Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
821d1a111477309d4b212c75886ba4ae.jpg

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
OK, wanted to say that I finally figured out the trick to dying 3D prints. Still probably easier to just let iMaterialise or wherever do it, but they fussed at me last time I tried with sprued parts. So 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 TBS dish liquid, bring to a boil, mix in one package of Rits dye, keep stirring and add in the 3D parts. Turn off heat and let it soak overnight for dark colors. The next day, I boiled it one more time just to really set in the color as I was using black and it was looking more dark blue the night before when I tested it. When you remove them from the dye, they need to be rinsed and dried before coating. Going to coat and build it shortly, so will have some pics tomorrow of a new project.

Meanwhile, I did manage to finish up another very long waited project. My nutcase/GDIBI mod. I made the nuppin topper and button along with a matching drip tip not in this pic. Vapes beautifully. After those pics, is one in of my setup to drill the 45 degree air inlets for the atty topper. Yes, my work area is a freakn mess. I need to seriously do some cleanup and vacuum it out. Is what it is....milling/turning makes a mess.

Anyway, the pics are a little crappy as it's rainy here today and had to use the flash. Still need to polish up the mod a little more too. The caps are supposed to be polished bronze, but you can hardly tell the difference in those and polished brass. Really debating whether or not to do a chemical patina on the caps. But probably won't do it. Originally I wanted the red/brown patina you see on bronze statues, but just don't know anymore.

PICS!

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Weird, ECF isn't sending me emails for my own freakn thread....LOL.

Anyway, here are a few renderings of a new DNA75 Color Mod I designed. 3D print is on the way. You can actually see it better with this link to the 3D rotatable image: http://a360.co/2pnk6Zm

Gee, where have I heard that before???

Ohh, and nice looking Mod BTW. (for a squonker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread