Lowe"s bans the use of e-cigs on it's property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I just sent

To Whom It May Concern,

I have just receive word that Lowe’s has banned the use of Electronic Cigarettes / Personal Vaporizers on their property, as part of the company and storewide No Smoking Policy.
I for one, am a Vaper and use an Electronic Cigarette. I have also been a customer of Lowe’s for many years.
While I agree of a No Smoking Policy and have no issue with that portion of your policy.
I do have issue with the including of the Electronic Cigarette.
I use my PV at any given time as it does not have Fire, Flame, Smoke, Smell, Ashes. It does not give off any second hand smoke or odor.
The Electronic Cigarette is a viable alternative to tobacco and is becoming more and more commonplace.
By enacting this policy, you are going to make Vapers go elsewhere for their home improvement needs.
I will be one of those Vapers to take my business elsewhere.

Please forward this letter to those responsible for the policy decisions of Lowe’s

Thank You

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
What a joke, I mean how many in the construction field smoke (Tons) so they are pushing business away from there target audience of buyers, not to smart of a company policy in my honest opinion. Someone should write the Home Depot and tell them what Lowe's did in mandating this policy and for the Home Depot to do just the opposite and have a open policy that WELCOMES VAPORS TO THE STORES !!!!!!

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Why is the vaping community so up in arms over places banning the use of e-cigs in their facilities? Just be happy they aren't outright banned, period.

It's not that different from smoking being banned. You didn't smoke there in the first place. Vapers who vape to get around smoking bans are not helping the cause, the anti's just see it as a way to undermine already in place laws and fight back even harder.

People can still find the scents given off by the vapor offensive, and as such vapers should respect that. It's their air, too. Also at first glance it can easily be confused that you are smoking, not vaping, and cause a bunch of commotion. I, for one, don't want any unnecessary attention. I don't vape where I didn't smoke, except in my own home and vehicle.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
Why is the vaping community so up in arms over places banning the use of e-cigs in their facilities? Just be happy they aren't outright banned, period.

It's not that different from smoking being banned. You didn't smoke there in the first place. Vapers who vape to get around smoking bans are not helping the cause, the anti's just see it as a way to undermine already in place laws and fight back even harder.

People can still find the scents given off by the vapor offensive, and as such vapers should respect that. It's their air, too. Also at first glance it can easily be confused that you are smoking, not vaping, and cause a bunch of commotion. I, for one, don't want any unnecessary attention. I don't vape where I didn't smoke, except in my own home and vehicle.

But not allowing it in the parking lot? That's to much imo.

bigtimeweb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Texas
You know, not only will I email Lowes to let them know why I'm now shopping at Home Depot, I'm emailing Home depot to let them know why I'm no longer shopping at Lowes. Perhaps when a proposed "policy" crosses the desk of whomever makes those decisions for Home Depot, they'll remember it.

And dogs :) I take my lab with me shopping in that store. No one ever says a word except to stop and give him compliments. He loves it.

I think the idea of preemptively bombarding Home Depot with I love you emails is a GREAT idea!

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
Email sent including a few links to reputable sources of info on ecigs...Hey people be nice..Don't prove them right(in their minds) by sending a bunch of cussing or nasty rude comments...Maybe they will repeal the decision just as quickly from the realization of the amount of business they will lose...Remember this is a big corporation their pocketbooks will make their decisions every time...

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul

I find the scents given off by 99% of perfumes and cologne offensive, please ban the use of it in public places.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I sent the following to customercare@lowes.com. I included my name address and phone number. I encourage the rest of you to send something similar.

Dear Sirs,

I understand that you have banned the use of personal vaporizers (PVs)
otherwise known as e-cigarettes in your stores. I'm here to tell you
that I think this is an unreasonable policy and one that you should
revoke immediately. While some PVs do resemble cigarettes, many do
not. None of them produce smoke. They produce vapor. The only harmful
ingredient in the vapor is nicotine and by itself nicotine at these
doses is roughly equivalent in toxicity to caffeine. The liquid that is
used in these devices is composed of propylene glycol (not to be
confused with ethylene glycol or antifreeze), vegetable glycerin, water,
nicotine and flavoring. I've already covered the nicotine and the rest
of the ingredients are generally regarded as safe. Compare this to the
list of more than 4000 harmful substances in cigarettes.

The vapor produced is almost odorless, dissipates quickly, and is only
produced when the device is actually in use. It produces no lingering
odor. You would not be able to tell whether a person habitually used a
PV by their smell.

These devices have proven to be more effective at getting people off
cigarettes than any other method. If you truly care about your
employees and customers, you would encourage their use as an alternative
to smoking. Instead you have instituted an unreasonable policy that has
no rational basis and in fact will likely do more harm than good. It's
scant encouragement for a smoker to switch to the much safer PV, if you
make it just as inconvenient as smoking.

I have spent thousands of dollars at Lowe's buying appliances, hardware,
paint etc. over the last few years but, I prefer to do business with
companies that have rational policies that are based in fact. Therefore
I will not be doing business with Lowe's while this policy is in place.
I live near enough to your corporate headquarters and if you like, I
would be happy to come there and explain why this device is a lifesaver
and should not be banned in your stores.

Thank You,

Last edited:

Iluvthearmy

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
The Desert
I sent the following to customercare@lowes.com. I included my name address and phone number. I encourage the rest of you to send something similar.

Dear Sirs,

I understand that you have banned the use of personal vaporizers (PVs)
otherwise known as e-cigarettes in your stores. I'm here to tell you
that I think this is an unreasonable policy and one that you should
revoke immediately. While some PVs do resemble cigarettes, many do
not. None of them produce smoke. They produce vapor. The only harmful
ingredient in the vapor is nicotine and by itself nicotine at these
doses is roughly equivalent in toxicity to caffeine. The liquid that is
used in these devices is composed of propylene glycol (not to be
confused with ethylene glycol or antifreeze), vegetable glycerin, water,
nicotine and flavoring. I've already covered the nicotine and the rest
of the ingredients are generally regarded as safe. Compare this to the
list of more than 4000 harmful substances in cigarettes.

The vapor produced is almost odorless, dissipates quickly, and is only
produced when the device is actually in use. It produces no lingering
odor. You would not be able to tell whether a person habitually used a
PV by their smell.

These devices have proven to be more effective at getting people off
cigarettes than any other method. If you truly care about your
employees and customers, you would encourage their use as an alternative
to smoking. Instead you have instituted an unreasonable policy that has
no rational basis and in fact will likely do more harm than good. It's
scant encouragement for a smoker to switch to the much safer PV, if you
make it just as inconvenient as smoking.

I have spent thousands of dollars at Lowe's buying appliances, hardware,
paint etc. over the last few years but, I prefer to do business with
companies that have rational policies that are based in fact. Therefore
I will not be doing business with Lowe's while this policy is in place.
I live near enough to your corporate headquarters and if you like, I
would be happy to come there and explain why this device is a lifesaver
and should not be banned in your stores.

Thank You,

:toast: very nice.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Maybe they will repeal the decision just as quickly from the realization of the amount of business they will lose...Remember this is a big corporation their pocketbooks will make their decisions every time...
I support this little boycott. But, being realistic here ... at the moment, vapers are a very tiny part of the population. The impact of a boycott by vapers is most likely negligible on their bottom line. I agree that nasty emails serve no useful purpose, and are more likely harmful to the cause.

Supplying them with relevant facts which politely discount their current stand is probably the best course. IMO, FWIW.

Oh, and letting them know you're boycotting ain't gonna hurt either, LOL.

Last edited:

slumdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
South Florida & NYC The Village
Email sent, I just find it difficult to believe that some lawyers can be so ignorant and be so blind as to think the FDA is in anyway the Holy Grail of what is kosher for human consumption...

With a corp like that first it went to a manager then district then regional then corporate and then the lawyers were called in to ask.."where should we stand on this?" and I had just hoped that the legal system in this country wasn't being run by monkeys but.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread