RDA Magma RDA: Your Favorite Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndizzle07

Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Phoenix
Just a simple 26g dual .34Ω build. My lowest yet. Loving it! It rates right up there with my beloved Plume Veil.

Sorry to say but this is an Infinite Clone. Sorry in that the craftsmanship and materials make me not want to buy the authentic. I don't know how it could be better than this. I got mine for 32 bux at Magma RDA Clone by Infinite - Eciggity. Love it!

magmacoil1.jpg

ive had my magma built like this for 2 weeks but im lost when it comes to wicking
how much cotton do you use? do i want to stuff the whole well or just loosely put some down there?
i use rayon cellucotton
ive always used my trusty KFL+ and russian 91 this is my first time using a rda and dual coil.

any pics of a set up like this w/ cotton would be very helpful.

Last edited:

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
ive had my magma built like this for like 2 weeks but im lost when it comes to wicking
how much cotton do you use? do i want to stuff the whole well or just loosely put some down there?
i use rayon cellucotton
ive always used my trusty KFL+ and russian 91 this is my first time using a RDA and dual coil.

any pics of a set up like this w/ cotton would be very helpful.

That's an older build of mine. Check this thread for pix of the way I wicked with CC: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...agma-build-w-rayon-perhaps-tutorial-some.html

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Dual coil,28 ga K,cotton, at .8 ohms.I removed the airflow ring and use with both 3 mill holes. i removed the top cap and now screws down real tight and BONE DRY....i alos have an oring just under the threads of the ''body''.

UPDATE:

I just sanded a few mill off the top airfow ring as so the top cap screws down all the way now to completely make it air tight.Now i can adjust to any hole size and BONE DRY.

Last edited:

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Dual 28 ga kanthal microcoils, 2mm (app. 5/64in) dia, 7 wraps metered at 0.54. I just switched from dual 26ga 8 wraps, resistance was slightly lower (~0.49). Both wicked with cotton, coils about 1mm off the airholes, AFC ring removed.

Heat - flavor - vapor:
26 gauge was pretty hot for me, and the atty got pretty hot when chain vaping. Flavor was strong, but missing nuances. Vapor production was high. Not quite cloud competition, but still blowing some thick clouds.
28 gauge is still warm, but much cooler than the 26 gauge. A lot more comfortable for me. Flavor is really popping on this build. Vapor is a little less, but not by much.

I've also tried single coils, 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 ohm. Single coil wasn't for me, but some would like it better. Significantly less vapor, but a lot more throat hit and good flavor. Also worked well for mouth-to-lung, with the AFC dialed down.

I'm a simple coil type of guy, not too interested in the more complex builds like stove tops or nanos. Sure, you can build those on a Magma, but it's not really set up that well for them. Those juice wells just beg for some neat cotton tails to get tucked down in and suck up the juice. Also tried vertical coils, but wasn't a fan, primarily because of wicking. I really feel that simple builds work just as well as complex ones, and a lot easier to do with less wicking. Just my $.02.

For cotton wicks, less is more. I leave the juice wells pretty open, with the wicks running down a little over halfway to the bottom, leaving the middle of the well wide open. Very few leaks, unless I dump in a ml or more and lay it on its side.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
The evolution continues - asked myself, "Do I really need to sub ohm on the IPV2?" Answer is nope. Don't have to at all. New build: dual 30 gauge, 11 wraps, 1.26 ohms, currently running 27 watts.

Vape is a bit on the cool side, very little heat. Coil doesn't require any heat up time. Flavor is really nice. Vapor is surprisingly thick, probably because I take longer pulls.

Tons of surface area on these coils = great flavor. Zero heat up time and enough vapor to satisfy.

The more I play with this atty, the more I like it. It's freaking versatile - all of the builds I've put on it have vaped well, just different. It's really possible to dial this thing in for exactly what you're looking for.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Any tips on how to avoid spit back? I have a dual parallel 26ga 0.5 ohm setup and i get a lot of hot juice on my tongue. It also leaks after using it for a while.

It's all in the drip tip. Get a wide bore drip tip, they never fail. Otherwise, theres a few out there that are good about not spitting back.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Any tips on how to avoid spit back? I have a dual parallel 26ga 0.5 ohm setup and i get a lot of hot juice on my tongue. It also leaks after using it for a while.

Wide bore drip tips will help, but the problem may also be your wicking. Cotton's kind of tricky to get right, since it soaks up juice like a sponge, but doesn't actually wick all that well. Also, not all cotton is created equal - shorter, less parallel fibers wick less and hold more, longer parallel fibers carry liquid better. I've been using rayon (cellucotton) wicking, which is very similar to cotton, but has a lot longer fibers all lined up pretty straight. I also don't use very long tails, just enough to go a little over halfway down the drip wells. Think of the cotton just as a way for juice to get from point A to point B, and not as something to hold juice. If your coils are too saturated, they're going to pop and spit.

Wouldn't hurt just to pull the cotton and re-wick - doesn't take too long, and if it's not working quite right, it's simple to pull it and re-wick again. Heavy gauge wire is going to pop and spit more than higher gauge. If you have a regulated mod that can push some decent wattage, you could try using some thinner wire. Your ohms will come out higher, but you can always up the voltage and still get plenty of power going through.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Wide bore drip tips will help, but the problem may also be your wicking. Cotton's kind of tricky to get right, since it soaks up juice like a sponge, but doesn't actually wick all that well. Also, not all cotton is created equal - shorter, less parallel fibers wick less and hold more, longer parallel fibers carry liquid better. I've been using rayon (cellucotton) wicking, which is very similar to cotton, but has a lot longer fibers all lined up pretty straight. I also don't use very long tails, just enough to go a little over halfway down the drip wells. Think of the cotton just as a way for juice to get from point A to point B, and not as something to hold juice. If your coils are too saturated, they're going to pop and spit.

Wouldn't hurt just to pull the cotton and re-wick - doesn't take too long, and if it's not working quite right, it's simple to pull it and re-wick again. Heavy gauge wire is going to pop and spit more than higher gauge. If you have a regulated mod that can push some decent wattage, you could try using some thinner wire. Your ohms will come out higher, but you can always up the voltage and still get plenty of power going through.

Very true. This will avoid having to purchase a new drip tip. The wide bore drip tip will fix the problem but not at it's root. I'm the kind of person that fills the juice well completely full of juice so the drip tip is my only option and it works great!

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Yay! I finally found the RDA, RBA, RTA, etc section! Well thats good.

Ohkay, so I just got a Magma today and I know these are very popular with the flavor chaser's out there. I wanted to see what everyone's favorite builds on these RDA's are?

Please answer in this format:

Dual or single coil?
What gauge kanthal?
What size wrapping post?
Total resistance?
Wicking process/setup?
Any other information you feel is important.

Thanks erraybudday, my first build on it was a dual coil, 24 gauge kanthal, 1.5mm post, 0.28Ω, wick threaded through the coil and each end tucked in the respective juice well. I didn't like it very much.

~ Cullin

I use a single 1.5 coil using 28 or 29 gauge kanthal around a 2mm drill, and very little KD cotton.... This is my all day vape and I never "drip" once :) IMG_20140909_001122.jpg

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Thanks for all the responses!

Well since my first silly build on the magma (who builds at 0.28 or below on a magma besides that Gplat thread the other day? lol) I've found my Vape happy place with the magma and DNA 30 combo.

26 gauge kanthal single coil wrapped 9 times with a 3.25mm mandrel for 1.36 ohms. It is heaven at 22.5W.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Still rocking the dual 30 gauge, 11 wraps on a 5/64th in bit, 1.25 ohms. Wicked with enough rayon to give some resistance when pulling it through, ends almost long enough to touch the bottom of the well.

25-30 watts, depending on the juice. Flavor pretty much kicks me in the face, almost too much flavor for some liquids. Rayon wicks like a champ, very few dry hits.

6a2f710bc563f462f3bf4dc5639cb0e6.jpg

62b6b2f9b70c4d7b553f52ac18f332ba.jpg

d0852ad5a300c5246bbcc8586544fcd9.jpg

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I've drilled the outlet air holes to ~2.7mm to match the inlets and like to build the coils so they are just slightly wider than the airholes. On a mech I target 0.7Ω, as this gives me the temperature of vapour I like in the 20-25 watt range over the course of the battery's discharge (3.8-4.2v).

My final build is always the same - dual 1.4Ω coils (0.7Ω effective) with 27ga Kanthal, exactly 3mm in diameter, spaced exactly 1mm above the holes (using a 1mm feeler) and parallel to the posts. Legs are 4mm total length, 3mm to pin. Wicked with 3.5mm strips of Japanese cotton, either Shiseido or Koh Gen Do.

This is my preferred setup for flavour. Once I dialed this in, I premade about 20 coils, trimmed, level, primed (fired and 'squeezed') and ready to install, so swaps are simple and quick.

I tried a single coil, and flavour was good, but the vapour wasn't satisfying. I also run the Magma without the air control ring entirely. With the widened air outlets, this has eliminated whistling and allows for a very smooth draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread