Mad Vapes - BEWARE! - Credit Card stolen for fraud immediately after my first order

Status
Not open for further replies.

siampumpkin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2011
I am posting here because I am a new user so I cannot post this in the proper forum.

I recently placed my first order with madvapes to get a 510 connector and try some of their Top Vapor E-Juices. It was a small order (about $20.00) and while it was processed and shipped fast, the same day I placed the order, my credit card was used for fraud causing me substantial time getting the charges and fees:2c::2c::2c: charged by my bank for charges over my limit. I have not used this card with any other company in over 6 months, so I doubt it was stolen by any other source.:mad:

After spending hours, dealing with banks and the companies defrauded by the illegal use of my card, I contacted MADVAPES customer service with a very nice email tellling them what happened and asking them to check their security procedures. No only did they not offer me an apology or express any concern for me at all, they replied with a curt response that I should call my credit card company and cancel the card. After that I have not heard from them.

It goes without saying that I will never order from them again and by the way, all the juice flavors I ordered, Creme Brulee, Caramel Apple and Caramel Popcorn were weak in flavor and vapor production. Also, none of them tasted like the described flavor, they all just tasted like a slightly sweet, week very artificial Caramel. I also ordered Cheesecake which is ok but all their juices have a carbonated bubbliness that should only be present in a juice flavor such as cola or champagne.:mad:

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I've been using Madvapes for 7 months now and have never had an issue with them. Their orders were always promptly sent, things that went wrong were quickly amended.

That said. I do feel that their customer service is couched in a lawyer-esque speech. While they fixed the issue I had quickly, their reply to my issue was very cold and technical. Other companies I've purchased from have been a bit more personal and less formal.

Also, be aware that there's a lot of internet from Thailand to the USA. Plenty of places for someone to snag your card numbers. I can't believe that Madvapes would use your card to rack up a bunch of money. (Which, by the way, you never mentioned what it was spent on, or how much)

-X

sheryder

ECF Veteran
Siampumpkin, I am sorry you've experienced such aggravation! However, I've used Madvapes for MOST of my ecig purchases for over 19 months and have never had an issue with them or my credit card used. Only once have I had to contact them about an order and they were prompt and replaced the product without a problem. It was a bad battery charger that they have no control over anyway. Their butterscotch juice is the ONLY juice I've used in over 7 months. It is consistent and I LOVE it. Weak? Perhaps that is subjective but it suits MY taste perfectly.

My husband, who never purchases online and seldom in stores, has had his card compromised 2 times in the last 2 years. I am betting the timeline you mention is coincidental. There are lots of crooks who can get your card number with readers or whatever whether you use it or not...just carrying it with you puts you at risk. Just the luck of the draw IMHO.

Good luck with future vaping experiences :).

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
I'm sorry about your trouble. Since you and I are the same part in the world (south east asia), why don't you shop in nearer online shop such as healthcabin & heaven gifts. I never had problem with both of them, the shipping are very fast (received in 5-7 from payment), quite cheap too.

Sent from my mind using my fingers.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Run a good anti-virus package and download Malwarebytes and pay the $24 for a life time license. This enables the real time protection package. You were probably infected with a keylogger or some other malware and possibly redirected during your link to Madvapes and your keystrokes were intercepted.

I'd definitely run at least a weekly scan and use good real time malware detection on your computer. I'm thinking that you will find all sorts of offending software when you do that. Run it in Safe Mode.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Since on screen keyboards were being captured by keyloggers 5-1/2 years ago (Help - Outsmarting Keyloggers Tips, Solutions & How Tos | PCMag.com, "I tried it with a number of the commercial keyloggers that I use in antispyware testing, and it was no help at all: The simulated keystrokes were captured just as actual keystrokes would be.") I wouldn't put too much faith in them.

I have had the darndest things happen and see some of the craziest in my line of work. I had this happen to back in the day, by a key logger. I also had some one a year ago steal my bank routing number and checking account number, then they created their own fake check, with some one elses name and then some one elses address. Actually dealing with 3 different states. I live in LA, the address on the check was for TX and the bank was in Iowa. Huge mess. I do not write checks, and I do not use this checking account very often either. They went on a nice valentines day shopping spree buying big screen TV's. Luckily my bank told me what happened. Sad this stuff happens.

Okay anyways, sorry for going off into left field. I can say this, the guys at Madvapes are some pretty good guys and would never put a customer in jeopardy like that nor would they do something like that. They are a pretty reputable company in that regard. I do not care for their juices personally, but as far as them stealing your CC info and committing fraud, I would be looking elsewhere for the cause, and like others mentioned, your computer would be the first place I look. This truly does sound like a keylogger offense. I am so sorry this happened to you. Good lucky sweety.

Twinster

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Littleton, CO
Bashing a well respected company on this forum will not get you very far. Although their juice definitely does not come recommended by me, they are a very good supplier, and have been for quite awhile. Before placing the blame on someone who sells to thousands of ecig users, you may want to check your own "security procedures". I hope you get your credit card issue worked out though!

Odium

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2011
TX
I am posting here because I am a new user so I cannot post this in the proper forum.

I recently placed my first order with MADVAPES to get a 510 connector and try some of their Top Vapor E-Juices. It was a small order (about $20.00) and while it was processed and shipped fast, the same day I placed the order, my credit card was used for fraud causing me substantial time getting the charges and fees:2c::2c::2c: charged by my bank for charges over my limit. I have not used this card with any other company in over 6 months, so I doubt it was stolen by any other source.:mad:

After spending hours, dealing with banks and the companies defrauded by the illegal use of my card, I contacted MADVAPES customer service with a very nice email tellling them what happened and asking them to check their security procedures. No only did they not offer me an apology or express any concern for me at all, they replied with a curt response that I should call my credit card company and cancel the card. After that I have not heard from them.

It goes without saying that I will never order from them again and by the way, all the juice flavors I ordered, Creme Brulee, Caramel Apple and Caramel Popcorn were weak in flavor and vapor production. Also, none of them tasted like the described flavor, they all just tasted like a slightly sweet, week very artificial Caramel. I also ordered Cheesecake which is ok but all their juices have a carbonated bubbliness that should only be present in a juice flavor such as cola or champagne.:mad:

Have you considered that it may be a security issue in your computer itself and not their services at all...

I have bought from Madvapes a few times and I have never experienced a problem that they didn't respond to quickly and resolve kindly... I even bought a mod from them once and wanted to return it for refund, they allowed this and refunded the entire cost, including the cost of the 2 batteries, 2 atomizers and charger that I bought at the time I purchased the mod even though I didn't return those items...As for the juice, taste is subjective so your complaint wouldn't hold much water, but I will say that I also hate every top vapes juice I have ever tried & I have probably tried a little over a dozen lol. (though I intended to defend madvapes I couldn't help it, the juice is crap compared to the vendors that focus only on providing the best juice around and madvapes is more for hardware, parts, batteries, mods, tools, and diy junk)

Last edited:

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Bashing a well respected company on this forum will not get you very far. Although their juice definitely does not come recommended by me, they are a very good supplier, and have been for quite awhile. Before placing the blame on someone who sells to thousands of ecig users, you may want to check your own "security procedures". I hope you get your credit card issue worked out though!

He's not bashing just stating a fact. If you read the post it was a credit card that hasn't been used in six months. It was used at the mentioned vendor and within 24 hours there were fraudulent charges. He did not place blame on them just said it looked suspicious and when he contacted Madvapes their response was less than helpful and he seemed to indicate they didn't show any concern that there might be a problem on their end. So before you bash the OP you should read the post carefully and get your facts straight also.

kickitback

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2009
NC
your card can be stolen at any moment anywhere, not a big deal, call the CC company and cancel it and get whatever charges used on it back, why you make it sound like you wasted days on it ???
i been buying from madvapes for about a year and 4 months without any issues. you cant expect too much of a personal response from them since they are busy processing hundreds of orders. Some people will always have negative things to say, if its not the customer service its the juice or the color of the sky that day.
I can understand if it was some new low key company but not madvapes. I don't know anybody at their company or associate with them in anyway other then spending my money on their products.
You bought $20 worth, what kind of customer service response did you expected - treated like a king? they suggested you to contact your CC company and thats what you need to do, move on. If you don't like their juice don't buy from them but i got news for you, you will spend way more then $20 before you will find juice you like and even then your taste will change.

Again, normally i will sit back and read but Madvapes is one of three companies i buy from and extremely happy, best prices on batts and atty's,fastest shipping ever and great customer service.

Odium

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2011
TX
Thanks for your concern but this is a card that I keep locked away and do not carry. I do carry several others and none of them has been compromised. :2cool:

How is your computer protected? How long has it been since you last reinstalled windows? Do you use a wireless connection and is it secure? (wireless connections are the worst, dozen of freeware packet sniffers out there can easily assist someone in stealing your credit card information as well as anything else)

I wouldn't use my credit cards on that computer again until I had made sure everything was completely secure!

siampumpkin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2011
I appreciate your comments and as far as asking for a refund for the juices, I did not do that or intend to do that. I understand taste is a personal thing and I assume the risk I may not like a juice. That is why I try small amounts first before buying a larger amount. As far as it being grabbed on the computer side, that is very unlikely as I have been professionally working in the computer industry for over 25 years and understand fully how to protect my computer. I always use SSL encryption when placing any order or even doing email online. I use currently updated virus, spyware, malware and firewall protection on my computer and personal network so I think that is a very unlikely. I did break my own rule of only using a protected payment service like PayPal to make a purchase but I really wanted that connector and every other site seems to always be out of them. In my message to them I did not accuse or blame them but wanted them to look at the possibility and address the issue, not just cast me aside as if my business meant nothing to them. I guess it did since it was a small amount. I sure won't spend my money with them again.

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback and comments. Thanks. :toast:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks for your concern but this is a card that I keep locked away and do not carry. I do carry several others and none of them has been compromised. :2cool:

You can keep the card locked away, but that doesn't prevent someone from stealing the number the one time you use it on the internet. Take the advice of many and perform multiple scans on your computer using several AV and MW packages. It's for your own good. You might be surprised at what you find.

Paypal is also a good alternative if you can get an account from your location.

siampumpkin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2011
You can keep the card locked away, but that doesn't prevent someone from stealing the number the one time you use it on the internet. Take the advice of many and perform multiple scans on your computer using several AV and MW packages. It's for your own good. You might be surprised at what you find.

Paypal is also a good alternative if you can get an account from your location

I used to work in the computer field directly with credit card and check processing equipment. Making a check takes from anyone's account takes about 2 minutes. All someone needs is the account number as the routing number is easy to look up on the Federal Reserve ACH database. I was just sharing my experience. I looked at all the possibilities and all things being equal the only possible link is someone at their company. Unless it is a one man operation and by the number of orders they claim to process which is thousands a month, they must have a lot of people working for them. Perhaps they have someone new who is dishonest in someway? Since I live overseas and the fraudulent transaction occurred in the United States, much closer to Mad Vapes than to me, I can only look to them for an explanation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread