Madvapes is admitting to being hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
Just received an email from madvapes......thanks a lot guys , for letting someone steal my info and canceling my order.

"June 17, 2013

Dear madvapes Customer,

During this past weekend (6/14 2:00pm EST to 6/17 9:03am EST) our online processing incurred an unfortunate security breach. We value your business and respect the privacy of your information, which is why, as a precautionary measure, we are writing to let you know about this data security incident. This breach may or may not involve your credit card. Your order was placed however the credit card provided was never processed to pay for this order. The data accessed may have included some personal information specifically your shipping and billing address along with your credit card information. Unfortunately we needed to cancel the orders received during the security breach and have done so. You are receiving this letter because your order was canceled.

madvapes values your privacy and deeply regrets that this incident occurred. Upon us discovering this we immediately took the necessary steps to implement security measures designed to prevent a recurrence of such an attack, and to protect the privacy of Madvapes valued customers. The company also is working closely with our credit card processing company to ensure the incident is properly addressed.

As a precautionary measure, we recommend that you remain vigilant by reviewing your account statements and credit reports closely. If you detect any suspicious activity on an account, you should promptly notify the financial institution or company with which the account is maintained. Some additional suggested steps you may want to consider immediately follows this letter."

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Just received an email from madvapes......thanks a lot guys , for letting someone steal my info and canceling my order.

That's a start. BIG props to Madvapes.

Now if the other 4-5 vendors who have been compromised would admit to it. Yea, whether it is their CC processor or not, it is THEIR issue to deal with......and they need to make it right.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
I wish I believed it. I think it sounds more like they are actively trying to cover their own ... both from a reputation and liability stand point. I am tired of it, I have already had my CC info stolen once in the last month. The E-cig industry is booming and these A-list companies are making money 24/7....if they want to play the game they need to come prepared and be spending more on security.

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
As always, there needs to be a sarcasm button. If I am reading this as you intended, it does sound as if you are mad at madvapes. While I do not blame you at all, it is important to remember these F'ing hacker jag-offs are the ones who deserve the brunt of it. As someone who knows some IT peeps, it doesn't matter who the host site is. If someone wants your info bad enough they will get it. I think it at last says a little about MV that they at least told you. A lot of places wouldn't bother to do that. That being said, and with many other reports such as yours I will now only shop online with a prepaid card, no matter who I'm buying from (e-cig or other). Sorry to hear this man, hope a delayed order is the worst this incident brings you!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I wish I believed it. I think it sounds more like they are actively trying to cover their own ... both from a reputation and liability stand point. I am tired of it, I have already had my CC info stolen once in the last month. The E-cig industry is booming and these A-list companies are making money 24/7....if they want to play the game they need to come prepared and be spending more on security.

easy to say, but even companies like sony and PSN as well as citi bank themselves are being hacked regularly, even china got caught hacking the pentagon its easy to blame a vendor when the actual problem lies more on the webhosting companies as they are usually the ones who offer certain processing companies. and some dont allow services they dont offer. if the hackers want in they will find a way.

what needs to happen now is serious thought to do a more secure ordering system on the little businesses that thought the world was there oyster for a 14.99 a month hosting fee.

this is a quickly expanding market and filled with people who are new to internet booms. i myself was hit 2 weeks ago. while i would like them to address the problem i dont blame them, unless they dont do anything about it. i give props to MV for admitting it happened as other vendors have already posted the " it wasnt us guaranteed and you cant prove it' replies.

the best bet right now is prepaid debt cards or places that accept paypal.

Last edited:

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Received the e-mail here as well. And during my first, and probably last, order too.

Forget for a while the arguments over whether vaping is safe, risky but better than smoking, or whatnot. Seems like lately the biggest risk is ordering vaping gear in the first place. :(
Just be vigilant with your info... Don't give up on vaping... Identity theft is the fastest growing form of fraud. Kinda pisses me off that the govt issues you ssn's and other #s but doesnt protect them. You have to have a CC to do almost anything, but providers don't protect the #s either. I say anyone caught in such activities should be hanged immediately!!!

Last edited:

iceman68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
So am I the only one who got hacked once and Immediately switched to using virtual credit cards?

My CC got hacked once and since then I only use randomly generated secure account numbers. Once the number is linked to a specific vendor it can only be used at that vendor. Several CC issuers offer similar security features.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
... thanks a lot guys , for letting someone steal my info and canceling my order.

I wish I believed it. I think it sounds more like they are actively trying to cover their own ... both from a reputation and liability stand point. I am tired of it...

Well at least ya have a well earned ECF nomer!

Once ya realize that it's not just the vaping industry being 'hacked', maybe you'll appreciate the efforts of our vendors to let you know of the issue... <click>

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
So am I the only one who got hacked once and Immediately switched to using virtual credit cards?

Thank you for mentioning this.. when i first read about these issues i immediately went to virtual numbers.. it blows my mind when i read the threads about people's cards getting compromised .. and someone will chime in with.. "this is the 3rd time on the same card!" What in the hell? If you don't take measures after getting hit the first time.. then it's hard to feel sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread