Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have one and use it mostly for mixes at 120mls or over. Mine also has the hot plate and it helps speed steeping a bit.

I mix for a couple friends so mine gets a fair amount of use but I'm mixing 500mls at a time.
I have always been worried the mag field would not be strong enough to stir liquids as viscous as a high-VG mix. Reading your post, I guess I need to rethink. I had been considering building a paddle stirrer using a sewing machine motor for power.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I have several stir plates and 1000/2000ml beakers for homebrewing, picked up a couple of 100ml beakers and short stir bars for DIY, works fine in 70vg mixes for me. I will make 7 different recipes, 100ml each, when I mix, stir one beaker while I'm making the next recipe so it gets plenty of blending.

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I have always been worried the mag field would not be strong enough to stir liquids as viscous as a high-VG mix. Reading your post, I guess I need to rethink. I had been considering building a paddle stirrer using a sewing machine motor for power.

I start with the PG and the flavors on the bottom and add the vg on the top. I add speed to the stirrer and it draws the VG into the mix. If you get one with a heat plate it warms the liquid and it thins, you can adjust the speed up at that point. I walk away for an hour and let it do it thing.

{edit} And I wanted to add that whatever you do don't buy the Nitecore stirrer, tried two of them, both returned because there was to much vibration and the beakers almost feel off the plate.

Last edited:
I start with the PG and the flavors on the bottom and add the vg on the top. I add speed to the stirrer and it draws the VG into the mix. If you get one with a heat plate it warms the liquid and it thins, you can adjust the speed up at that point. I walk away for an hour and let it do it thing.

{edit} And I wanted to add that whatever you do don't buy the Nitecore stirrer, tried two of them, both returned because there was to much vibration and the beakers almost feel off the plate.

This is the one I was considering.

https://www.amazon.com/Price-Plate-...=1&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_2&smid=A3GLYEL1KV63UN

Reactions: stols001

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City

That's the one I own and it's been pretty solid. The heat adjustment gets some getting used to, a small tweak and the plate can get warm quick. I used a sharpie to mark mine to know it's sweet spot. The control to the stirrer is nice, it allows you to fine tune the speed to get the Vortex Scott mentioned in his post. Overall I like to for mixing when I need to speed up the process.

That's the one I own and it's been pretty solid. The heat adjustment gets some getting used to, a small tweak and the plate can get warm quick. I used a sharpie to mark mine to know it's sweet spot. The control to the stirrer is nice, it allows you to fine tune the speed to get the Vortex Scott mentioned in his post. Overall I like to for mixing when I need to speed up the process.
Thanks for the vote of confidence for the model I am considering. Much appreciated.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I made one out of a project box, comp fan, HD magnet and a fan controller well over 2 years ago and its still running just great. With the right container I can mix 200mls with a 20mm stirbar but 100mls is the perfect size mix. Its well worth going onto YouTube and searching one out and build it. Add all the ingredients except the nic, set a timer then walk away. Next day after the bubbles subside I add the nic and mix slower. I really can't say if it shortens steep time but I don't have to sit and shake containers all the time. I do the initial mixing then shelf until I want to transfer some into a smaller jug, plunk a stirbar in then remix for several minutes and funnel into a usable jug.
W4cZ1vD.jpg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Any reason for adding nicotine the next day on your mixing, only I've always mixed all as one so the atoms get to
know each other quicker:).

Its more of a preference. I see when mixing your adding some air to the mix cause after a while there seems to be more bubbles in my jars than I started with. Its the added air that begins to oxidize the nic so having least as possible bubbles in the mix in theory the nic won't oxidize as fast. Also all the added air can flatten out some flavors so if your shaking a jug several times a day and/or removing the tip to replace the old air with new air then flavor could be dissipating with the air. That's why those who use a drink frother then beat the pizz out of a mix I don't think is doing any good then add nic into that mix then froth it, you maybe speed up steeping but also oxidizing the nic so the mix begins to darken faster than it should.
I use to make a nicless mix then let it steep for weeks, add the nic, steep another week then vape. I didn't know that the nic is a key element in the initial steep process but have since changed my ways. I don't need to create a vortex of any sort even though its very hard with ejuice unless the container is too big for the size of mix.
I add the PG and flavor(s), mix a few minutes then add the VG and mix for a couple hours fast enough to see all the liquid moving around. Set overnight, add the nic and mix for another hour or so at a slower speed but all the liquid is moving. The only air bubbles added are from the nic before scaling but I more swirl my bottle of nic than shake.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
So, those who bought a commercially sold stirrer plate and have also used the computer fan and magnet homemade type that's built into a project box, how do they compare in speed and efficiency? Just curious.
Good question Dave; I have never heard a comparison, and I would be curious too.:thumbs:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
o, those who bought a commercially sold stirrer plate and have also used the computer fan and magnet homemade type that's built into a project box, how do they compare in speed and efficiency? Just curious.
Good question Dave; I have never heard a comparison, and I would be curious too.:thumbs:
Sorry to be kinda super late to the party but I really don't know if there is any real difference between DIY or storebought mixer. I do know computer fans come in different RPM specs, 1200, 2000, 2500 and higher I think without looking it up. I don't know the spec on my fan cause it lost its label eons ago and removing the blades also adds RPM cause no resistance from the blades.
You have to have some sorts speed control if its a potientometer or what I have is a comp fan controller. At first I used a multi adapter, the 3, 6, 9, 12 volt so it was the 9 was too slow then the 12 too fast and threw the bar or once the liquid gets moving the bar speeds up a bit then again enough to throw it at anytime.
I adapted a Ebay little 5mm LED light on the mixing deck, I have no blades I can put it right under the jar and it lights up the mix so I can watch it mix easily without having to shine a flashlight to see.
Commercial mixer....100 bucks plus. My mixer should have been @25 bucks but I already had all the parts(the box is the most expensive part) except the 12 volt switch that was 6 bucks, 2nd hand comp speed control -3 bucks, the LED lights -4 bucks for 10 of them and the volt meter to use for speed reading but is purely for looks... another 4 bucks. My mixer was @17 bucks and IMO does the exact same job but doesn't heat and I don't mix liters at a time to require industrial power to run.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I have done DIY for almost 5 years (but do not use nicotine in it). Like with all aspects of vaping my DIY path was a progressive one in that I tried out almost all of the methods along the way as I learned about them. But the one I settled on back in the summer of 2016 was a magnetic stir plate. I had mine made for me by a gent in Latvia... a stir plate only with no heat. I had used carefully controlled heat during the short 'Crock Pot' days and longer commercial UC days. But I liked the results better without heat and the stir plate gets it done much faster than they did. I vape VG Heavy to 100% VG liquids, and this plate handles them just fine when at room temperature. I simply set the speed to a small vortex so as to not incorporate excess air into the mix, and let it run until thoroughly blended. How long depends on the recipe, but I have redesigned many of my recipes to be 'stir & vape'. Now days I typically only mix 120ml batches of my so called ADV's (in the old days up to 500ml or 1 liter batches). But I also use the plate for 30ml test batches - all in covered flask or beaker lab glass. DIY now is no fuss, no muss and as easy as it gets for me.

stirplate160812.jpg

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I just made one for about 20 bucks. This works OK, but my Apera 801 is more powerful and works better with max VG. This one is a computer fan in a Rubbermaid container, with a PWM speed control.

Picture shows the stirrer pulling a vortex in a 50ml mix of 80% VG and 20% water (I didn't have any PG to test). It will mix small batches of max VG juice with a small flea, but is more of a gentle stir - with no vortex.

stir1.jpg
stir2.jpg
stir.jpg
stir4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread