M401/2 manual battery experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whozshort

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying thank you to all the the helpful members on this forum who have made my foray into the world of PV's an easier one. Definitely one of the most friendly, informative forums I've ever been on! Thanks to you all.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has used the manual batteries for the m401/2 and any feedback in regards to more consistent vapor/hits when compared to the automatic batteries. I'll give you a bit of background into my situation:

I started with ecigs in the summer of 2009 and purchased a m402 kit. The first couple weeks were fine but I started noticing very inconsistent vapor even after dripping or using fresh carts. Also, I ordered some ejuice from China and I found it to be really rank (is ejuice supposed to smell horribly when in the bottle btw??). These two factors threw me from the bandwagon. In addition to this, one of my major reasons for getting a PV was to help me get through without analogs, especially when going to clubs/concerts etc. Reading up on the automatic batteries tendencies to go off to loud bass did not help my cause.

So, I am at a crossroads. I really need to get off the analogs, and I'm narrowing it down to two choices: stick with the M402 and get some manual batts (provided they are more consistent) or follow the lead of a lot of others on ECF and move to a 510. I love the size of my M402, and now that it has a PPC (which I think looks more pocket friendly than the PCC for the 510), it would be the perfect ecig for my lifestyle.

I need to keep my eyes on the goal of quitting analogs once and for all. Some posters say if you are a medium to heavy smoker, get a 510 and you will forget about analogs. Others obviously are extremely happy with the M series. If anyone can share their experiences with the M401/2 manual batteries I would greatly appreciate it. Opinions from those who have also used a 510 - even better!! I am trying to put myself in the best position possible to quit smoking.

Sorry for the long post, and mods, if you feel this is in the wrong section (sounds like a newbie post lol), my apologies and please move. Thanks everyone for listening.

Best Regards,

Whozshort

sheep

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hey neighbor! Unfortunately I can't offer any experience with the M40x batteries, although I have a couple on the way. My advice would be to get the 510 and keep both. I say this because that's what I have, an M402 and a 510. I love them both but they both have their strong points and not so strong points, and I find they complement each other well. Typically I use the M402 in the PCC when I'm out and about, and the 510 at home.

I started with the 510 and it's what kept me off analogs, although at first I was not blowing huge clouds of vapour. Had minimal vapour and taste, but that all changed in the second week. There is a bit of a technique but once you get it they are very fun to vape.

Best of luck getting off analogs. I think if you're ready to do it, the 510 and the M402 together can really help you do it.

whozshort

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thanks sheep - good to see another Vancouverite on here, it's madness in our city with the Olympics going on and all the festivities, hey?!

That is some good advice. Maybe I will get a 510 and try and figure out which PV will be my main vaper. Then, I'll get a PCC for whichever one that is so I am at least being somewhat cost effective lol.

And if you do remember this thread and can share your experiences with the manual batts when you get them in, I'd love to hear any feedback you might have!

Thanks again, and hope you're enjoying our electric city right now!

Cheers,

WS

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I have two 401 manual batts that are still working well after a couple months, maybe more. Some people were having trouble w/ the switch sticking but I've heard quirks will all the models. I'm .... about keeping the batts clean so that def helps. One thing about manual batts is they tend to need recharging sooner. This is due to holding down the button for different amounts of time. I tend to take longer draws on manuals.

You could always get a 510 and keep your 402. There's plenty of adapters that can change one into the other. You can get a 401 batt to 510 atty, 510 batt to 401 atty, etc. That way you have the best of both and can still use parts between them.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Manual m401 batteries are great, plain and simple.

I will say that I've had a couple of batteries go out on me- one had a sticky switch, both the rubber button itself would get stuck inside the casing, and then the actual switch beneath went out and killed an atty that was on it overnight (don't leave them on, 7-8 bucks burned up because I didn't take 3 seconds to take it off).
2 other batteries had charging issues almost immediately after I unboxed them from the same kit, seemed like a batch issue or something got hit hard in shipping. I got them replaced and the new ones worked like a charm.

None of the manual batteries have issue with sound like the autos often do, but it does require the (IMHO) awkward button pushing. A small price to pay when I'm out at the bar or doing my deejay shows, but it's enough that I still use my autos at my dayjob and when I'm driving (more likely using my auto passthrough with car adapter when driving though- just make sure it's rated at least 1000mA/1A on the usb port).

I don't have a PCC for either, but as I understand it the large 401 PCC does accept manual batteries as well as autos, it just isn't quite large enough to hold a fully assembled unit (batt+atty+cart) like it can with a m402, but the sizing will accept charge for either as long as you can squeeze your fingers a bit to get the short m402 out of the slot.
Similarly, the m402 charger will accept m403 batteries but requires some finger-squeezing, but m401 batteries stick out too far to close the lid (screw in charging port doesn't require the lid to close, but that's not very pocketable).

Hope that answers some questions!

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Hmm. This may not be terribly helpful, but I'm just getting going with primarily the m402 and the two auto batteries in my black kit purchased last week from one of the suppliers here function flawlessly. A stainless purchased loose in the same order was being a good bit more fiddly until I discovered covering one of the atomizer intake slots with a thumb solves all the problems - apparently the sensor (microphone?) is tuned to a different 'pitch,' whether manufacturing variance or because it was expecting the old '2-hole' atomizer.

As I've been crowing about, getting some Johnson Creek liquid solved all my flavor concerns and seems to last a little longer in the cartridge, so that's something to try as well (definitely shot to the top of my 'things to start with' list, but you need to know what strengths you want before you order).

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
I have M401 manual and auto batteries. I do take the manuals when I go to a bar or someplace with loud music! I haven't had a problem with them at all and I have had mine for four months now.

I also have 510 auto and manual batteries. I haven't had issues with them either (not including the one I dropped and the one I dropped in a puddle!)

Both kits have their strong points and I use them both - albeit in different situations. Good luck with whatever you end up with!

:)

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
We use both the 510 and 401. As posted above, I'd say both have their strengths. And both have been very reliable for us. We have auto and manual batts for both, but hardly ever use the auto batts anymore. Just so much better control with the manuals. No problems with either batteries, though.

IMO, the 510 = better vapor, the 401 = better taste

If you can, get a 510 kit and also keep your 401/2.

whozshort

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Awesome - thank you ALL for your feedback! I am going to keep the 402 but I laid my eyes on the Ego and have been sold! If the Ego turns into my all the time vaper, I'll be giving my 402 to a friend who would not go out and purchase an ecig on their own, but could use the help in quitting smokes. One of the benefits of collecting ecigs is being able to help others get off the analogs :)

Thanks again everyone!

m401 user

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
well, i moved from autos to manuals naturally, because both my autos died slowly after experienced several liquid leaks. That´s the number one issue why i will never use autos again : i simply can´t make sure that liquid never leaks into battery, so every auto is going slowly to Vallhalla, and this never happens with my manuals. Liquid leaks to them often, nevermind, i just blow it out, and vape on. Plus, no problems with loud music. Highly recommended.
Another pros: very useful for dry burn atty cleaning, however autos can be used too, you just don´t look too sexy while blowing your lungs off into the small hole to get the coil red hot. Possible, but messy.
Very smooth draw, you just don´t need reach any under-pressure level to switch on, just push and draw as hard as you like (and how actual atty airflow performs)
Only con: lasts approx. 20% less than autos, i don´t get it why, maybe operating manual button drives off more energy than mic operation... however, not an issue for me.
Can´t comment on 510, but bigger vapor production i personally consider just as "show", only relevant "parameters" for me are flavor and throath hit,
both absolutely satisfies me with 401 while dripping 24mg/ml.
Hope this helps a bit.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I've had a few auto batts since the beginning of feb, got a couple of manuals a few weeks ago.

I still tend to use the autos more than the manuals. So long as the switch is functioning properly, its just sooo convenient to not have to hold it with the button pressed while taking a drag. I vape while driving and walking and prefer to just pop the mini/supermini in my mouth, release my hold while taking a drag, and then swipe it away from my mouth. I also prefer the smaller 402 and 403 sized batt since its easier to no hand those than the 401 and they fit my PCC.

Battery life is an issue, but I work with computers and a USB port is never far away in my usual daily routine. I hardly ever use the PCC for charging, its mostly just a carrying case for me.

But I'm still figuring this stuff out really. I'm looking at getting a battery mod that takes cartomizers where both the battery and the cart should last me all day. That may change my habits and preferences some. TBD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread