Magnetic Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
Ok so I have sigelei 19 and I did some minor mods to it. I took out the top magnet, added a larger brass screw to the 510, flat sanded the top cap. Then I decided to do a little torching.... and I did it very poorly. I melted the derlin in the switch assembly and now the switch is completely useless. Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of how the magnetic switch in the Nzonic works? I figured since I destroyed the current switch assembly I might as well try and make a new one. I think it would be pretty cool if I could put together a true magnetic switch but I have no idea how it works. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of my mod and the melted switch.
photo (5).jpg photo (6).jpg

uxmlrl

Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Laurel, MS, United States
As far as I know those neodymium magnets are nickel plated, but they only have to conduct electricity. They don't need brass or any other specific metal to do that. Nothing in between, just an air gap. If I understand this switch right, it looks like the cap would "float" and when you press it, the two magnets touch, and the circuit gets completed and sent through the top magnet, cap, and on to the housing.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I would expect their are ring magnets and slide on the center post, but I've been wrong before about these switches. It seems from the mod you mentioned above that one magnet is in the battery body and is repelled by one in the switch. But as said you can replace a spring with two ring magnets very simply.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
Only way I could try to make it work would be to have it in my hands, disassemble and show you, myself. You could post a pic of the disassembled switch assembly, and I may be able to explain.
Here is the current switch disassembled.
photo (7).jpg
From left to right
Switch, Button, Locking Ring, Switch housing (complete with destroyed melted derlin!) and the switch spring. The problem is the derlin is completely destroyed and will not seat the switch below contact with the battery (see pic in first post). I wouldn't mind fixing the current setup but I would really like to make it a fully magnetic, spring free switching assembly. I know I will need to replace the delrin or at least replace it with something.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
The ring magnets will be installed opposing each other on the shaft of the switch. You'll need caliper to measure inside diameter of the housing and outside diameter of the shaft and depth to judge which ring magnets to order. K&J Megnetic has a decent selection. As far as the delrin insulator, that's the hiccup in the reassembly. Basically the magnets should seat where the spring is engineered to go. Get that delrin fixed and go from there.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Just eyeballing the parts, it looks like the tolerances for where the spring sits are pretty snug on the spring OD from the insulator, and a little more forgiving on the ID, but not much more. I would be curious what those measurements are, as you may need to change something to fit magnets, either a thinner insulator or thinner post shaft (or both). For a delrin replacement, part of a marking pen tube that fits would work well, cut and then sanded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread