MacGyvered a Dual Coil Cartomizer into a Dripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
If you have a bunch of used dual coil cartomizers (or single coil), you can modify and reuse these as drippers with minimal effort and cost. You'll need just the silicone rubber tip, a couple of inches of resistance wire and wicking material (I use cotton). First step is to remove the tube (rocking it gently back and forth), the filler material, original coil, wire and soldering materials. Next, you'll need to create your coil with short twisted legs. Using the silicone rubber tip, trap one of the legs between the center post and the hole of the rubber tip. Leave the other leg hanging on the side of the rubber tip. Now, put back the original tube making sure that the hanging coil leg is brushing with the tube. That's it. I've modified several of my spent dual coils and all of them are working great.

This is definitely a must try.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Here's a quick pencil sketch of what I did (couldn't find my camera and had to use my laptop web cam). I hope it's illustrative enough for now (I'll look for my camera on the weekend and take a picture of the actual modified cartomizers). Cheers.

TPhoto_00001.jpg

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Here are the pictures ...

On any used SmokTech dual coil cartomizer, remove tube, filler material, wick, and coil:

Remove solder, use silicone rubber mouth piece, prepare resistance wire with twisted legs:

Make coil using a toothpick, shorten legs, install coil:

Remove toothpick, thread wick through the coil, add e-liquid, and finally replace the tube:

Now you have a dripping atty that you can use when you find yourself in a pinch. Enjoy.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
The silicone is somewhat heat-resistant, although it can singe. Some flavor may be affected.

One of the reasons why I decided on using twisted legs for the coil was because the silicone rubber piece, although inert, may indeed singe. By doubling/twisting making the legs more conductive, it would make the coil (single wire/untwisted) heat up well before the legs. With all the cartos I've modded so far, I haven't seen or tasted any singeing/burning (the measured resistance for the coil ranges from 1.8 to 2.6 ohms). You could use a no-resistance wire for the legs but I don't think it is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread