Lowe"s bans the use of e-cigs on it's property

Status
Not open for further replies.

krewblink

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
California
Emails Will not change their minds in a million years... Some of these people who made this rule probably have never smoked a cigarette let alone a E-Cig, They dont want people roaming around blowing smoke in their business. It will frighten the customers or make the customers believe that its Weed or a cigarette, and probably piss off the employees for having to deal with a certain customer. I know many of us are responsible, but a lot of people are not. For example Kids 18-24. Be respectful of their business and follow the rules. We live in the United States and have to follow Dumb imposed Laws everyday. Why not make an exception. Do we really have to vape for those 30 minutes or more minutes we are in there shopping? No.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Emails Will not change their minds in a million years... Some of these people who made this rule probably have never smoked a cigarette let alone a E-Cig, They dont want people roaming around blowing smoke in their business. It will frighten the customers or make the customers believe that its Weed or a cigarette, and probably piss off the employees for having to deal with a certain customer. I know many of us are responsible, but a lot of people are not. For example Kids 18-24. Be respectful of their business and follow the rules. We live in the United States and have to follow Dumb imposed Laws everyday. Why not make an exception. Do we really have to vape for those 30 minutes or more minutes we are in there shopping? No.

I disagree - to a degree. I think emails have some impact - if well written and thought out. The policy may not change but how it is enforced might. And, I tend to think many involved in the rule are or were smokers. Did we think think that Lowes was going to have a policy that "e-ciggers are welcome - vape to your delight"? I think someone forced situation and Lowes went to position of least resistance. Does anyone know how HD stands on issue? Any public notices of "vaping OK" or sales for the best mod at HD. I think both Lowes and HD attempt to offend as few as possible. IMO both are good stores and are simply trying to earn a buck and not trying to force particular norms or behavior. Just MO.

bemorphy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been making solar panels and using Lowes and Home Depot for some materials. I vape with my e-cigs brand in both stores and wal mart. But it is small and can fit in m hand with my palm over the end of the led. Guess they just gotta catch ya. Can't seem to go 20 min with out a vape.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I was in Lowe's recently, and spent a lot of time looking at new windows. I was talking with a sales guy, we were talking about 21 windows, so it was more $$$ than just buying a hammer. After chatting with the sales guy for nearly an hour, I pulled out a mod (definitely does not look like a cig), and took a couple of hits right in front of him. Knowing of Lowe's policy, I was curious if he would mention it. He didn't blink an eye, and didn't say a word.

I will stealth it occasionally if I am in any store for a long time. I used to never be able to smoke in stores, I usually wait till I'm done. In a restaurant I always ask first, and have never been turned down. I exhale it downwards, and do not try to make a steam engine display.

KnotGillty

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Sacramento CA
Still gonna shop at Lowes. I never smoked there when I smoked so I'm not gonna vape either. If we were to boycott everyplace that had a policy someone disagreed with then 99% of us would be standing in A field vaping by ourselves.

Just sayin.
I totally agree with you eyebedam.

Last I looked, lots of stores had rules against certain things. No shoes, no drink, no food, etc. Are we going to boycott these places too? It's almost as if we feel, as vapers, that we should be allowed to vape anywhere & everywhere. In a perfect world maybe, but reality isn't that convenient.

I understand why some of you might be upset, but c'mon, be reasonable. Just because we vape doesn't mean that our needs somehow override everyone elses. I fully support being able to vape in public. But just because a retailer doesn't want it in their establishment doesn't mean that I'm going to boycott them.

Education and understanding are the keys to change, not ideals rooted in hatred.

Just my :2c:

Last edited:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
There's no need to ban vaping. Is there a policy specifically banning squirt guns? Loud noises? Farting? Bad breath? Children? Vaping would already be covered under the requirement to show common courtesy to others or be asked to leave. You don't blow vapor into people's faces any more than you would squirt them with a water bottle and then claim it's ok because it's only water. If they're going to specifically ban everything that an inconsiderate person could to to bother others, it's going to be a long list. If they're going to lump vaping with smoking because they're ignorant and too lazy to bother to educate themselves, then they deserve to be boycotted.

Every establishment has the right to write their own rules and I fully support that. That's not the issue here. The issue here is their insistence on lumping vaping with smoking and I think they should be boycotted on that basis. They (and everyone else) are not going to bother to learn the difference unless they have to.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
*LOL*
I'd never shop at a store with such a ridiculous name.
No matter whether they allow smoking or vaping or not.

Lowe's is a ridiculous name? Probably don't understand European thought. How is it ridiculous? I think it is a persons name. But if not - it could be. So how is it ridiculous?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
So what's the big deal? You couldn't smoke there before, so whats the difference?
You couldn't smoke in theaters, so why should you be able to vape?
You couldn't smoke in restaurant or bars. You got used to it.
You couldn't smoke on airplanes or in the airport before. You got used to that too?
You couldn't smoke on hospital property, or in public administration buildings. Why vape?
You can't smoke on school property at some schools. Are we privileged because we vape?
If you can't smoke in grocery stores, you shouldn't vape there either.
Malls don't allow smoking, so why should they allow vaping? It's their parking lot.
You could never smoke in retail shops anyway, so why can't you wait until you leave the premises?
It's illegal to smoke within 50' of a business entrance, so you shouldn't vape there either.
In some cities, you can't smoke outside in public parks. Why should vaping be different?
You can't smoke in sports stadiums, performance halls or museums. Are vapers special?
You didn't mind going outside at work to smoke. Why would it bother you to go outside to vape?
You paid more for life insurance as a smoker. Why not as a vaper?
You won't notice any difference.
You couldn't smoke in hotel rooms. It shouldn't bother you not to vape in one.
Many companies won't hire smokers. Why should they make an exception for you?
Some apartment buildings don't allow smoking in the apartments. It's only fair they ban vaping too.
You can still vape in your car, for now anyway.
You can even vape inside your house
if you don't live in one of those apartment buildings.
But stay away from your kids. Vaping hasn't been proven 100% safe.
So send your kid outside to work on that leaky car muffler
, or ride his bike in the clean urban air.
Best vape in your bedroom though, with the door shut.
Maybe duct tape the crack under the door, just in case.
You can get duct tape at Lowe's.
And when they tack a $3/ml tax on ejuice, it'll still be cheaper than the cigarette tax.

Don't you feel so much freer, now that you're a vaper and not a smoker?

Last edited:

TUS172

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson
I'm in Lowes every week or so buying stuff for projects around the house and vape there inconspicuously. No one has approached me to lower the 'boom'. I vape where ever i go Airports, restaurants, theaters... But just keep it inconspicuous and have never had a problem. I suppose if I went to the check out and started blowing clouds of vape from my GGTS there would certainly be a problem but I don't vape to be a nuisance... I vape for the pleasure of having an alternative to smoking.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
What's the difference? Other than the slow erosion of personal freedom & individual liberty, I'm not F-ing SMOKING! The worst smell you'll get from my exhalate is a hint of fruit or mint.

I can't tell whether your tongue is planted in your cheek or not, but if not... then I want a ban on cologne & perfume in the workplace & in public too. Patchouli makes me wanna puke. I'm offended. Ban it. It might be bad for my health. Nobody's proven that second hand Patchouli stink isn't harmful to my health.

"It's only fair they ban vaping too." Fair? When has life ever been fair?

Too many of these new "rules" seem to be more about political correctness or potential "harm prevention" these days.

So what's the big deal? You couldn't smoke there before, so whats the difference?
<snip ... </snip
Don't you feel so much freer, now that you're a vaper and not a smoker?

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Lowe's shouldn't necessarily be singled out for boycott for enacting this policy. First of alll, a few vapers (being that we're an extreme minority) boycotting Lowe's isn't going to have much of an effect on their bottom line. Secondly, Home Depot would probably go ahead and enact this very same policy soon after a few naive fools got caught vaping in their stores too.

It has more to do with the store management not wanting to have to explain to other customers why it looks like somebody's smoking in the store, than it has to do with management thinking it's dangerous for other people's health.

Best thing to do is stealth vape, if you MUST vape at supermarkets and department stores, etc.

you know, this is the reason our country is where it is now. I'm not blaming the poster but our country is founded on the idea of a few people doing something and getting the ball rolling. This is the reason why people don't vote and then get surprised when our govt does things that make the majority of us scratch our heads and say, "what?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread