Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Just picked this up from the local B&M and threw a quick 26g .4ohm build on it, I am very, VERY impressed. I normally wouldn't make a thread about a new atty I picked up, but I'm so excited about the Magma I couldn't help myself.

3.jpg 6.jpg

There were several features that stuck out on the Magma as being fairly unique (although there are some other drippers with similar features) but more importantly, they all work perfectly.

From the outside you can see the adjustable air-flow ring, which is free-spinning, but held in place by the top cap. You can switch between single-coil and dual-coil mode, and in both you have three different air-hole sizes to choose from. Because the ring is free spinning it's very easy to adjust, no killing your fingers trying to spin a right ring like on some AFC designs.

The top cap is threaded on so there are no chances of a cap falling off in your pocket, and it also locks the AFC ring in place. The lack of O-rings initially worried me, but I'm not getting any air-leakage or juice leakage from the top cap, so it seems to be a non-issue. And no o-rings to wear out or get stuck.

Once you get the cap off you see it has a deep juice reservoir, and uses a deck airflow system. Having had a few drippers in the past with deck air I was worried about it being restrictive, but airflow is excellent.

1.jpg 5.jpg

The posts are evenly spaced, tall, and have good sized wire holes, but you only have two. I had no issue getting a 26g dual build in there, so unless you are using some twisted ribbon I doubt you'll have issues with fitting your wire in there. Everything is stainless as you would expect (304 IIRC) so no need to replace screws or anything.

The juice well is quite deep, the marks on my syringe are worn off, but if I had to guess I'd say if fits about 2ml of juice. When completely full to the point where juice is starting to pool on the deck, if left on its side for awhile I got a tiny amount of juice out of the air hole, but other than that I get no leaking of any kind.

The last feature that I didn't even notice until after I built the thing, is the domed top cap. This reduces the chamber volume a bit, and has to be contributing to better flavor, because I'm getting flavor that just blows away most of my other drippers. The draw is very smooth and hard to describe, more of a "wooshing" instead of "sucking" feeling if that makes any sense.

4.jpg

Overall this instantly became my favorite dripper. You can load it with a ton of juice, and it leaks less than any other dripper I've used (deck or side air hole) Flavor beats pretty much every other dripper I've tried, Although tiny drippers like the Igo-S and ERA, or the immortalizer are probably about equal IMHO. Finish is very good, everything moves and fits smooth and tight.

There are other drippers out there with similar features, but the Magma seems to have brought them all together in one device that just works perfect. I only have a few hours time with it so far, but I can't find a single complaint, and I tried ;)

I paid a few bucks over 100, which seems on par with online prices. Maybe a bit high for a dripper, but it's well worth the price!

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I would as well. I'm very interested in this, whats the price on these? I may just NEED one, moar piks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Price is a little over $100 most places online I've seen. I got some more pics in the original post, and here is one with the coils firing (could only fit 5 pics in the OP)

2.jpg

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
The only difference from this and my trident v2 are the spherical inside of the cap, and the size of the deep well. I think I'll stick to my trident on this one. But very very nice rda you have there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Trident doesn't have bottom feeding airflow. This is a completely different concept. It's sexy as hell though.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
The only difference from this and my trident v2 are the spherical inside of the cap, and the size of the deep well. I think I'll stick to my trident on this one. But very very nice rda you have there.
eerrrmmm no, Trident v2 is a very nice standard 3 post adjustable side airflow RDA. I like mine, I used to love it.

The Trident doesn't have bottom feeding airflow. This is a completely different concept. It's sexy as hell though.

You are correct Trident V2 is sexy as hell, I used to love it, the Magma blows it away, it blows my Nimbus and Patriots out of the water as well. :)

The Magma is hands down the best flavor from an RDA I have yet to date. It has me wanting to try some other bottom air channel atties. My one and only issue with this atty is I have to be carefull and route the cotton towards the posts keeping the wicks off of the sides of the deck. I am vaping some 50/50 juice in it, when the wicks are laying on the edge of the deck the juice tends to creep over and down the air hole coming out of the side. Mind you this is still less leaking than I have had in any other RDA. Certainly less than my Omega.
With my 2nd cotton build in it I counted 44 drops to full drip well and saturated wicks. That is a bit over 2 mills. Vaping it down to reduced vapor it takes 30 drops to fill it back up. I have conventional build in .6 dual micros with 28 gauge. Another thing I noticed with this build I mentioned above is that I had some leakage with the wicks on the edge of the deck. I am one that likes to have my coils as close to the air hole as possible. I did this on the initial build. I wound up picking them up off of the deck to where they were even with the wire trap holes in the posts. This resolved some of the creeping of juice into the air holes, much to my surprise this did not effect flavor or throat hit for me. This is a solid, well built RDA. I am looking forward to some more time with it. My only regret is that I did not purchase 2 of them. Hopefully in the next few months I will have a few "similar in concept" RDAs to compare it to.
Most notably the Achilles and the Hermes, maybe even a Yaeliq if I can jump on one fast enough when he releases the next batch.

OK so yeah ~$110ish for the RDA, I thought for 2 days before I bought this one. I typically will not pay more than 75 for an RDA and usually wait for a trade or used one from friends locally if they cost more than that.

I would spend another $110ish on this again were it not for a few similar ones releasing this year.

This thing SHINES on the Hana V3, and I mean SHINES!

WAzx0fK.png

On THE Gus Lord

EaLLN8C.png

Edit: Forgot to mention that a few of the thing Todd had issues with in his review of this RDA have been fixed. The wire trap holes are the same height in the posts. The posts do not lean, there is an insulator/brace that reinforces them.

Last edited:

Jonathan Rizo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Riverside, California, United States
AHHH, so sexy! I want one hah. definitely dont need the nimbus or igo w-3 anymore... all i'll want or need is my kayfun and this bad boy. ... grrr gotta find a way to justify the expense to the wife! thanks for all the pics and info.. definitely an amazing rda you got there

fjgotgame24

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
North Jersey
I got one of these from the classifieds however, I've been having trouble finding the flavor with cotton + microcoils. I dont know what it is but Im getting that sweet cotton taste over the flavor. Im at .8 ohms and have tried different lenghts/widths of cotton but still its the same. On my first setup it was vaping quite nicely but its been about 2 days of tinkering and I cannot figure out whats going on. Usually RDA's are more forgiving as opposed to a Kafyun type atty or Genesis where you kind of have to get the setup just right in order for the flavor and vapor to come together. For example, my Igo-W has seen tons of builds micro,nano,regular,single,dual, high-low ohms, etc. but whatever it is the flavor is usually solid if not great. I figure with a high end atty the performance would be amazing so wth is going on.
If I had to take shot as to why it taste so funny, I would say its because of the extra cotton that sits in the well with the soaked up juice. It never gets burned and really only wicks a portion of the juice up to the coils. The rest of the juice is just sitting there getting a sauna treatment and I think thats what creates a funky taste. Its like barely vaporized vapor all in my vapor...?!?! Lol idk, im disappointed thus far.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I got one of these from the classifieds however, I've been having trouble finding the flavor with cotton + microcoils. I dont know what it is but Im getting that sweet cotton taste over the flavor. Im at .8 ohms and have tried different lenghts/widths of cotton but still its the same. On my first setup it was vaping quite nicely but its been about 2 days of tinkering and I cannot figure out whats going on. Usually RDA's are more forgiving as opposed to a Kafyun type atty or Genesis where you kind of have to get the setup just right in order for the flavor and vapor to come together. For example, my Igo-W has seen tons of builds micro,nano,regular,single,dual, high-low ohms, etc. but whatever it is the flavor is usually solid if not great. I figure with a high end atty the performance would be amazing so wth is going on.
If I had to take shot as to why it taste so funny, I would say its because of the extra cotton that sits in the well with the soaked up juice. It never gets burned and really only wicks a portion of the juice up to the coils. The rest of the juice is just sitting there getting a sauna treatment and I think thats what creates a funky taste. Its like barely vaporized vapor all in my vapor...?!?! Lol idk, im disappointed thus far.

Interesting, perhaps a larger diameter coil would be better? And, obvious question, but the cotton isn't too tight in the coil, or jammed in the well too much is it? Maybe the 90 degree turn in the wick is getting pinched off or something. Do you have the well full of cotton, or just have the wicks run straight down to the bottom?

I'm familiar with flavor loss, like when chain vaping a high powered genny for example, but I haven't experienced that with the Magma, and I've chain vaped the entire well dry in one sitting more than a few times so far.

My guess would be something setup related, but it's sometimes hard to figure out that certain variable. I'd definitely try a larger diameter coil though, and bring the coil fairly close to the air hole if it isn't already.

If you want to give it away, I'll take it ;)

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
I'll give it a shot with larger coils but even then it's an rda and im surprised I need to get a specific setup. Hopefully it will be worth it

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I have mine set up with micros wound on a 5/64, I think they are micros, whatever you cool kids are calling them these days. I hope you get it working for you. If not PM me when you put it back on the classies :)

Jonathan Rizo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Riverside, California, United States
I have mine set up with micros wound on a 5/64, I think they are micros, whatever you cool kids are calling them these days. I hope you get it working for you. If not PM me when you put it back on the classies :)

haha +1... I'd like to pick one up... waiting on paypal to get verified so I can get verified here too! Good luck though, I'd also say it could be something setup related, everything has it's quirks, don't get discouraged man.

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
I just got the magma from Refined Vaper in Austin... Maybe that's where you got yours OP?

It's pretty neat. I like the concept. The flavor is different, I also get a little more cotton taste than other droppers I've tried.

Seems well built, but Samolet I don't think it's in the same league quality wise as the quasar. Close but not there. As for flavor and vapor, I need to try it for a few more days side by side.

SamNapolitanke

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Tempe, AZ
I just got the magma from Refined Vaper in Austin... Maybe that's where you got yours OP?

It's pretty neat. I like the concept. The flavor is different, I also get a little more cotton taste than other droppers I've tried.

Seems well built, but Samolet I don't think it's in the same league quality wise as the quasar. Close but not there. As for flavor and vapor, I need to try it for a few more days side by side.

I saw a couple of reviews that agree with you, im very curious about the deck air system... this just makes sense to me, air flow from under the coil.

fjgotgame24

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
North Jersey
Question, do you make your wicks extra long so you can stuff it in the wells, or do you keep it normal length and then just fill the wells with juice. In OP's pic with his coils, it seems as if there is very little cotton going into the wells that has a pool of juice. I been stuffing the wells with extra long wick and just saturating the crap out of it and also tried sera to hold the juice. Im going to have to try regular length wick with lots of liquid in the wells since I've yet to take advantage of the Magmas capacity. So far its pretty much been working for me but just like a regular dripper, I need to drip constantly or itll get dry even with the saturated ends of the wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread