Madvapes is admitting to being hacked.

Discussion in 'MadVapes' started by BigBaby, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBaby

BigBaby Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just received an email from madvapes......thanks a lot guys , for letting someone steal my info and canceling my order.

2. iceman68

iceman68 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

There's been a lot of reports lately of CC fraud. Need to be extra careful when placing orders.

At least they were forthcoming about the incident and alerted you with an email. I know that's no consolation but it sounds like they are actively working to remedy the problem.

3. supermarket

supermarket Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's a start. BIG props to Madvapes.

Now if the other 4-5 vendors who have been compromised would admit to it. Yea, whether it is their CC processor or not, it is THEIR issue to deal with......and they need to make it right.

4. BigBaby

BigBaby Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I wish I believed it. I think it sounds more like they are actively trying to cover their own *** both from a reputation and liability stand point. I am tired of it, I have already had my CC info stolen once in the last month. The E-cig industry is booming and these A-list companies are making money 24/7....if they want to play the game they need to come prepared and be spending more on security.

5. HOPS

HOPS Super Member ECF Veteran

As always, there needs to be a sarcasm button. If I am reading this as you intended, it does sound as if you are mad at madvapes. While I do not blame you at all, it is important to remember these F'ing hacker jag-offs are the ones who deserve the brunt of it. As someone who knows some IT peeps, it doesn't matter who the host site is. If someone wants your info bad enough they will get it. I think it at last says a little about MV that they at least told you. A lot of places wouldn't bother to do that. That being said, and with many other reports such as yours I will now only shop online with a prepaid card, no matter who I'm buying from (e-cig or other). Sorry to hear this man, hope a delayed order is the worst this incident brings you!

6. Faylool

Faylool Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Maybe it's a group trying to undermine the success of e cig evolution if it's a lot of e cig vendors.

7. Nonalog

Nonalog Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Received the e-mail here as well. And during my first, and probably last, order too.

Forget for a while the arguments over whether vaping is safe, risky but better than smoking, or whatnot. Seems like lately the biggest risk is ordering vaping gear in the first place. :(

8. Thrasher

Thrasher Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

easy to say, but even companies like sony and PSN as well as citi bank themselves are being hacked regularly, even china got caught hacking the pentagon its easy to blame a vendor when the actual problem lies more on the webhosting companies as they are usually the ones who offer certain processing companies. and some dont allow services they dont offer. if the hackers want in they will find a way.

what needs to happen now is serious thought to do a more secure ordering system on the little businesses that thought the world was there oyster for a 14.99 a month hosting fee.

this is a quickly expanding market and filled with people who are new to internet booms. i myself was hit 2 weeks ago. while i would like them to address the problem i dont blame them, unless they dont do anything about it. i give props to MV for admitting it happened as other vendors have already posted the " it wasnt us guaranteed and you cant prove it' replies.

the best bet right now is prepaid debt cards or places that accept paypal.

9. HOPS

Just be vigilant with your info... Don't give up on vaping... Identity theft is the fastest growing form of fraud. Kinda pisses me off that the govt issues you ssn's and other #s but doesnt protect them. You have to have a CC to do almost anything, but providers don't protect the #s either. I say anyone caught in such activities should be hanged immediately!!!

10. Ken_A

Ken_A Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    So am I the only one who got hacked once and Immediately switched to using virtual credit cards?

11. iceman68

iceman68 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

My CC got hacked once and since then I only use randomly generated secure account numbers. Once the number is linked to a specific vendor it can only be used at that vendor. Several CC issuers offer similar security features.

12. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Well at least ya have a well earned ECF nomer!

Once ya realize that it's not just the vaping industry being 'hacked', maybe you'll appreciate the efforts of our vendors to let you know of the issue... <click>

13. GetVaked

GetVaked Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I love Madvapes, great vendor. There are ways to protect yourself when ordering online anyhow.

14. djtonyb

djtonyb Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Rats. It figures I placed my first order with them this weekend. Time to watch the account online like a hawk! I'm going to reorder, because I really want the pre-made NR-R-NR coils they have... I'm lazy!

15. skyztheLynnit

skyztheLynnit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you for mentioning this.. when i first read about these issues i immediately went to virtual numbers.. it blows my mind when i read the threads about people's cards getting compromised .. and someone will chime in with.. "this is the 3rd time on the same card!" What in the hell? If you don't take measures after getting hit the first time.. then it's hard to feel sympathy.

16. Johnnie Price

Johnnie Price Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Props to Mad Vapes. I got the same email. I immediately re-ordered, because I have good fraud protection on my debit card so I'm not worried. Plus I've yet to see any suspicious activity on my account.

17. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

The vendor was hacked and you're blaming them, go figure. No wonder things are so messed up.

18. HOPS

Well, don't be to harsh... There is a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (to use legal speak) when ordering from an online vendor...

19. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

My reasonable expectation of privacy was given up long ago by tptb.

20. Rocketpunk

Rocketpunk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nope. I got one, too, after my debit card get hacked. It's the only way I buy anything vape related online anymore.

: madvapes, chase
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.