m401 Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 1, 2009
UK / US
www.liberty-flights.co.uk
I believe the blue wrapper batteries are smoore originals, I do have a SLB 401 here, the box at least, but I can't remember if those batteries come in a blue wrapper, I don't think they do though.

SLB M40x auto batteries do not always work with Smoore M40x atomizers, the light will activate but the atomizer will not heat up, I would say 50% of the batteries do this. How do I know this? I bought a load of smoore atomizers as they are better than the SLB M40x atomizers and a load of SLB m40x auto batteries as genuine Smoore autos fire a bit easy so I wanted to make the most reliable M401 kit but it didn't work out that way. In the end I had to return all the SLB M40x auto batteries and ship in Smoore M40x manual batteries in. So, those two M40x's are not totally compatible. The batteries are hard to tell apart but the atomizers, whilst having the same thread, are easy to spot, the SLB bridge is thinner and comes to a point more than the smoore goods. You probably want the smoore atomizer and thus a smoore manual battery, from my professional opinion.

I am quite sure that HG sell only smoore goods.

Oh, one final point, the SLB M40x parts are a lot less expensive than the smoore parts :)

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
LF, I think I must have gotten some SLB 40x batts. The finish on the black ones was a bit diff than the Smoore ones I had. That could be a batch issue though? I wish there was some way to tell for sure!

I now have 4 batts that did not die a natural death. A natural death would be to slowly not hold a charge as long and then just stop charging.
Joe

Mar

Aug 4, 2010
NC
So, 2 of my 4 batteries have sorta died. Well one is dead for sure however taking it apart has reviled to me an issue with these batteries. The center post sits in some kind of rubber/silicone plug. Its not a very tight fit. Then a very small, short and stiff wire runs from the battery to the plug. When you screw an atomizer on it and off of it over and over again the plug turns just a little bit. After awhile it turns enough to detach from the wire.

When I first seen this I tried to use a needle to move the wire back up to see if I could make it connect again, I had no chance to solder it. When I moved it just a little tiny bit it just snapped. I took the whole thing apart thinking I might be able to solder it from the back with more room but that top plug is sealed up nice it tight beyond my ability to take apart and still put back together.

After seeing this I took my second dead batt and I just used a paper clip in the hole and turned it a very little bit counter clockwise and put an atomizer on it and it started working again. I am sure this will not last long.

So I believe the battery having a short life might have something to do with this. I was also thinking it might be from having mix and match manufactures for the same thing, maybe off by just enough to push that center peg to much? One of my kits has numbers on the Battery and Atomizer. MiT1005 on the atty and MiT0911 on the Batt, the other kit has no numbers on it. These are located on the center post of the batt and atty. The MiT numbers came from Prosmoke and the ones with no numbers came from Litecig.

FYI - I seen early in this post someone talking about using the Ego with an M401 atty. Litecig sells a thread adapter thats got enough length to it to use the ego and the cone and still have the atty out just enough to dip and drip and yes it works and tastes great.

Gah, that was longer then I meant it to be, I would be interested in knowing of anyone else has manufacture numbers on the batts and/or attys and where you got them from.

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
Nice post Mar! Not to long... I wanted more! Neat that you found this issue.

And neat that you tried a 40x atty on an Ego. Now I need to get an adapter for my 3.7 dse905.

I see no numbers on any of my 40x stuff. I am now leaning towards it being a Smoore batch issues w/ the 40x stuff that looks almost exactly the same. I would love to be corrected if I am wrong.
Joe

Abe

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 1, 2009
UK / US
www.liberty-flights.co.uk
A couple of places sell a 510 to 401, they do a 901 to 401 but I have never had one in my hands.

Then a very small, short and stiff wire runs from the battery to the plug. When you screw an atomizer on it and off of it over and over again the plug turns just a little bit. After awhile it turns enough to detach from the wire.

I read about this problem with another class of batteries, I can't remember which. There was an old thread about this so it does make sense that this is what could happen. I think there is a tendancy for some people to screw on the atty to the battery far too tight which means far too much force is required to undo it.

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
Taelon, can you warn us more about this "fire hazzard" issue?
Joe

Li-Ion batteries need to be operated in strictly defined charging and decharging circuit environments to be safe, so as Electronics Engineer I cannot recommend using other atomizers than battery factory recommended.

Maybe one of the manufacturers (not sellers) can further comment on this.

Last edited:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Li-Ion batteries need to be operated in strictly defined charging and decharging circuit environments to be safe, so as Electronics Engineer I cannot recommend using other atomizers than battery factory recommended.

Maybe one of the manufacturers (not sellers) can further comment on this.

I'm not a manufacturer or a seller, but the 901 and 401 attys are close enough in resistance... the differences are probably within the margin of error of each other... my impression is that 401s are generally a little lower in resistance (2.8) compared to 901s (3.0).

There should be no issue using 401 attys on a 901 batt or vice versa. I personally haven't done it (never owned a 901 batt), but I wouldn't blink an eye about doing it.

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
Taelon, I am not sure that the manufactures can post in this section??? Could you tell us what you know?

I do use a 401 atty on a 905 and it works great... so far. Maybe just till it blows up maybe? Till then the flavor is GREAT!
Joe

OH, VM... so lower resistance works but higher might not. Higher could drain the battery to fast? Thant makes sense to me. Thanks!!!
Joe

Last edited:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
OH, VM... so lower resistance works but higher might not. Higher could drain the battery to fast? Thant makes sense to me. Thanks!!!
Joe

Actually lower resistance would drain the battery faster. Lower resistance means more current (amps)... and more amps drains the battery faster... when hearing "low resistance", think "high current". Info about electrical equations.

A brick wall has effectively infinite resistance (very high), attach the positive terminal to one side and the negative to another side of the wall and the battery will take a very long time to drain.

A copper wire has effectively zero resistance (very low), attach the positive terminal to one side and negative to the other and the battery will drain very very quickly.

My point was that 901 and 401 attys look the basically the same from an electrical point of view since they have pretty much the same resistance.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Some manufacturers may use PTC heater elements already with non-linear resistance/temperature coefficients so the rated resistance may not sufficent to compare.

Better ask Your sellers twice before trying funny things. They can ask manufacturers.

Afaik, the resistive element in attys/cartos is a bit of nichrome wire.

Even if the atty component did come to contain a bit of PTC, the 401 vs 901 power sources (batts) are also very similar from an electrical point of view, the range of expected voltage/current outputs from each battery type overlaps with the expected range of the other.

I think i'm on pretty safe ground saying you can mix and match std 901 and 401 batts and attys w/o fear of an electrical hazard.

Paisley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
Florida
I've had 4 M402 Auto, all black finish, batteries for almost 3 months. I've used 2 exclusively and they are lasting about 4 hours of hard vaping, I started rotating in a third just to keep a spare one charged. None are overly sensitive to sound or wind (works great on the Harley).

I just received 2 M401 Auto and 2 M401 Manuals, both stainless, the Auto’s are very sensitive to movement, sound and wind and they have a single hole on the flat base (my M402’s have 2 opposing holes on the stem just below the threads).

Is the number of holes and sensitivity just a difference between of models or is it different manufacturers?

Last edited:

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
Paisley, I have two gold edition 402s that came w/ a starter kit I got back in April that are still working. They just have one side hole and I have never seen a 2 hole version. None of my autos have the sensitivity issues yours have. Some have a too light or hard draw though.

I am guessin this stuff is a quality control issue and not a knock off thing. Mine all come in the blue see through wrapper. If someone is doing knock offs they are doing a real good job.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread