Mad Hatter RDA Issues! (Hot spots!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan Vapes

Dec 21, 2015
Just picked up a Mad Hatter Genuine rda today to add to my collection! Now I feel that I can build a pretty good coil as ive been vaping on my twisted messes rda for about 4 months now and never had this issue once.

My problem is, after a few seconds I get hot spots on my coil in the mad hatter and then it catches fire if i continue to fire as expected, but im not sure whats causing it! like i say ive never had this issue on my twisted messes RDA and i do the exact same build! (Twisted 28 Gauge kanthal, 5-6 wraps 0.8-0.9 ohms)

My Build + Wick, wick is saturated plenty ( Coil is a bit off as I was moving it around seeing if that would fix the issue before I posted here, but you can get an idea of what im running)

d966b1ab60313460d123cd5874d0ceca.jpg

Shortly after firing

7dcad37f79b7302f59f89c32c29e0243.png

A Little longer

aafb68b216d410443d05076b71234c4b.png

The pictures were taken with me firing at 40w at 0.9 ohms

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
is the twisted messes a 4 post rda? a 4 post rda has more heatsink available on the positive post.

here's what to do: at the positive post, double back the leg and let it contact the part coming from the coil so it's like make a fatter wire on the leg where the coil connects to the positive post.

think heatsink

Aidan Vapes

Dec 21, 2015
is the twisted messes a 4 post rda? a 4 post rda has more heatsink available on the positive post.

here's what to do: at the positive post, double back the leg and let it contact the part coming from the coil so it's like make a fatter wire on the leg where the coil connects to the positive post.

think heatsink
Yes my twisted messes is a 4 post, okay thanks for that ill give it a try and let you know how it goes

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Remove your wicks and pulse fire your could until they heat up uniformly to orange.
If one of your coils always heats faster, then shorten the negative leg of the opposite (cooler) coil if you can.
One coil that heats faster than the other is going to feed you burnt wick.
On twisted multistrand builds it is especially important to pulse fire your coil until it heats uniformly. Without the oxide layer this produces the current won't take a predictable path through your coils.

This is a pair of Clapton's on a mad hatter right after I finished pulsing them. Notice the slight color change over the uniform shiny grey.

IMG_20160107_022717.jpg

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Your coil shouldnt be glowing when you have wick through it, regardless of being wet or dry.

If your coil is wonky where you have some wraps a little bigger than others you will create spots where the wick and coil wont meet and will produce the glowing wraps.
If your wick is coming out of your coil and has a really sharp angle as you have you can pull the wick away from the inside coil and will make the wick in this area thin causing glowing.

I would install your coil/s as Nikea has where the coil/s are centered over the airflow, fire it before installing wick, make sure it glows inside to outside, by installing your coil over the airslot your wick will come out from your coil and sit onto the deck alot straighter.

To little wick will also cause glowing but i can see it looks like you havent skimped in this area.

When wicking you can use your thumbnail to hold your coil in place if the reason for your wonky coil is from the coil being moved and manipulated whilst you wick, try to keep the coil uniform throughout, use your wrapping mandral installed into the coil as you install.

Last edited:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Just picked up a Mad Hatter Genuine RDA today to add to my collection! Now I feel that I can build a pretty good coil as ive been vaping on my twisted messes RDA for about 4 months now and never had this issue once.

My problem is, after a few seconds I get hot spots on my coil in the mad hatter and then it catches fire if i continue to fire as expected, but im not sure whats causing it! like i say ive never had this issue on my twisted messes RDA and i do the exact same build! (Twisted 28 Gauge kanthal, 5-6 wraps 0.8-0.9 ohms)

My Build + Wick, wick is saturated plenty ( Coil is a bit off as I was moving it around seeing if that would fix the issue before I posted here, but you can get an idea of what im running)

d966b1ab60313460d123cd5874d0ceca.jpg

Shortly after firing

7dcad37f79b7302f59f89c32c29e0243.png

A Little longer

aafb68b216d410443d05076b71234c4b.png

The pictures were taken with me firing at 40w at 0.9 ohms

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

Sounds as if the wick is too tight inside the coil, and the wicking can't keep up. The cotton gets dry and burns.

You want the cotton tight but still able to slide. When the wick is saturated the cotton will swelk and fit the coil perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread