Status
Not open for further replies.

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Made this a couple of days ago. I tried to measure the EM crystals so I could easily repeat the process if it worked out. Reading the initial description, it sounded like you are making a roughly 30% EM solution in PG. I measured out 3 grams of EM, then added 7ml of PG (from what I've read that should yield 10ml of solution). Heated and shook this to death and it finally all dissolved. Came back to it the next day and sure enough it looked like I was growing rocks in the bottle. It had nearly all re-crystallized.

I then made a 20% solution. The next day this solution looked good, just a few crystals near the bottom of the bottle. Okay, so to me it seems that a 20% solution is just about the max that can stay suspended in PG. Seems easy to repeat this process in the future.

Now the bad part. I mixed this as directed, 30% EM solution/70% VG. I don't have any sweetener (really don't like Sucralose) so I tried it as is. I have to say, I don't get that EM, burnt sugary smell that I expected. In fact, after a couple of drags it started to taste bitter, especially on the tip of my tongue. Maybe it needs to steep, but since there's not much in there I don't think that's the issue. Perhaps the sweetness will round it out, but I can't imagine it taking away the bitterness. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I just missed the mark somewhere in the process.

Oh, by the way, I source all the ingredients form ECX. Been getting my PG and VG nic base from them for a while now and have always had good results. I mixed other recipes from the same batch of PG/VG and they all taste like they should, so I'm confident they're good.

bugler

Jan 29, 2013
nc
Strange that you get bitter on the tip of the tongue, your bitter taste buds are at the back of the tongue, sweet are at the tip, with salty right behind them.

Anyway, to me, burnt is bitter. Think charred meat off the grill, the char is bitter, the fat is sweet, the flesh umami. So in that sense, going with the classic description of em as burnt sugar, I always get a bit of bitter from it at any concentration above just a hint.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Made this a couple of days ago. I tried to measure the EM crystals so I could easily repeat the process if it worked out. Reading the initial description, it sounded like you are making a roughly 30% EM solution in PG. I measured out 3 grams of EM, then added 7ml of PG (from what I've read that should yield 10ml of solution). Heated and shook this to death and it finally all dissolved. Came back to it the next day and sure enough it looked like I was growing rocks in the bottle. It had nearly all re-crystallized.

I then made a 20% solution. The next day this solution looked good, just a few crystals near the bottom of the bottle. Okay, so to me it seems that a 20% solution is just about the max that can stay suspended in PG. Seems easy to repeat this process in the future.

Now the bad part. I mixed this as directed, 30% EM solution/70% VG. I don't have any sweetener (really don't like Sucralose) so I tried it as is. I have to say, I don't get that EM, burnt sugary smell that I expected. In fact, after a couple of drags it started to taste bitter, especially on the tip of my tongue. Maybe it needs to steep, but since there's not much in there I don't think that's the issue. Perhaps the sweetness will round it out, but I can't imagine it taking away the bitterness. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I just missed the mark somewhere in the process.

Oh, by the way, I source all the ingredients form ECX. Been getting my PG and VG nic base from them for a while now and have always had good results. I mixed other recipes from the same batch of PG/VG and they all taste like they should, so I'm confident they're good.

That's strange. I have no clue why you would taste bitter but well, we all know that 10 people could vape 1 and the same flavor and the likely result would be 10 different descriptions. Maybe try it with a 10% EM mix and see what happens. I didn't care for the weaker mixture but that doesn't mean you won't.

BikerBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
VA
No, it isn't 90% VG, it's 70%. I can see why you are confused, I accidentally added the two VG totals together at the end. It should be 5.2 ml plain VG. My apologies.

Here's the correct recipe:
Luscious 10 ml 18 mg nic

1.8 ml VG 100 mg nicotine
3 ml EM (mixed as above instructions. This replaces plain PG)
5.2 ml plain VG

I've tried this without VG. It was VERY bitter. Taste 1 drop of the flavoring straight, and you'll see what I mean. You really need 70% VG (or more) as the VG adds some little bit of sweetness. TFA Sweetener could help too. This recipe is very high EM (10%), so maybe you would prefer it with less of the 'flavoring'.

fogMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
First, you must mix a batch of ethyl maltol. I mix 30 mls at a time and pour app. 1/3 bottle of crystals and fill with PG. It takes a lot of shaking and soaking in hot water to dissolve all the crystals.

Lyndagayle - Thanks for posting this. I think I know what the "well known juice" is but not totally sure. I guess I'll find out.

I have looked over the posts and can probably do some math and figure this out, but it's easier to just ask -- when you say 1/3 of a bottle of EM crystals, what size bottle are you referring to?

JAYMZ

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
San Jose CA
I always use a 30ml glass bottle when making my 30% EM solution and I DO NOT use PG, mine is all VG. I have tried adding 1ml of Everclear to help dissolve the EM, it also thins the VG a bit. Once you heat up the EM it all dissolves, I then make my Luscious right away. Once you add your warm EM to the VG and nic it will not recrystallize. My left over EM in my glass bottle does recrystallize and that's fine. When I make my next batch I just reheat shake and mix.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Lyndagayle - Thanks for posting this. I think I know what the "well known juice" is but not totally sure. I guess I'll find out.

I have looked over the posts and can probably do some math and figure this out, but it's easier to just ask -- when you say 1/3 of a bottle of EM crystals, what size bottle are you referring to?

I mix mine in a glass 30ml bottle.

Last edited:

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Queensland banana bender land of OZ
hi Lynda I made your mix on the week end...I guessed in a 30ml bottle..a 1/3 was 2 teaspoons...well it looks like a 1/3 in bottle...I soaked in hot water endless shaking...for last few days...I have about 1/2 cm of chrystals that keep forming on the bottom...do you think 2 teaspoons were to much...I tasted it on its own..its a bit bitter...I make your luscious mix...it taste sorta like ry4...

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
hi Lynda I made your mix on the week end...I guessed in a 30ml bottle..a 1/3 was 2 teaspoons...well it looks like a 1/3 in bottle...I soaked in hot water endless shaking...for last few days...I have about 1/2 cm of chrystals that keep forming on the bottom...do you think 2 teaspoons were to much...I tasted it on its own..its a bit bitter...I make your luscious mix...it taste sorta like ry4...

I usually have a few crystals to reform too. Just let them stay in the bottle and use them for part of your next mix. It's much quicker to mix if you nuke it for 10 seconds, no longer. Less hassle that way.

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
thanks Lynda...also im wondering...I used all Pg in the Em mix....as in your recipe..but in the luscious mix I used 36mg nic..as I vape at 6mg... in a 10ml bottle I put 1.2ml of Em mix, 2mls of 36mg nic. 7mls of Vg..could the lower nic level be the reason im getting a Ry4 taste.?..I didn't like it at first...but its growing on me now;) its not bad.......oops silly me I meant I mixed in a 20ml bottle..room for shaking...;)

Last edited:

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
thanks Lynda...also im wondering...I used all Pg in the Em mix....as in your recipe..but in the luscious mix I used 36mg nic..as I vape at 6mg... in a 10ml bottle I put 1.2ml of Em mix, 2mls of 36mg nic. 7mls of Vg..could the lower nic level be the reason im getting a Ry4 taste.?..I didn't like it at first...but its growing on me now;) its not bad.......oops silly me I meant I mixed in a 20ml bottle..room for shaking...;)

I guess that's possible. Did you use VG nic? If not, that would alter the recipe. You're basically adding 30% EM solution into 70% VG (which includes your desired nic base. It just never turns out right trying to mix this one using PG base nic because the flavor level would vary, depending on your nic level.

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
I guess that's possible. Did you use VG nic? If not, that would alter the recipe. You're basically adding 30% EM solution into 70% VG (which includes your desired nic base. It just never turns out right trying to mix this one using PG base nic because the flavor level would vary, depending on your nic level.
I see , yes I did use 100% pg nic 36mg.:facepalm:.I have vg nic...ill try another mix....

tru2dgame

Feb 28, 2012
Virginia, USA
Tried this, light and fluffy. Great as a palate cleanser as you noted. I added a couple drops of sweetner to make it pop. Would you advise vinegar or lemon juice also? I loved how you threw the tidbit in about the 30ml EM solution having extra crystals in the morning. Mine did have some in the bottom so I knew I did it right (as in enough EM) =)

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I tried this recipe and it has way too much EM in it. Gives it a chemical taste. Also the throat hit isn't there, not even close to Ecopure.

No, it isn't 90% VG, it's 70%. I can see why you are confused, I accidentally added the two VG totals together at the end. It should be 5.2 ml plain VG. My apologies.

Here's the correct recipe:
Luscious 10 ml 18 mg nic

1.8 ml VG 100 mg nicotine
3 ml EM (mixed as above instructions. This replaces plain PG)
5.2 ml plain VG

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
I tried this recipe and it has way too much EM in it. Gives it a chemical taste. Also the throat hit isn't there, not even close to Ecopure.

You can always cut back on the EM if you feel it's too much. I can tell you for certain that the ingredients in this recipe are the very same ingredients used in Ecopure Rich, so if you are fond of that juice, just play around with the amounts until you get it where you want it. I used the ingredients in Rich and took clues from another vendor's favorite of mine and came up with my own version. That's the beauty of DIY, you can adjust according to your own taste.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Ecopure uses VG diluted with water, the amount is apparently a secret. And it's not regular distilled water either. They use de-ionized water which is a separate process from distillation. Aside from the taste, I just can't replicate the throat hit from Ecopure ... kind of frustrating.... At 15 mg, it has a better TH than any pg liquid at 18.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
You might be referring to Malty/Tofee. They reportedly use the same base as Ecopure with added pg ... Have tried them both. No comparison to Eco.

You can always cut back on the EM if you feel it's too much. I can tell you for certain that the ingredients in this recipe are the very same ingredients used in Ecopure Rich, so if you are fond of that juice, just play around with the amounts until you get it where you want it. I used the ingredients in Rich and took clues from another vendor's favorite of mine and came up with my own version. That's the beauty of DIY, you can adjust according to your own taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread