Stormtrooper mech mod clone which I've transferred another rda (from another avid lyfe clone set, it has a protruding 510 pin), the problem is despite tightening everything to make the battery sit "fit" inside the mod , the battery will still have this minor rattle regardless. I've decided to adjust the 510 on the rda to extend a bit further , but the problem is the center pin (the post that is connected to the 510) becomes loose.At first the battery rattle stops , but after opening the dripper cap, the rattle appears again and the center post keeps popping up even after I push it down . The mod fires okay, no inefficiency or overheating. Is this okay though ? I'm just a bit paranoid of the mod exploding at my face lol.

Ps: yes , I've studied ohm's law and battery safety before getting into mechs

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'm just a bit paranoid of the mod exploding at my face lol.
    No your not being paranoid.
    Sounds like that atty does not have an adjustable 510.
    Loosening the screw is also loosening the post, which could cause a short.
    Hopefully someone can give you specific info., as I don't own that mod or atty.
    I would consider using another atty.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Newtimer

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
    No your not being paranoid.
    Sounds like that atty does not have an adjustable 510.
    Loosening the screw is also loosening the post, which could cause a short.
    Hopefully someone can give you specific info., as I don't own that mod or atty.
    I would consider using another atty.

If the positive PIN was constantly touching the battery wouldn't it just start firing?

I assume the ground is more or less connected all the time, and you push the bottom button to make contact with the positive pin?

Not sure how that MOD is constructed.

i don't have that mod or atty but loose or sloppy makes for short or open. i would use something else till i had it sorted.

Hmm. Noted . Because even without adjusting the pin , the 510 protrudes and the center post is tight. Problem is the battery still have a minor rattle (not very noticeable) despite having a protruding pin and tightening the cap which connects to the atty, there's still a minor rattle. Should I worried though? Everything is firing normally and no overheating and stuff .

Ps: the center post became loose because I tried extending the pin to remove this rattle. Hence the question lol .

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 7, 2011
    Illinois
    It is "not" a good idea to loosen a 510 pin on an RDA that does not have an adjustable one, in any circumstance, especially with a hybrid connection... You are just asking for a short or something to go wrong in this situation. Ohm's law and battery safety will not help you from "user error"!!!

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
    It is "not" a good idea to loosen a 510 pin on an RDA that does not have an adjustable one, in any circumstance, especially with a hybrid connection... You are just asking for a short or something to go wrong in this situation. Ohm's law and battery safety will not help you from "user error"!!!
    Touche indeed. Hmm, so basically an atty that is deemed "adjustable" basically allows the pin to be adjusted at the same time the center post is still intact and tight ? All this while I thought "adjustable atty" literally means the 510 pin with a philip screw connection to allow unscrew-ing of the 510 pin lol.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    You may have some ruff edges on the 510 screw? especially in the screw slot. I found that these can grab the top of the battery and unscrew themselves after going on and off a number of times. I take and polish these and round off the slot a bit (usually has some cutting flash on it), and make sure there are no burs or sharp edges on them, will sometimes stick a o-ring on them to help lock them in a little bit. On some of my worst ones, I j-b weld them together so they are`nt coming apart at all. As long as they are clean when put together, has`nt been a problem with doing that.

BOL, and be careful, this is a mod that demands respect and careful attention.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Oh, and on the threaded top cap. Its gonna wiggle a lil bit if you don`t screw it down tight, and you really want to just screw it down till its slightly snug, so some wiggle is going to be there, nothing to worry about.

Have you seen the video about polishing the threads on these?
    You take some 3 in 1 oil and put it on the threads and work/run the top cap and bottom housing in and out and in and out, them clean it up with a good wash and tooth brush. This helps polish the threads one to the other and remove`s any burs that may still be in there post machining.

BOL.

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
    You may have some ruff edges on the 510 screw? especially in the screw slot. I found that these can grab the top of the battery and unscrew themselves after going on and off a number of times. I take and polish these and round off the slot a bit (usually has some cutting flash on it), and make sure there are no burs or sharp edges on them, will sometimes stick a o-ring on them to help lock them in a little bit. On some of my worst ones, I j-b weld them together so they are`nt coming apart at all. As long as they are clean when put together, has`nt been a problem with doing that.

BOL, and be careful, this is a mod that demands respect and careful attention.

Oh, and on the threaded top cap. Its gonna wiggle a lil bit if you don`t screw it down tight, and you really want to just screw it down till its slightly snug, so some wiggle is going to be there, nothing to worry about.

Have you seen the video about polishing the threads on these?
    You take some 3 in 1 oil and put it on the threads and work/run the top cap and bottom housing in and out and in and out, them clean it up with a good wash and tooth brush. This helps polish the threads one to the other and remove`s any burs that may still be in there post machining.

BOL.
    Noted. Thanks. I've changed another atty just to be safe haha .

Reactions: muzichead

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    I've used a bunch of different attys on my Able clones and never, ever had an issue tightening the top cap enough to eliminate battery rattle. I am very surprised to read this - I guess the atty you are using must have an extremely short 510 pin. Even so, the Able is designed to deal with such a condition, assuming the pin protrudes at least far enough to be safely used. Interesting...

Newtimer

Sep 14, 2016
    I've used a bunch of different attys on my Able clones and never, ever had an issue tightening the top cap enough to eliminate battery rattle. I am very surprised to read this - I guess the atty you are using must have an extremely short 510 pin. Even so, the Able is designed to deal with such a condition, assuming the pin protrudes at least far enough to be safely used. Interesting...
    Yea , other atties worked, some had minor rattles but I was able to correct it . Currently using the Azeroth RDTA , no rattles , sometimes a minor side to side rattle but it's unnoticeable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread