lungs sore by vaping too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty new to vaping, and I’m trying to figure out whether it’s possible to make your lungs sore by vaping too much in too short a time. I vape when drinking, so zero use through the week, and then suddenly quite a bit in 3-5 hours. How easy is it to overdo it when vaping?

(Or is it more likely that the problem lies in voltage/heat, juice sensitivity, or something else?)

Back Story:

I’m still fairly new to vaping, coming off a habit of handrolled high quality tobacco cigarettes, about 20 cigarettes A WEEK, usually compressed into three nights: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Started vaping with White Cloud pg/vg mix and soon learned that pg immediately locked up my sinuses, even with other suppliers who were supposed to be better quality ingredients, and I’m a guy who has had very few sinus problems in my life.

So I’ve been trying 100% VG from Velvet Cloud and loving the stuff…but now my problem is a tendency to sore lungs and throat after a night of partying and vaping. This is Wednesday, for example, and I haven’t vaped since Sunday around noon, but my lungs are still hurting a bit. By the way, my tendency is to not vape at all Sunday through Wednesday when I also don’t drink, but then vape for drinking nights Thursday through Saturday.

I guess my question is, am I vaping too much on these nights? Is it possible to overdo it. I mean, I hit the thing quite a bit. Not constantly, of course, and I take breaks, but still quite consistently say for four hours.

Could the problem still be sensitivity to particular juice? (I just ordered some alcohol-free stuff from Virgin Vapors and look forward to seeing if that helps.)

Could it be too much heat? (I just got my eGo v6 and mostly vape on 4 volts with occasional 5 volt and 6 volts vapes just to feel the difference)

Or is it most likely just too much vaping in too short a period of time?

Thoughts appreciated.

Panthersoul

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Roscoe, IL, USA
my first coupel weeks were similar. but lessened through time if i didnt touch a cigarette. it could be possible as a quitting analog problem. those volts though. idk much about other models. my new itaste vv 3.0 goes up to 5. and most of my coils atm can only handl 3.7 to be safe and not burn. you could have it to hot.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
How easy is it to overdo it when vaping?

Pretty easy, but it depends on the user. When I chain vape I tend to hit it hard for 30 min to an hour... then take a break for several hours. The most important thing here is to remember to STAY HYDRATED. That means water, and only water. All in all just use common sense here, vaping is pleasurable :D But with all things in life, moderation is the key. I won't tell you how much or how little to vape. Only you know the answer to that.

I guess my question is, am I vaping too much on these nights? Is it possible to overdo it. I mean, I hit the thing quite a bit. Not constantly, of course, and I take breaks, but still quite consistently say for four hours.

Possibly. Again, need to listen to what your body is telling you. Harder to do when drinking at a bar, which only compounds the possibility of becoming dehydrated. Vaping is known to dehydrated the mucous membrane, makes sense that it would dry out your lungs as well, which could even be the tight/sore feeling you get from vaping too much in a short period. Simple fix, really. Take a break. Drink lots of water. :)

Could the problem still be sensitivity to particular juice? (I just ordered some alcohol-free stuff from Virgin Vapors and look forward to seeing if that helps.)

That's hard to say for sure, I myself have a severe sensitivity to PG. I hate that stuff. Virgin Vapor has some good 100% VG juices, depending on the batch you get. Velvet Cloud I have yet to try, I actually just ordered two bottles from them yesterday but will be waiting a while yet for delivery. Hmm... I believe I've heard some people mention they don't sit too well with VG as well, could be wrong though. If you still have problems with 100% VG, try cutting it with A.) Distilled water, B.) PGA, C.) PG. If you can find a good ratio that works for you (perhaps 50VG/50PG?? Good starting point anyway) then you should be good to go. Typically 100% VG is the smoothest, easiest going base you can get though.

I did some research on USP VG before getting into vaping. I found this study and really helped to satisfy my curiosity and lay the facts out. It's quite benign and safe. PG, on the other hand, not quite so much. Both are far better than analogs though, safety/health wise.

"Glycerol is one of the most benign organic liquids known to man. It is hype-allergenic, non-carcinigeic, non teratogenic and non-mutagenic. It is metabolized quite easily by a process called beta-oxidation. This process results in the production of CO2 and H2O and is a quite normal, common, and natural catabolic process."

Check it out: The safety of vegetable glycerin (VG) when inhaled through an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette). Studies on the effect of the inhalation of vegetable glycerin through a personal vaporizer.

Could it be too much heat? (I just got my eGo v6 and mostly vape on 4 volts with occasional 5 volt and 6 volts vapes just to feel the difference)

What device are you using to vape? What ohms is it?

Or is it most likely just too much vaping in too short a period of time?

Almost certainly this is a large factor here. It's hard but sometimes you just have to put your PV down. Let yourself become hydrated, give your tastebuds a rest. It'll be there waiting for you when you're ready again. All in all, nobody here is a doctor and can't say exactly what's going on. If you feel it's becoming an issue you should stop vaping and make an appointment with the Doc. Hope you feel better!

Last edited:
Reactions: haleysdadda

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
I am a bad chain vaper (Was a bad smoker all right) I use the device as a third arm (too big to be my sixth finger) I feel sometimes my lungs are full But with what vapor? it is not likely. One can not keep vapor in the lungs because we are exposed to vapor many times. Baths, fogs, kitchens etc
My best idea is the aroma has some effect. PG is not good for me still I use a little with my liquids Sometimes I feel a full lung, sometimes a sore throat I cough for example with cappucino aroma which I use with my unliked liquids change into. The smell is wanderfull, the liquid is saved but I cough. nothing from lungs but throat. So I think mostly the aromas are the reason

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Also keep in Mind that as a smoker your lungs expanded past a regular size lung due the fact your lungs needed to keep oxygen flowing as properly as possible, once u quit smoking over time they well reduce a certain percentage this can be a possible cause of discomfort and anxiety, but this is normal and well even itself out.

By the way, just to give some definition to how much I’m vaping, let’s just say that in a single day/night of vaping (starting noon, ending 9:30 pm) I’m not emptying the blank carto that came with my eGo v6. I take your point that nobody can say what's too much, but seems like others must be using much more heavily w/out ill effect.

I suspect it's the dehydration you mention, aggravated by my habit of inconsistent use, so that my throat and lungs never get used to the stuff. Sound plausible? (Will also try staying hydrated and maybe too breathing some steam to get rid of the problem; my wife as this little steamer for her sinus probs!)

Also keep in Mind that as a smoker your lungs expanded past a regular size lung due the fact your lungs needed to keep oxygen flowing as properly as possible, once u quit smoking over time they well reduce a certain percentage this can be a possible cause of discomfort and anxiety, but this is normal and well even itself out.

I can see that for some folks, but for me, long before ever vaping, I have always quit smoking every year for January and February, and because my smoking habit itself has always been light, essentially social, I've never had anything but mildly good effects from my annual abstinence.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Looks like I'm using 4.5 Ohm blank cartomizers. Does this mean hot? Cool?

4.5 is on the higher-end of ohms, firing that at 4 to 6 volts is pretty much exactly where you want to be. Most people adjust to taste, if you get any burning flavor at all, lower it a few .1s at a time until it feels as smooth as can be.

Also what Taylon mentioned is very true. I wasn't sure if it would be an issue for you though, I also smoked around 20 cigs a week and experienced no problems when switching to vaping. However it is certainly something to keep in mind, as the issue could easily resolve itself over time.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hello Drumstick and welcome to ECF! Nobody here can tell you why your lungs feel sore. We can only speculate. If you're worried, please see a doctor.

You can try switching to a PG/VG blend, I like 80/70% PG eliquids, for instance. Try vaping unflavored for a while to eliminate the possibility that it's some flavoring in your juice that is irritating your throat and lungs. Cinnamon is a known respiratory irritant. You can also try vaping without inhaling and see if that helps. You'll still get the nicotine--with vaping, most of nic absorption occurs in the mouth and the nasal passages. Try vaping like you would smoke a cigar or a pipe.

But if that doesn't help--consult your physician.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I can see that for some folks, but for me, long before ever vaping, I have always quit smoking every year for January and February, and because my smoking habit itself has always been light, essentially social, I've never had anything but mildly good effects from my annual abstinence.

My post was a generic statement and not meant personally for u OP.

You are addicted to nicotine just the same, and getting nic out of your system is hard on the ole body.

PS the average liquid vaped per day is 3-4 ml.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Don't know how much you're drinking in those 3 days but...
"So if you drink 200 millilitres of beer, the end result is 200 millilitres of water. But you don't urinate just 200 millilitres of urine. No! You urinate a total of about 320 millilitres of urine."
200 mm= 7/8 cup or 6.7 ounces.
Vaping alone is very dehydrating and when coupled with large quantities of alcohol or caffeine the stress on the body is quite high.

By the way, just to give some definition to how much I’m vaping, let’s just say that in a single day/night of vaping (starting noon, ending 9:30 pm) I’m not emptying the blank carto that came with my eGo v6. I take your point that nobody can say what's too much, but seems like others must be using much more heavily w/out ill effect.

I suspect it's the dehydration you mention, aggravated by my habit of inconsistent use, so that my throat and lungs never get used to the stuff. Sound plausible? (Will also try staying hydrated and maybe too breathing some steam to get rid of the problem; my wife as this little steamer for her sinus probs!)

Thanks again. While I’ve got your ear of folks who understand my three night a week habit, I’m wondering if I’m better off with cartidges or a tank. In particular was thinking of the Kanger ProTank or Kanger Mini ProTank 2 from Virgin V. website, assuming this will fit on my eGo v6.

My tobacco use went something like Thursday night, 10-12 cigs; Friday 1-5 cigs; Saturday 10-12.

I realize there are many variables, but does this strike you as a job for cartridge or a tank?

(Will Kanger fit my eGo v6?)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
This is Wednesday, for example, and I haven’t vaped since Sunday around noon, but my lungs are still hurting a bit.

If your lungs are sore for 4+ days, please see a doctor.

Nobody can diagnose you on the internet. The fact that you have been vaping may be totally coincidental, there are a lot of upper respiratory and sinus viruses and bacterial infections going around right now.

Please get checked out.

I would not want strangers on an internet forum "guessing" about what is wrong with my lungs and sinuses, even if they are well-meaning.

Thanks for the link above on how to inhale ecigs. Guess I have some learning to do, but I hope somebody out there can tell me that they inhale their VG ecigs without lung/throat pain the next day, because for me finding that I can’t inhale is pretty much a deal breaker—if I could satisfy my urge that way, I’d just smoke cigars, which I have never inhaled.

Any happy inhalers out there?

I mean, after all, how can so many reviewers talk about throat hit if we’re not inhaling?

BTw, I have been using 24mg nic juice. Could that be a sig. contributor to my problem?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Thanks for the link above on how to inhale ecigs. Guess I have some learning to do, but I hope somebody out there can tell me that they inhale their VG ecigs without lung/throat pain the next day, because for me finding that I can’t inhale is pretty much a deal breaker—if I could satisfy my urge that way, I’d just smoke cigars, which I have never inhaled.

Any happy inhalers out there?

I mean, after all, how can so many reviewers talk about throat hit if we’re not inhaling?

BTw, I have been using 24mg nic juice. Could that be a sig. contributor to my problem?

Try buying a small inexpensive bottle of VG from your local pharmacy and dilute a SMALL amount to 18 mg. Most new vapers start at 18 or 24 mg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread