Low resistance vs high ?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Pinkhare, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pinkhare

Pinkhare Full Member

I just got my ego c and I'm wondering whats the difference in the low vs high resistance atomizers ?

2. kaysesoze

kaysesoze Senior Member ECF Veteran

Low resistance is the way to go.. It basically allows note power output from the atomizer and the 3v battery that the ego comes with. Lower the resistance the more power output, more vapor... Higher resistance would be better from higher voltage mods

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. rogerniner

rogerniner Full Member

From what i understand high resistance is for higher voltage, and lower resistance for lower voltage. I am still learning too, but I have heard not to go below 2 ohms on an Ego. High resistance on an ego won't work too well, meaning not as much vapor, but works better with higher voltage ecigs.

4. Pinkhare

Pinkhare Full Member

does it affect the taste ?

5. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Everything affects taste.

6. muriarte

muriarte Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Basically, resistance is the factor (in ohms) that says how much current (in watts) goes thru the wire, the more current, the more heat. More heat means more vapor and usually more flavor. A lower resistance atty let´s more current flow thru the wire in the atty or carto.

Small batts don´t work too well with LR atties ´cause they discharge too fast, making them fail. Be sure to use LR only if your ecig is rated for it.

7. sailorman

sailorman Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Here's an easy explanation, I think.

Your atomizer or cartomizer heats by using watts, like a light bulb. The more watts, the hotter the heat and the brighter the bulb.

Most juice tastes best between 6 and 10 watts being used by the atomizer coil (or cartomizer coil).

So, to find out how many watts your coil is, you can't look at it like a light bulb because it depends on the voltage of the battery.

The simple fomula is: Volts X Volts / ohms = Watts.

If you have an eGo-T or an eGo-C, your battery is 3.4 volts.

If you use a 1.7 ohm atomizer, the formula woud be:

3.4V x 3.4V / 1.7ohms = 6.8 watts.

If you plug the numbers in the formula, replacing 1.7 with whatever resistance (ohms) your atty is, you will see that the lower the ohms, the higher the watts, and vice-versa.

If you change only the volts, the higher the volts, the higher the watts (and vice versa).

If you use too high of a voltage, or too low of a resistance, the watts will be so high that some juice will taste burnt.

If you use too low voltage or too high resistance, the watts will be too low and the vapor will be weak.

8. Pinkhare

Pinkhare Full Member

Thanks everyone!

9. teenie

teenie New Member

Thanks for asking I have been wondering the same!

10. Provangelist

Provangelist Full Member

That formula's pretty useful. I'll definitely keep that in consideration when dialing in my VV device. Thanks!

11. Sostenuto

Sostenuto Full Member

Noob question:

If the juice tastes a little burnt...does that taste closer to burnt tobacco taste or is it just not good?

12. muriarte

muriarte Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

NOT good... Remember that time when you lit up a cigarrette backwards, burning the filter? Something like that...

13. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Low resistance provides a warmer vape than regular resistance. High resistance is for high powered mods but to me defeats the purpose of vaping at 6V.

14. bimbot

bimbot New Member

So how many Ohms is considered low res?

15. Catfish76

Catfish76 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

What is the purpose of these really high volt devices (ie: 6v). The carts, clearo's, attys etc I have seen aren't suggested to go that high. What can?

16. ShogaNinja

ShogaNinja Vaping Master ECF Veteran

That formula is completely unnecessary.

INSTEAD you can reference this table here whenever you want to know which resistance to use (aim just below the red line if you like to push the envelope for heat and vapor production): http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tutorials/260292-selecting-cartomizers-match-your-battery-temperature-preferences-excel.html

More voltage with less resistance doesn't just equal a "burnt taste", it increases the heat of the vapor and lowers the lifespan of the coil (the coil can melt). The idea is to find the right ratio of voltage to resistance and stay within that range no matter how much you scale it up or down. That table I linked does all the work for you. Easy button for the win!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.