Lots of new squonkers - a threat to Reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
On second thought:

I'm glad I posted this in the "Liquid Feed APV Discussion" forum.

Why?

I'm afraid that if it were posted in the Reo forum the replies would be limited to folks that frequent the Reo sub-forum - you know, Reo fans.

Posting here probably hits a better cross section of the squonking community, with far less bias and more diverse opinions.
A fan base is the worst place in the world to get business decision opinions, the fan base is already all set with product. Not the best place to figure out what to do different to get non owners to want any new stuff you might be working on ;)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Regarding 3D printed mods and ABS plastic mods, even the "nicer" ones like Floris, Boxer, etc: I really don't see the value in those. I personally find the Reo P67 a much nicer box for the money - it's hefty, well machined, durable, and does everything I want in a squonker. I feel much better about having spent 200 bucks on a Reo than a plastic box. I know I said earlier that I wish Reos Mods would come out with a resin mod, or some other lightweight material - but still prefer the P67. To me, metal mods machined from a solid block of aluminum exude quality.

If I buy a printed or plastic box it's going to be something like the Pulse (which I ordered) or maybe an Armageddon - but nothing more expensive than that. I can't see spending much over 100 bucks on a plastic mod and even then it's going to have to be pretty special.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
And another thing: What is the obsession with 20700 batteries? I use 3000mAh LG browns in my Reos and they are more than sufficient. Why in the world would I switch to 20700 mods? The IJoy 20700 has the same 3000mAh rating, so I get the same run time. Switching is a huge expense for me - kinda like when I went from vinyl to CDs with my music collection.

Note that I said that the browns work fine at my amperage - I don't need the 20700 batteries for more headroom that I'll never need or use, so it makes no sense for me to switch and have to buy new batteries and another charger for no gain in performance.

If I'm wrong, educate me.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
BINGO! Say they release a brand new design, and it goes ballistic because it just tickets everyone's want list. One disgruntled letter to the FDA and Eric gets a cease and decist order. Followed by fines, confiscations and forced ( they got guys with guns ) closure.
Right. In the end, they will threaten to shoot people who engage in commerce that they don't approve of.
I have never understood why we, an ostensibly free, civilized society, allow government to do that in situations where there is no victim, no property was damaged, no fraud was committed, and no force was applied.

Apologies for the digression.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
A fan base is the worst place in the world to get business decision opinions, the fan base is already all set with product. Not the best place to figure out what to do different to get non owners to want any new stuff you might be working on ;)

I ment for the new owner to see the responses!

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
And another thing: What is the obsession with 20700 batteries? I use 3000mAh LG browns in my Reos and they are more than sufficient. Why in the world would I switch to 20700 mods? The IJoy 20700 has the same 3000mAh rating, so I get the same run time. Switching is a huge expense for me - kinda like when I went from vinyl to CDs with my music collection.

Note that I said that the browns work fine at my amperage - I don't need the 20700 batteries for more headroom that I'll never need or use, so it makes no sense for me to switch and have to buy new batteries and another charger for no gain in performance.

If I'm wrong, educate me.

I've not looked into those batteries but assume they may provide higher amps then 20amp 18650 batteries which would only be 2000mah. To get true higher amp (25-30) 18650 batts one would have to use 1500mah batteries.

So possibly longer run times with higher amps.. figuring since it's a larger battery.. though like I've said I have not done the research.

Just going by the new trend of other mech mods and swuonker mods coming out lately.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Also I like the square shape better on the grand then the new rounded p67. Easier for me to hold with my large hands.. Maybe if the p67 was larger I could hold it better.

I have had many grands over the past 6-7 years and 1 p67. Though I've been itching to get a regulated bf mod as I had long ago with the reo vv.. So recently grabbed 2 Therion bf dna75c mods.

I prob be lucky to see a years worth out of these mods but the reos will last a left time.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
He can't post here but there is nothing stopping him from reading ;)

Good to know.. hopefully someone sends him a link.. though he might not like what he reads since there's few reo fans seeing this thread.

Reos are usually satisfied customers that once they discover a reo nothing else matters.. no more hunting for other mods as they found what works and is super dependable so that hunt is over for them. :)

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Good to know.. hopefully someone sends him a link.. though he might not like what he reads since there's few reo fans seeing this thread.

Reos are usually satisfied customers that once they discover a reo nothing else matters.. no more hunting for other mods as they found what works and is super dependable so that hunt is over for them. :)
While I agree REOs are undeniably the best all round mech squonker - I disagree that the hunt is over for those with REOs. I bet more people who own REOs own other BF mods than you can count. I see many familiar faces on FB groups and even on this forum who own other squonkers.

I'm glad there are options that appeal to everyone no matter the budget.

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013

One can be a fan, and still be open to other things, it's not exclusive. Many of my REOs previous owners have told me they were moving on. Some were done vaping, others had decided to go regulated, or moved onto lower voltage drop mods. quite a few of the used ones I picked up were barely functioning when I got them, and required total break downs, cleaning, and re-building to get them performing properly again. The owners probably had no clue as to why their mod wasn't as spectacular a vape as they remembered upon getting it new.

Truth is, I love my REOs mods, and I got a bunch of them, but the new owners walked into a spot between a rock and a hard place. Shrinking demand, and the inability to revamp with newer offerings is not a very good business plan. If they do release something new, they are going to be putting a target on their backs just asking for the FDA to investigate. Best case I see is that they keep servicing the mods of their loyal customers, selling off whatever stock they have, and keep producing current models to fill any demand, which Eric even himself admitted was way down from past sales history.

If they did their homework and registered the business and all of their products, they should have until 2022 to carry on with that.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
One can be a fan, and still be open to other things, it's not exclusive. Many of my REOs previous owners have told me they were moving on. Some were done vaping, others had decided to go regulated, or moved onto lower voltage drop mods. quite a few of the used ones I picked up were barely functioning when I got them, and required total break downs, cleaning, and re-building to get them performing properly again. The owners probably had no clue as to why their mod wasn't as spectacular a vape as they remembered upon getting it new.

Truth is, I love my REOs mods, and I got a bunch of them, but the new owners walked into a spot between a rock and a hard place. Shrinking demand, and the inability to revamp with newer offerings is not a very good business plan. If they do release something new, they are going to be putting a target on their backs just asking for the FDA to investigate. Best case I see is that they keep servicing the mods of their loyal customers, selling off whatever stock they have, and keep producing current models to fill any demand, which Eric even himself admitted was way down from past sales history.

If they did their homework and registered the business and all of their products, they should have until 2022 to carry on with that.

So your saying any mod maker really should skip out of the us to beat future rda regulations of fold cause they won't be able to compete with any new mods that are made over seas for pennies and sold for less then $50.

Damn sounds like it's time to just name the thing a flash light or battery box.. I remember people talking about that years ago.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
While I agree REOs are undeniably the best all round mech squonker - I disagree that the hunt is over for those with REOs. I bet more people who own REOs own other BF mods than you can count. I see many familiar faces on FB groups and even on this forum who own other squonkers.

I'm glad there are options that appeal to everyone no matter the budget.

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

I guess I was one of those completely satisfied reo users so content I was not looking for anything else nor knew or cared if there was any other bf mods.. only thing I would hunt for every now and then was maybe a new bf atty to mod but those are being made now as well.

I've prob owned over 20 different reos over the years.. from reo grands to minis, vv grand, vv woodvil, 6 other woodvils to a single p67.

Most reo users I've known over the years were only interested in buying another reo let alone a new bf mod.. back then there wasn't anything else.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA

He's had vv grands out before and vv woodvils.. couldn't he just come out with those again with a different chip for regulation and be good or no?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
So your saying any mod maker really should skip out of the us to beat future rda regulations of fold cause they won't be able to compete with any new mods that are made over seas for pennies and sold for less then $50.

Damn sounds like it's time to just name the thing a flash light or battery box.. I remember people talking about that years ago.
The regulations are not future, they are in effect right now, like the registration requirements, manufacturers must be registered and all products must be registered and the due date for that is :
naming it a flashlight isn't going to fly...

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
He's had vv grands out before and vv woodvils.. couldn't he just come out with those again with a different chip for regulation and be good or no?
No, it would be a completely new product, any change no matter how small, especially something as huge as a different chipset, would be a new product, it stinks, but it is what it is...

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
The regulations are not future, they are in effect right now, like the registration requirements, manufacturers must be registered and all products must be registered and the due date for that is :
naming it a flashlight isn't going to fly...

So how is the above stopping anyone from coming out with new stuff?? Is there a big 1mil attached to register new products like in the past they were talking about new juices would cost that much to get fda approval?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
So how is the above stopping anyone from coming out with new stuff?? Is there a big 1mil attached to register new products like in the past they were talking about new juices would cost that much to get fda approval?
Any new products introduced to the market after 8/8/2016 must be approved through the Pre Market tobacco application process before being sold in the US marketplace...yup, that's the kicker, it will affect any US company, but foreign companies can make and sell whatever they want, they just can't sell it here...but...most companies don't sell directly, so it is on the importers that this will fall.

It's weird, but there was a flurry of underage stings they did back when this stuff first hit, then not any noise about any enforcement going on. The ball is in the FDA's court, anyone can do whatever they wish, and maybe get away with it for years even, but if they do choose to act...they don't play nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread